Quentin Tarantino's First Blood (Remake)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So according to Quentin Tarantino, he would consider making a First Blood remake. Would you like to see it?

https://movieweb.com/rambo-first-blood-remake-quentin-tarantino-adam-driver/
"If I just wanted to make a good movie, that I knew would be good, I would take David Morrell's novel for First Blood and do the novel. Not the movie that was made out of First Blood. I would do the novel. And Kurt Russell would play the sheriff, and [Adam Driver] would play Rambo. Every time I read it, the dialogue is so fantastic in the David Morrell novel that you're reading it out loud. It would be so good. But now I want to do more than that. But if it was just about to make a good movie, that's out there."

David Morrell's First Blood was originally published in 1972. While the 1982 movie of the same name is held in high regard, it is a big departure from what was on the page. Quentin Tarantino is proposing going back to where it all started and faithfully bringing Morrell's work to life.

Love the Movie
Love the Novel

Don’t know if QT could do the novel… it’s a straight up hard core drama / action story.. No quirky speeches about foot messages, like a virgin, or civil war son’s sucking black bounty Hunter $&@! :lol

Novel kind of was made into a film with Tommy Lee Jones And Benici del Toro called The Hunted. Pretty cool flick actually.

Reading this again I see that he is saying he would just make a “good” movie not really a QT movie. I’d be game but like I said The Hunted was already kind of the Novel brought to screen.

While I liked The Hunted, I felt like Del Toro gave the worst perfornance of his career. He played paranoid too quirky for me. Was just strange in his performance.

I love the Hunted, but it's an awful film 😆

While I liked The Hunted, I felt like Del Toro gave the worst perfornance of his career. He played paranoid too quirky for me. Was just strange in his performance.
To be fair I have not watched the film since it’s dvd release. I remember liking it since it reminded me of the novel. To be honest I have no memory of the film other than what I just mentioned:lol

gonna have to give it another spin

His acting was off. Then you have TLJ playing another character that chases people and he's following little footprints all over the city looking like a crazy homeless man. 😆

QT would make it a boring, discombobulated mess — like most of his overrated movies. He’s the Woody Allen of his generation. He made a couple of really good movies, and everything else has been mediocre to ****.

I agree that Tarantino is overrated, but he makes very entertaining movies, IMHO.
I struggle to see him writing a character as silent and morose as First Blood's Rambo though... but I haven't read the book, so maybe the character id different in the novel?

Will there be people using racial slurs against black people like usual in his movies? Time will tell.

I assume the inference is that Tarantino fulfills some innate racism of his own with his characters' dialogue. Sorry but, meh.

Wow. Still on the first page of this thread and QT has already been labeled as overrated and a racist. A guy who has been at least as influential in his 3 decades of filmmaking as anyone during the same time period, has yet to make a below average film, and has cast Pam Grier and Jamie Foxx in title roles while also giving other minority actors like SLJ and Lucy Liu major roles as well.

Anyone wanna try going for the crown of hot takes before this gets to a second page? :lol

I agree that Tarantino is overrated, but he makes very entertaining movies, IMHO.
I struggle to see him writing a character as silent and morose as First Blood's Rambo though... but I haven't read the book, so maybe the character id different in the novel?

Rambo is a very different character in the book. The book would certainly suit QT’s style.

Wow. Still on the first page of this thread and QT has already been labeled as overrated and a racist. A guy who has been at least as influential in his 3 decades of filmmaking as anyone during the same time period, has yet to make a below average film, and has cast Pam Grier and Jamie Foxx in title roles while also giving other minority actors like SLJ and Lucy Liu major roles as well.

Anyone wanna try going for the crown of hot takes before this gets to a second page? :lol
I'm still reeling from the savaging Kevin Smith was given for what may be the entirety of the Clerks 3 thread

What? Not a comparable class of director? Sigh. K, fine. :lol

Well, I might be getting old in my tastes, but I do believe the man is overrated... not as overrated as, say, Oliver Stone (Tarantino is infinitely better IMHO), but still...
He makes great movies, usually very entertaining, but other than Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, I can't really think of any of his movies that might be called a "masterpiece". IMHO, of course... I know critics froth at the mouth at the opportunity of hailing Tarantino's latest film a masterpiece.
Just to be clear, I don't dislike any of his movies and I do think he's a great director, but is he at a Scorsese level? Coppola-at-the-top-of-his-game level? Schindler's List/SPR Spielberg level? Frankly, I don't think so...
As for racist, no, never crossed my mind, but he does seem to have some odd misogynistic tendencies sometimes.

Yep. Pointing out racism = pulling the race card.
Good luck with that.

durr.gif

Well, I might be getting old in my tastes, but I do believe the man is overrated... not as overrated as, say, Oliver Stone (Tarantino is infinitely better IMHO), but still...
He makes great movies, usually very entertaining, but other than Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, I can't really think of any of his movies that might be called a "masterpiece". IMHO, of course... I know critics froth at the mouth at the opportunity of hailing Tarantino's latest film a masterpiece.
Just to be clear, I don't dislike any of his movies and I do think he's a great director, but is he at a Scorsese level? Coppola-at-the-top-of-his-game level? Schindler's List/SPR Spielberg level? Frankly, I don't think so...
As for racist, no, never crossed my mind, but he does seem to have some odd misogynistic tendencies sometimes.
I don't want to mischaracterize your argument, but I don't think falling short of the Scorsese standard would equal a filmmaker being overrated just because he's referred to as one of the best of his era. That's the context that I usually see associated with Tarantino (as good as it gets from 1992 to now).

Coppola is a similar case. But while of course you're correct that the highest of his highs are tough to match, what about the lowest of his lows? Has QT directed any film on his own that is as laughably bad as Coppola's Jack, or as much of a self-indulgent flop as Youth Without Youth?

When it comes to Spielberg, that's more apples to oranges. Spielberg chooses subject matter and approach which have broader innate appeal. By their very nature, QT movies will comparatively always be more polarizing. Plus, Spielberg wears the albatross of Indy 4 (and I consider his version of War of the Worlds equally awful). IMO, Tarantino hasn't written and directed a movie of his own that is anywhere near as bad.

I think, to some degree, QT is a victim of his early success with Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction being his first two right out of the gate. Those movies made such an impact on cinema, and have been copied so relentlessly, that anything he'd do after that would almost certainly fail to impress as much. But I think if Django Unchained and the Kill Bill duo were credited to no-name directors, the praise for those would've been even more pronounced to celebrate such bold and stylish "newcomers."

As for his masterpiece, I would say that given the influence I mentioned that Pulp Fiction inspired, it should qualify as more than worthy of the label. It's as seminal as any film from the entirety of his era.

Back