Question about CGC grading.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasFi3nd

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
For the first time ever, I submitted a set of comic books to CGC for grading which was about a 5 month turnaround time. The comic books were Batman Three Jokers 1/100 sketch cover variants. They were brand new and unopened when I sent them so I was looking forward to all three being graded at least a 9.8. The first two were 9.8 and the third was 9.6 which isn't bad at all but it would've been nice to see 9.8's across the board. The front and back covers are nearly identical on all three comic books with no visible blemishes. There weren't any grader notes either unfortunately. Now to my question, does CGC allow resubmissions for a different grader opinion? If so, has anyone done this and what are the chances of the grade being changed? Would it even be worth the time and money to even try and get 9.8 grade from a 9.6? Again, it's my first time dealing with graded comics so I thought id reach out to you fellow collectors for your thoughts and opinions. Thanks.

Here's a quick pic of the comics I had graded.
20211001_072433.jpg

It depends on what the grader notes say. You can take your chances by opening the slab and having a shop press it before sending it in as a new book and seeing what happens.

I have heard some people have opened the case and resubmitted the book for another grade but I haven't read of anyone really getting anything higher than the original grade. Books that have black borders are so hard to get grades of 9.8 and it really sucks that there aren't any notes on why the 9.6 versus 9.8 of the others. I would probably stay with what you got.

Yeah, I think I'll stick with what I have now. With my luck, I'd get an even lower grade if I opened the slab and sent the comic book in again. Plus I don't want to wait another 5-6 months for the turnaround time. Thanks for the replies fellas. Much appreciated🍻.

I'd probably sell the 9.6 and then just use the funds to help buy an already slabbed 9.8 off ebay in order to complete the set.
To be honest I'd do that as well, my ocd would be too great lol

9.6 is a good grade though, if you can live with it then that's the better option

I'd probably sell the 9.6 and then just use the funds to help buy an already slabbed 9.8 off ebay in order to complete the set.
Not a bad idea🤔

To be honest I'd do that as well, my ocd would be too great lol

9.6 is a good grade though, if you can live with it then that's the better option
Damn! I was okay with the 9.6 until you mentioned OCD. I'm very OCD about this but I didn't want to be "that guy" who is complaining about an already really great grade... I already framed the slabs but I may have to try take Khev's advice and find a 9.8 slab elsewhere.

20211015_154217.jpg

Not a bad idea🤔

Damn! I was okay with the 9.6 until you mentioned OCD. I'm very OCD about this but I didn't want to be "that guy" who is complaining about an already really great grade... I already framed the slabs but I may have to try take Khev's advice and find a 9.8 slab elsewhere.

View attachment 541769
It looks great like that, OCD can go suck one haha

Back