Rambling incoherent thoughts.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with you,
and you are right about us keep quiet deliberately.
We have decided at this point, it is to keep things low profile.

It hurts very much, when we worked on the IP for so long, put in lots of works for the fans.
And a new brand jump in, people started to say hurtful things on us (yes, the Inart thread broke our heart)

It is to prove why all the brands do not interact with fans at all, because at the end of the day, it doesn't seen to matter
I can only imagine how stressful your situation now is and I am wishing you all the best.

I am personally planning to collect both Asmus and InArt figures at the same time. I will buy your Crown Series Gandalf the White and I will do the same with InArt. I am just a huge fan of LOTR and Hobbit so I have no problem having multiple Gandalfs, Aragorn's, etc. on my display.

Unfortunately, there are many QC issues you lately had but many of us still do love your products, and if you keep improving you will gain a lot of new customers even if you increase the prices. I would love you to keep improving your head sculpts quality, focus on the QC issues, and maybe give us some innovation. And please, provide a diorama base option (luxury/deluxe edition) as MUCH as possible, they give so much value and make the figures look so much better on display.

I wish @Asmus all the best and I can not wait for the Gollum Luxury and Bilbo figures. And please, announce that Gandalf the White, Thranduil 2.0, and Boromir 2.0 soon, so I can preorder.

Last edited:
Yeah, if there's anyone who can speak to this, it's @R_R_X. The poor guy went through some hell in the Arthur Morgan thread during all of those delays. And I believe he said this was one of the more civil places during all of that, lol. I genuinely felt bad for him - and I'm a guy who still doesn't have my Arthur figure. Point being there, no one should be unfair to the company reps for doing their jobs.

As far as @Asmus, I do think a lot of the commentary towards them in the InArt thread was unjustified. It's really not unfair to say that a lot of the Asmus sculpts need improvement. And yes, their customer service is slow. But the customer service has always been fair. As far as the figures - the tailoring and accessories have been some of the best in the one sixth game for a while now. They excel at that. Yes, there's been some mistakes, but they haven't done anything to justify the over the top criticisms they've gotten in the Lord of the Rings threads.

I don't blame Asmus for stepping back. I can understand that I wouldn't want to come here and deal with this too. But I do hope they remember the many supporters who have stuck with them through thick and thin and have still offered ways to continue supporting them, be it through constructive criticism, product suggests or just general conversation.
@Asmus - you guys do what is best for you. I think your supporters will understand your position. I just hope you will find a way to listen to our feedback and suggestions and keep communication open with us. We want to be your fans and we want you to give us great Lord of the Rings figures that we'll be proud to show off.

Hear, hear. Was always less enthusiastic and more suspicious of InArt's plans anyway. IMO from a business standpoint, it doesn't make sense that a company known (I guess) for lifelike busts isn't gonna carry on in the 1/6 line. Which, assuming InArt follows through, IMO doesn't mean "affordable".:horror

And there's no guarantee, no matter how much you charge. For example, if the pictures on the statue forum for the Prime One production piece are accurate, IMO that's a problem $$$$. WETA churns out statues 400$ + and it's always a toss-up whether you receive perfection - or the recent problems with the googly eyed Galadriel.

Any company like ASMUS who puts out stuff that I wasn't even planning to buy, but it's so good as well as being affordable, is a company I feel the warm fuzzies about(y). Like, for me, Elrond. And for that matter, Gimli - wasn't even gonna do a lot of LOTR, but I ended up with two Gimlis, thanx to the excellence of the figure and those beautiful diecast axes.

Plus, ASMUS does unexpected amazing stuff like the Twilight King and MOS - also beautiful figures that I hadn't planned on buying. They pull off some clever costuming too - like with my all time favorite Thorin. Not the easiest to costume or develop, but absolutely perfect scale materials, great sculpt, accessories, beautifully detailed diecast Orcrist, AND a specially developed body. AND diorama backgrounds (like I wasn't gonna get the DX Legolas, but the in-hand pics of Helm's Deep looked awesome!)

Looking at all the goodies that came with Thorin (including the pipe fans wanted), young Bilbo, Gimli, I've thought off and on ASMUS spoiled us, 'coz companies like HT have gotten pretty accessory-stingy. Anyway, I hope ASMUS knows they ARE appreciated and not everyone falling over themselves with a new company coming on board. ASMUS would know as well as anyone, as they have dealt with design and production, what it takes to get a good product out the door - at a price the market will put up with.

Finally, I'm suspicious of InArt potentially using silicon, after reading about folks powdering their Phicen figures as part of upkeep (never mind the splitting). I don't KNOW what InART is doing. But I can take my ASMUS figs outside and work with them, and not worry about it. They are holding up beautifully.

TBH I hope ASMUS blows off the negative comments and carries on with INTERESTING releases - stuff I suspect other companies would never do. I'm to the point am so weary of the Aragorn, Gandalf, Legolas releases. Thanx to ASMUS (since I bought theirs) and the statue releases - 'coz it looks like WETA is gonna release another Aragorn too. Bring on Thranduil, dwarves, Mirkwood elves, a battle Thorin, Dain...anyway I hope to pick up ASMUS' Nazgul. ASMUS can be proud of their work, bumps in the road or not. It's not like HT and other companies haven't had their issues. Like HT's cheap displays, if you get any at all.

What I've noticed many times over the years with this hobby is that when something new is revealed, many people decide to crap all over the previous line(s). There really is no need for that.
LOL that's until u get your shiny new figure and realize corners got cut in production, or the seams of the costume are splitting, or there's articulation problems...

Anyway I srsly doubt InArt is gonna go heavily into Middle Earth; that's the difference between a company who has a real love about the property; and a company who gets a license and is only gonna produce "main" characters, leaving your Middle Earth shelves kinda sparse.

Hear, hear. Was always less enthusiastic and more suspicious of InArt's plans anyway. IMO from a business standpoint, it doesn't make sense that a company known (I guess) for lifelike busts isn't gonna carry on in the 1/6 line. Which, assuming InArt follows through, IMO doesn't mean "affordable".:horror

And there's no guarantee, no matter how much you charge. For example, if the pictures on the statue forum for the Prime One production piece are accurate, IMO that's a problem $$$$. WETA churns out statues 400$ + and it's always a toss-up whether you receive perfection - or the recent problems with the googly eyed Galadriel.

Any company like ASMUS who puts out stuff that I wasn't even planning to buy, but it's so good as well as being affordable, is a company I feel the warm fuzzies about(y). Like, for me, Elrond. And for that matter, Gimli - wasn't even gonna do a lot of LOTR, but I ended up with two Gimlis, thanx to the excellence of the figure and those beautiful diecast axes.

Plus, ASMUS does unexpected amazing stuff like the Twilight King and MOS - also beautiful figures that I hadn't planned on buying. They pull off some clever costuming too - like with my all time favorite Thorin. Not the easiest to costume or develop, but absolutely perfect scale materials, great sculpt, accessories, beautifully detailed diecast Orcrist, AND a specially developed body. AND diorama backgrounds (like I wasn't gonna get the DX Legolas, but the in-hand pics of Helm's Deep looked awesome!)

Looking at all the goodies that came with Thorin (including the pipe fans wanted), young Bilbo, Gimli, I've thought off and on ASMUS spoiled us, 'coz companies like HT have gotten pretty accessory-stingy. Anyway, I hope ASMUS knows they ARE appreciated and not everyone falling over themselves with a new company coming on board. ASMUS would know as well as anyone, as they have dealt with design and production, what it takes to get a good product out the door - at a price the market will put up with.

Finally, I'm suspicious of InArt potentially using silicon, after reading about folks powdering their Phicen figures as part of upkeep (never mind the splitting). I don't KNOW what InART is doing. But I can take my ASMUS figs outside and work with them, and not worry about it. They are holding up beautifully.

TBH I hope ASMUS blows off the negative comments and carries on with INTERESTING releases - stuff I suspect other companies would never do. I'm to the point am so weary of the Aragorn, Gandalf, Legolas releases. Thanx to ASMUS (since I bought theirs) and the statue releases - 'coz it looks like WETA is gonna release another Aragorn too. Bring on Thranduil, dwarves, Mirkwood elves, a battle Thorin, Dain...anyway I hope to pick up ASMUS' Nazgul. ASMUS can be proud of their work, bumps in the road or not. It's not like HT and other companies haven't had their issues. Like HT's cheap displays, if you get any at all.
Very well said!

What I've noticed many times over the years with this hobby is that when something new is revealed, many people decide to crap all over the previous line(s). There really is no need for that.
Totally agree. Believe this bandwagon is all based on hype. We’ve yet to see if InArt/QS will be able to deliver what they’re promising. They certainly know how to whip up hype with their polls.

Call me crazy, but I have very low expectations on their new rooted joker. Why? Because they’ve never done a figure before. With this release they’re implementing a lot of new technologies in the field of 1:6 collecting. New technologies usually implies higher rates of production errors.

Oh, I hope I’m wrong with my assumptions and this joker truly turns out to be the best of the best. Competition is good in the long run and Asmus has proven themselves with many nice releases.

Whatever happens with InArt, they'll never go as deep with the LOTR line as Asmus has. I, for one, can't wait to see the Uruk-Hai figures and am not holding my breath for InArt to make their own.
That is 100% true. InArt will go for the most popular LOTR and maybe Hobbit figures. InArt figures are going to be premium with a premium price tag and even tho I would get any figure they make, not many would pay 350+USD for figures of Eowyn, Haldir, etc. Asmus is hopefully here to stay and I will support them as much as I can.

^ Agreed, can’t see them going as deep into the line as Asmus have. I’ll be sticking with Asmus too and probably just picking up the odd InArt figure (like Aragorn if they can get his likeness right), rather than going all in.

Realistically if they sell well I see them doing Gandalf, Legolas, Aragorn and the Nazgul. Maybe if they really love the license and they are making them good money I can see a Gandalf the White and the Witch King. To go beyond that would likely mean creating a new body for the hobbits and Gimli and unless there is enough money in it I do not see that happening.

Being someone that loves LOTRs, I hope both Asmus and InArt are successful and that there is room for both of them to coexist in the market place. Overall I love what Asmus has given us so far and hope to see them continue producing LOTR figures for years to come. I am also very curious to see what InArt produces and I hope I can afford to get their figures as well if they come out well done.

I think even Asmus most ardent supporters can agree that they haven’t been perfect. I’m not sure that’s on the team at Asmus as much as it is the factories they’re using for production. @R_R_X has detailed recently how hard it can be to find consistently reliable factory production in this hobby because most of the top ones are scooped up by the top brands.

Still, between the Ash situation and the arrival of InArt, I think Asmus will be as motivated as ever to prove to people that they can be a top brand. They’ve already said they will address the quality control issues moving forward and I’ll take them at their word there because they really can’t win by lying about that.

Between Gollum, Bilbo, Boromir and Haldir, their upcoming figures have the potential to really stand out. Gollum obviously a unique figure, Boromir’s look has always been great and Haldir’s armor should stand out nicely on a shelf.

I’m choosing to believe Asmus is going to put out some home runs this year.

I think even Asmus most ardent supporters can agree that they haven’t been perfect. I’m not sure that’s on the team at Asmus as much as it is the factories they’re using for production. @R_R_X has detailed recently how hard it can be to find consistently reliable factory production in this hobby because most of the top ones are scooped up by the top brands.

Still, between the Ash situation and the arrival of InArt, I think Asmus will be as motivated as ever to prove to people that they can be a top brand. They’ve already said they will address the quality control issues moving forward and I’ll take them at their word there because they really can’t win by lying about that.

Between Gollum, Bilbo, Boromir and Haldir, their upcoming figures have the potential to really stand out. Gollum obviously a unique figure, Boromir’s look has always been great and Haldir’s armor should stand out nicely on a shelf.

I’m choosing to believe Asmus is going to put out some home runs this year.
Oh definitely. Am sure I would have had a total meltdown if Thorin had shown up with dark eyes for instance (when the film Thorin/actor has distinctly ice blue eyes) and one thing I'd scold ASMUS for is ever letting a Frodo get out the door with dark eyes. WTF. Elijah Wood has those luminous expressive grey-blue eyes so how do you *&^% something like that up. It's on every bit of PR material for the last 20 years.

Then the Faramir vambrace thing...or, although ASMUS has always answered me quickly the few times I contacted them, not keeping track and responding to inquiries within a week, or 10 business days at the very maximum.

There's other stuff I know, tho I only skimmed through the Ash stuff out of curiosity. Of course some things I agree with, other stuff I think folks are too excitable (to be polite about it).

I understand manufacturing factories maybe not being up to snuff but someone on the Asmus staff approves the product from prototype to retail. Someone signs and says, yes, this is up to our quality and we can proceed. Someone approved Gandalf’s hat. Henrietta’s lack of hair, head sculpts seeming to change from design to manufacture. The last Aragorn sculpt looked great in digital form. Did their head of QC really think that the sculpt we got really looked like Mortenson as Aragorn?

My wife manages a QC department and I’m a machinist so we both know something about QC. The products we both do, better be meeting the specs required or we wouldn’t have jobs.

Last edited:
On a promising note, the Gollum sculpt looks really good.

I've been using the larger NECA Gollum and Smeagol for years but would love to have a more accurately scaled version of both.

I understand manufacturing factories maybe not being up to snuff but someone on the Asmus staff approves the product from prototype to retail. Someone signs and says, yes, this is up to our quality and we can proceed. Someone approved Gandalf’s hat. Henrietta’s lack of hair, head sculpts seeming to change from design to manufacture. The last Aragorn sculpt looked great in digital form. Did their head of QC really think that the sculpt we got really looked like Mortenson as Aragorn?

My wife manages a QC department and I’m a machinist so we both know something about QC. The products we both do, better be meeting the specs required or we wouldn’t have jobs.
This is all very fair and valid.

If I had to guess they probably didn't have anyone from their team actually overseeing the production, some production runs are left in charge the factories which are always in direct contact with the brand, but with Covid affecting everything for the past years and preventing people from travelling this has sadly become more common than it used to be, and unfortunately those workers begin doing more mistakes with the added pressure of everything that's going on, which results in glaring mistakes, missing parts, you name it, that can be the case even with people from the brand being present in the factories doing QC alongside factory workers but it's impossible for them to check every single product that goes out, especially for figures that have thousands of copies made, but that's just my guess since it's what the team I'm part of has expirienced.

If I had to guess they probably didn't have anyone from their team actually overseeing the production, some production runs are left in charge the factories which are always in direct contact with the brand, but with Covid affecting everything for the past years and preventing people from travelling this has sadly become more common than it used to be, and unfortunately those workers begin doing more mistakes with the added pressure of everything that's going on, which results in glaring mistakes, missing parts, you name it, that can be the case even with people from the brand being present in the factories doing QC alongside factory workers but it's impossible for them to check every single product that goes out, especially for figures that have thousands of copies made, but that's just my guess since it's what the team I'm part of has expirienced.
Thank you for the knowledgeable answer.

Well, I know a bit about getting a print run done - where it's a mistake not to contract for a "master print" where the contract states the printer will match this "match print" and during the run, random samples are pulled. This is because so many color shifts can happen getting stuff printed. If it's a fail the contract will have the whole run reprinted.

So I wonder if not just ASMUS - but other statue and fig companies - get sold a bill of goods when hiring a factory at times. We've all seen quality shifts from proto to production - but not always. I have statues and figs that are stunning. Also remember seeing waaaaay back when Sideshow actually cancelled production of a Predator 1/4, after paying a visit to the factory and seeing the problems.

Dunno about producing goods that are packed and shipped at the factory, but it sounds like ASMUS as well as WETA and some others really need to demand random samples before ANYTHING ships.

Back