Questions for Asmus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only reason I'm not jonesing for another figure of her is because she didn't exist in the books, which is fine, but they kind of did her character dirty in the films. Even Evangeline Lilly has gone on record saying they asked to do different things than she signed on for, which was mostly due to the studio and not Jackson, but I guess he wasn't inclined to push back the way he was in LOTR.

Ultimately, I would like them to take another crack at Tauriel because I know they can do better than what we got in that release, but I do hope they knock off a couple of the other characters people are asking for first.
Thanks for the info! I don't usually get into the behind the scenes stuff for movies/shows other than what went on with Justice League as DC is my favorite property.

And I completely understand wanting other characters before her. I just thought she was pretty badass for the most part regardless of her not being in the books. And I'm definitely not saying she should be put in front of other characters. Every now and then I see the weta statue and it just makes me wish the figure looked just as good.

I'm still hoping for a Tauriel 2.0. I think she's also in need of a major upgrade/2.0 given 1) how different the production sculpt came out vs the proto 2) how much better Asmus is at doing rooted hair now 3) Their improved paint apps since that figure was released.
Yeah I wouldn’t mind a 2.0 release at some point with a better sculpt and at the current quality level…wasn’t overly crazy about her role in the films if I’m honest, but I did like her design and think a figure of her would look quite nice on my (very sparse) hobbit shelf.

Real shame Hobbit figures don’t sell well as I’d love figures of Balin and Radagast.

Yeah, I would have been down for Radagast. Would have been neat to display the three wizards together. Can't blame them for not making them if they won't sell. I'm sure Asmus needs to make some characters that will make money after the Evil Dead situation.

Yeah, I would have been down for Radagast. Would have been neat to display the three wizards together. Can't blame them for not making them if they won't sell. I'm sure Asmus needs to make some characters that will make money after the Evil Dead situation.
it is sad, but not exactly true.
without enough orders, it is very difficult to share the tooling costs and to have the clothing factory commit to mass production.

Just out of curiosity, what is the minimum amount needed to go into production? I understand if you can't/don't want to answer, that's totally ok. I know a lot of your edition sizes have been around 1500 or so, so I'm just curious how many need to be purchased to move forward.

Definitely a shame, but I understand the reason. I'm sure LOTR figures will also meeting your sales goals at least.

We actually love to give a go on quite a few Hobbit characters like Fili, Kili, Radagast and Dane and Dwaling

But unfortunately, The Hobbit collectibles do not sales... at all.
Radagast would most likely sell - or so I would imagine, being one of the 5 wizards and having a representation outside of Saruman and Gandalf is rare.
Would you guys ever consider some sort of crowd funding for some figures development?

Just out of curiosity, what is the minimum amount needed to go into production? I understand if you can't/don't want to answer, that's totally ok. I know a lot of your edition sizes have been around 1500 or so, so I'm just curious how many need to be purchased to move forward.

Definitely a shame, but I understand the reason. I'm sure LOTR figures will also meeting your sales goals at least.
It will depends on the difficulty of characters.
For example, a full armored character like Emoer and Gimli, you properly need at least 1500 pc to share the tooling cost.

Some easy ones like the 4 hobbits, 500pc would work.

Radagast in the other hand has a set of very complex costume. There are so many material used in just one robe.
so his outfit is actually a very difficult task that would require I say minimum of 1000 pc?

Have you guys ever considered a crowd-funded figure? Get commitments from buyers up front and start with a relatively "easy" one - like Grima, Denethor, Elrond in robes, or Eowyn (in a dress) - just to see how it goes and then maybe do one a year after that if it's successful? Or would that be a logistical nightmare?

Last edited:
Copy that,
I will pass forward the idea.

We are not a big fan of doing a 2.0, it feels kinda wrong to multiply collecting the same characters over and over again...
so we will have Gandalf Crown head and Legolas head ready in upgrade packs shortly.
And hopefully if there is any new version of other characters without too much difference, we will offer the same as well.
If you are not doing a 2.0, I really hope you do more of a slim version. I am kinda late to collect LOTR line, but I would love to complete the fellowship. Re-release or slim version of Boromir, Gimli, and the hobbits would really be appreciated. I will buy them all!

I can understand the effort that would need to go into Radagast costume but I’m sure he would sell and what a hell of an amazing figure he would make.

Sad to hear the Hobbit line didn’t sell well. I thought those figures were excellent except the headsculpt on Tauriel. Thorin is incredible imo

I agree.
I think Radagast would have great shelf presence, more so than most figures.
He’s a figure I would push for to be made.
Lol. I guess I am in the minority but he is probably one if not the only character they could make that I would not buy. I would buy any of the dwarves or a Tauriel 2.0 in an instant. I actually think Thorin and Bilbo are some of the best figures Asmus has made. I just personally did not like the take they took on Radagast at all. I never saw him as being that silly and ridiculous. He felt more like a mockery of a character (or more how Saruman saw him to be) instead of similar to the small glimpse we got in the books. There are things I liked about the Hobbit movies and things I did not like and unfortunately for me the way they portrayed Radagast is probably at the top of the dislike list.

That being said I would not begrudge Asmus for making him and would be happy for those that want him. He is a unique design and I am sure they could do a good job on the figure.

Last edited:
Lol. I guess I am in the minority but he is probably one if not the only character they could make that I would not buy. I would buy any of the dwarves or a Tauriel 2.0 in an instant. I actually think Thorin and Bilbo are some of the best figures Asmus has made. I just personally did not like the take they took on Radagast at all. I never saw him as being that silly and ridiculous. He felt more like a mockery of a character (or more how Saruman saw him to be) instead of similar to the small glimpse we got in the books. There are things I liked about the Hobbit movies and things I did not like and unfortunately for me the way they portrayed Radagast is probably at the top of the dislike list.
You're definitely not alone there. He's probably one of only a couple figures in all of Middle Earth that I wouldn't buy if they were made: Radagast, Alfrid, and the Master of Laketown. All for the same reasons you noted. They're all just too silly and undignified for my taste. (I might add the Goblin King to that list, as well.) But bring on just about any other characters and I'm right back in the game, scrambling for my credit card! Definitely gimme more Dwarves!

Back