Questions for Asmus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally have no interest in Radagast, however, if Asmus makes quality figures of Haldir, Eowyn, Boromir, Gil-Galad, Isildur and Galadhrim Soldiers like so many are asking for, I would be happy to support the company and pick one up to thank them for listening to their customers and giving them what they want.

^ Agreed, I don’t have the space for something that big…hopefully there would be two releases in that instance, one with and one without the throne, or just release it separately as an accessory or something.

Kickstarter/ Crowdfunded releases should absolutely be considered as a way forward for Asmus now that they’ve ran through all the main cast in their primary outfits (although I’m 100% in for armoured hobbits, Gondorian armoured Boromir and Faramir & Black Gate Aragorn.)

Crowd funding could open the door to many less prominent characters who otherwise would be too risky like army building soldiers; Gondorian ceremonial guard, Numenorians, Rohirrim, Easterlings, Haradrim, Galdhrim, even orcsand Uruks and maybe even some very important but difficult to make igures like Sauron who is long overdue!

Wargs and rider sets, a Treebeard bust/torso that you can sit Merry and Pippin on, and just think of all the throne sets!
Denethor with the steward throne, Cursed Theoden on his throne with Grima, Elrond at the council throne the plinth for the Ring, Thranduil and his enormously overcompensating throne!

There are so many more possibilities when you don’t have to gamble on what may or may not be profitable.
Those sets would not be cheap and collectors wouldn’t expect them to be but when the options are ‘pay slightly more or never get one at all’ I think most will dip a little deeper into their pockets.

Man, all this just showed me how much more money I’m willing to throw at LOTR figures and it’s scary!

We actually love to give a go on quite a few Hobbit characters like Fili, Kili, Radagast and Dane and Dwaling

But unfortunately, The Hobbit collectibles do not sales... at all.
I would buy every one of those figures.

We actually love to give a go on quite a few Hobbit characters like Fili, Kili, Radagast and Dane and Dwaling

But unfortunately, The Hobbit collectibles do not sales... at all.
I think much of the blame can be attributed to a bloated trilogy. The Hobbit could and should have been one 2:30 - 3:00 movie (along with Jackson's inevitable 5-hour Director's Cut). But the studio had to get greedy and insist on a trilogy. I know that even a 2:30 runtime is pushing it for a movie, especially one heavily targeted for families but turning a 300-page book into three movies was completely unnecessary and such an obvious cash grab.

I've never rewatched any of the movies and much of it is forgettable. It's a shame because there was some really amazing work in there, but it all just dragged on. For a while I wondered about editing these down to a single, watchable 2:30-3:00 movie, there are huge chunks that could be immediately cut out. But there were so many disparate storylines and thrown in characters it would probably be impossible without reshoots to connect the streamlined narrative.

To be honest, I hated the bird poop Radagast design and characterization. It was a letdown from how I'd imagined Radagast the Brown book (wise, gentle, ancient, in tune with nature, somewhat mysterious—as well as immensely powerful). I'd definitely recast, redesign and reshoot those scenes.

I imagined something more like the below. If they wanted to make him humorous or jolly, they could have gone in the direction of the Top Left. Mysterious, powerful hermit: Top Right. Gentle, wizened and in tune with nature: Bottom left or right (with brownish hair and beard).
Radagast_the_Brown_Concepts.jpg

Last edited:
I always thought The Hobbit should have been two movies, not three. With just one film they probably would have had to cut some stuff out, but three is just dragging the story out way too much.

That said, a trilogy *could* have been good. I think the over reliance on subpar CGI turned a lot of people off. Once they leave the Shire in the first movie, it feels like an entirely different film. But even then, things felt off because of the way it was filmed. I know Ian McKellan actually broke down filming the dinner party because he had to shoot in front of a green screen without other actors for scale purposes.

Add that in with weird storyline decisions like odd romances and turning Legolas into a jerk...even one movie wouldn't have saved the story with the way it was shot.

Definitely should have been 2 movies…admittedly I don’t dislike them as much as I did when I first saw them, but there is way too much filler in there and it doesn’t feel as ‘real world’ to me as LOTR did due to the overuse of CGI. Hated the shoehorned in love story (still do) and although I really liked him in LOTR, Legolas really annoyed me in the Hobbit films…that bit at the end of BOTFA where he goes all Super Mario…😖 I cringe every time I see it!

Thought the casting choices were pretty good though. 👍

I would honestly pay good money for a well edited version of the Hobbit trilogy with the scenes from the extended version that ought to have been kept in - like Thorin's funeral, and all the embarrassing stuff out - like super mario Legolas, everything with Alfrid and the master of laketown, the forced romance sub plot and the forced reference to Aragorn at the end of the BOTFA, and all the other gratuitous silliness.

For those who want to watch The Hobbit without all the bloat and unnecessary filler, check out 'The Hobbit: Maple Films Edit' fan cut. Honestly, it may salvage these movies for you. It's cut as much of the dire stuff out as it could and added the extended scenes where required (Thorin's funeral etc). Even the colour grading is better and looks closer to the LOTR movies which really helps the immersion.

Trailer for it:

For those who want to watch The Hobbit without all the bloat and unnecessary filler, check out 'The Hobbit: Maple Films Edit' fan cut. Honestly, it may salvage these movies for you. It's cut as much of the dire stuff out as it could and added the extended scenes where required (Thorin's funeral etc). Even the colour grading is better and looks closer to the LOTR movies which really helps the immersion.

Trailer for it:

It looks like they really put some time and work into it. I'm not sure if it can be salvaged without some reshoots but might be curious enough to take a look. Also, I made the mistake of seeing The Desolation of Smaug in a 48fps-equipped theater, so wouldn't have to worry about a repeat of that experience. Bird poop head Radagast will still be there, although I'm sure there are fans of McCoy's design and portrayal.

In my head I like to pretend that there's a universe out there where Bill Nighy played a very sad, shy and quietly tragic Radagast, driven into seclusion by disillusionment and grief at the world of Men and Elves. No comic relief, no sight gags, no manic energy. I think that's the kind of tragic dignity a character like that deserves.

After Haldir...THIS guy is what I would want in the ROTK line🥰🥰🥰🥰

I know the way is shut,but we can all dream yeah?
View attachment 557566
I would LOVE it if they took on this guy. One of my favorite character designs of the trilogy. The tiny buzzards on his helm are so cool.

I would LOVE it if they took on this guy. One of my favorite character designs of the trilogy. The tiny buzzards on his helm are so cool.
Agreed with the character design!
Love the way the character was portrayed also.
I still have my ToyBiz version too!!

I'm not sure how they'd make the figure,if it would be similiar in colour to the Twilight Witch King OR they would go the colours of the statue, but all in all a pivotal character to Aragorn and his quest to free the peoples of Middle Earth!!

Back