Questions for Asmus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm truly thankful for all of the figures that Asmus has provided us. They have come a long way from their initial releases, as far as quality and fidelity of detailing. I admit that they have had some strange and at times frustrating PR/Marketing moves but I think they were made with good intentions that unfortunately didn't work out that way.

I for one would not be paying $500+ for all future InArt LOTR figures. I've got Aragorn on pre-order and that's it for me. This hobby is getting to the price point that it is no longer being "fun". (Hence, I've been going back and picking up older figures that I initially missed on and at discounted prices, as the sellers move on to newer figures or move on from the hobby, in general...)

I'd like to echo what FlyAndFight said above. The price point is starting to make this hobby not "fun" anymore. I enjoy getting new figures. I can't wait to set them up again once I stop getting outbid on houses (to hell with this real estate market). But now, every time I drop $300 on a figure I'm questioning whether or not I should be doing it. Not because I don't want the figure, but whether that $300 would be better spent on something else. It's a lot of money.

I'm really grateful that the majority of characters I would want in a display have been made, or are in production. I'm missing a few odds and ends. Sully and Chloe from Uncharted, Eowyn and (unfortunately, since I sold the V1 to buy the V2, which I didn't end up buying) Boromir, Han Solo and Cassian from Star Wars. And yes...Haldir. But, point being, I feel the same way FlyAndFight does. If Asmus is truly pulling out, it makes it a little easier for me to pull back myself.

Same here. 1/6 figures are starting to go the way of statues for me. Polystone seems to be three or four times more expensive than it was just a few years ago. But Sideshow getting out of the LOTR Premium Format game actually helped me break that habit. (Though not before throwing down big money - or at least what we thought was big money at the time - on Sauron and the Nazgul on Steed PFs). But LOTR is really my main collecting focus, so if Asmus got out, my collecting would slow down considerably. And maybe that would be ... I don't know ... good for me?

Last edited:
I'd be sad if they did throw it all in. I'm missing a Merry and Pippin to complete the Fellowship (even though my Legolas is technically TTT). But otherwise, I'm pretty happy with the LOTR collection I've been able to assemble. An Eowyn and a Saruman would be nice though....
Like FlyAndFlight, I have Inart's Aragorn on PO, but I don't intend on picking up a lot from them. Maybe Paul Atriedes.
In the meantime, the Mars Toys 66 Batman figs being released/revealed/teased means my wallet doesn't get a chance to breathe.

Same here. And living in Europe, I even have to add at least 20% initially to the USD retail prices.
There are more figures I want than I can effort. So I must be selective.
I have GtG, GtW, Gimli and Frodo from Asmus and Inart Aragorn on PO. I will get Legolas from Inart too, and that will be it for my LotR collection. Inarts Gandalf is a realistic Gandalf, but I just don't see Ian McKellen in it (also referred to the posts from @Shoo ).

I'd be sad if they did throw it all in. I'm missing a Merry and Pippin to complete the Fellowship (even though my Legolas is technically TTT). But otherwise, I'm pretty happy with the LOTR collection I've been able to assemble. An Eowyn and a Saruman would be nice though....
Like FlyAndFlight, I have Inart's Aragorn on PO, but I don't intend on picking up a lot from them. Maybe Paul Atriedes.
In the meantime, the Mars Toys 66 Batman figs being released/revealed/teased means my wallet doesn't get a chance to breathe.
Me too…I’m missing Merry & Pippin too for a complete Fellowship who I would really like to get to complete that set, as well as Eowyn and Haldir whom I would also love to get good figures of.

Would be a shame if the line does end as LOTR is my main collection. :( I won’t be overdoing it on the InArt figures either, whilst they are fantastic, they are just too expensive for me to go all in on.

Its from a Lotr facebook group:

"Our friends at Asmus Toys have kindly answered some questions from our collectors in this group.

Please see their responses below with some exciting and exclusive sneak peeks!

1. Will there be any more figures from the Hobbit Trilogy such as Radagast or other dwarves from Thorin’s company?
Ans: Yes, we’re going to release Thranduil first this year. It is planned and expected to be produced.
2. Gimli was a very popular figure which is hard to find on the secondary market now. Will there be another Gimli released, possibly a Helm’s Deep Gimli?
Ans: We are sorry to inform you that there are currently no plans to reproduce Gimli. At this stage, all we can do is hope for a chance in the future."
3. Will there be more LOTR or Hobbit figures released this year? If so, any clue as to which characters we can expect?
Ans: This question is similar to the first one. We can secretly reveal to you that this year we will release a figure called Thranduil.
4. Asmus recently did the 8 inch articulated Balrog. Are there any plans to make a 1/12 scale (18 inch) articulated Balrog that may fall into scale with other articulated LOTR toy lines?
Ans: I'm sorry, but currently there are no plans to release a 1/12 scale (18 inch) articulated Balrog. I believe the 8 inch articulated Balrog is already suitable to match with other articulated Lord of the Rings toy series.
5. The Gandalf the White head sculpt was outstanding. Are you planning on continuing this standard of head sculpt for further LOTR figures or are there constraints on doing so?
Ans: Yes, definitely. Currently, there’s no constraints so far.
6. What are the plans for the LOTR Q-Bitz line? Will the already announced series 1 & 2 still be produced and will there be further releases in this line?
Ans: This year, we will produce the LOTR Q-Bitz line, and series 1 & 2 will still be produced. However, we are not sure if we will add any other products to this line, let's just cross our fingers for that."

Yeah, it does sound like they're going to be moving on from LOTR. Answering that question with Thranduil, who wasn't even in Lord of the Rings, doesn't seem promising.

I can't imagine InArt ever going so deep that they'll get to Eowyn, Denethor, Gamling, whoever else we wanted to see. Yes...Haldir. I can imagine they might eventually do Boromir or even Arwen if they want to do a female, but that's going to be years away at best.

Hope someone else picks up the license and can at least top the quality Asmus put out so I'm compelled enough to upgrade. I love Middle Earth and as much as I'm trying to pull back on collecting...I don't want to stop collecting this line.

"Our friends at Asmus Toys have kindly answered some questions from our collectors in this group.

1. Will there be any more figures from the Hobbit Trilogy such as Radagast or other dwarves from Thorin’s company?
Ans: Yes, we’re going to release Thranduil first this year. It is planned and expected to be produced.
2. Gimli was a very popular figure which is hard to find on the secondary market now. Will there be another Gimli released, possibly a Helm’s Deep Gimli?
Ans: We are sorry to inform you that there are currently no plans to reproduce Gimli. At this stage, all we can do is hope for a chance in the future."
3. Will there be more LOTR or Hobbit figures released this year? If so, any clue as to which characters we can expect?
Ans: This question is similar to the first one. We can secretly reveal to you that this year we will release a figure called Thranduil.
4. Asmus recently did the 8 inch articulated Balrog. Are there any plans to make a 1/12 scale (18 inch) articulated Balrog that may fall into scale with other articulated LOTR toy lines?
Ans: I'm sorry, but currently there are no plans to release a 1/12 scale (18 inch) articulated Balrog. I believe the 8 inch articulated Balrog is already suitable to match with other articulated Lord of the Rings toy series.
5. The Gandalf the White head sculpt was outstanding. Are you planning on continuing this standard of head sculpt for further LOTR figures or are there constraints on doing so?
6. What are the plans for the LOTR Q-Bitz line? Will the already announced series 1 & 2 still be produced and will there be further releases in this line?
Ans: This year, we will produce the LOTR Q-Bitz line, and series 1 & 2 will still be produced. However, we are not sure if we will add any other products to this line, let's just cross our fingers for that."
What’s the group called if you don’t mind sharing?

I just want them to at least reuse the Gandalf the White sculpt to
give us the Gandalf the Grey heads we've all been waiting on...
I need heads.

Good to know about Thranduil. The original and Thorin are among my favorites. Like those earlier comments I've gotta be pretty selective because of $$$$. And TBH was tired of the strain of HT POs. It's a relief when a pricey PO gets paid off (I know, first world problems).

Am getting the INart Aragorn to have a Ranger Aragorn, but that will probably be it for LOTR, unless InArt does a Mirkwood Legolas. I'd be happy if ASMUS did a Hobbit Legolas with the armor. But I'd rather have Dwalin.

I need heads.
1683938510551.gif

I just want them to at least reuse the Gandalf the White sculpt to
give us the Gandalf the Grey heads we've all been waiting on...
Actually, I don't particularly appreciate using the same sculpt for different figures. It's like Hot Toys re-using their Marvel sculpts. The main problem with the GtG sculpt is the eyes and their color. Also, now having not-perfect but more realistic InArt sculpt makes it look less lifelike in comparison. It's like comparing HT DX11 Joker and In Art Joker.
I don't know. They still did not deliver me a properly painted Frodo head, and will see if they have GtG hat for me. I'm kind of several years over expecting this head, not sure I will like it when it will be available.

2) we will stick to their traveling look, which we all felt it has the best Hobbit feel overall. As for the cape, which one do you like better? The ones leaving shire has better personal looks for them, but the elvish cape would fit the Fellowship better.

3) Ankle jointed boots is the only other change I think.

4) We have yet comfirm the design for Crown Saruman. Personally I thinkm Palantir is the best acceesory for Saruman, but it would also concern the repeatition with our last release, so I guess we will see.

thank you for the questions.
It would be a design & engineering feat, but what about Saruman's throne? (disassembled in many parts, that is, so that size is kept at a minimum).
For the hobbits, Fellowship look would be the logical thing, but then, throwing in a 2nd cape shouldn't be much of a problem, right?
Thx

Last edited:

It seems like they are really keeping production quiet. They do mention that they plan to keep the quality like with GTW. Maybe they will only do crown series from now on?

Back