QMX Star Trek Phaser - Abrams movie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
qphaser9.jpg

Like many people I was skeptical about the JJ Abrams reboot of Star Trek, but after seeing it I realized my doubts were unwarranted and I was thoroughly pleased with what Abrams had done with the franchise. At the time of release we were inundated with toys for the license from Playmates. Many collectors picked these up, but were ultimately disappointed in the quality. Considering what we've seen from collectible companies, the toys just don't cut it for adult collectors.

QMx picked up the prop replica license and as we all desperately wait for the large Enterprise studio scale model to come out, we now have the first prop replica. The metal-plated Phaser from the new film. It's being sold for the unheard of price of $49.99 - far below what one would expect to pay for a screen accurate prop replica. They've come a long way since they released a similar piece of Mal's gun from "Serenity."

BUY NOW from Sideshow!-<SCRIPT type="text/javascript" src="https://affiliates.sideshowtoy.com/JsTracker.aspx?aid=11&skus=901357&size=text"></SCRIPT>

qphaser1.jpg

This replica has no moving parts and is designed for cosplay, but also makes a great display piece. QMx is supposedly coming out with a "hero" version with lights and moving parts in the future. According to the box, this one was created from the same digital model used to make the screen-used prop and it has been metal plated to match the prop precisely.

qphaser4.jpg

qphaser6.jpg

qphaser2.jpg

The phaser is solid resin and has a nice heft to it - it doesn't have the toy-like plastic feel of the playmates or Art Asylum toys. It has at least 3 different metal/silver/grey tones and is vac-metalized over most of the piece, including a red-metalized emitter.

qphaser8.jpg

qphaser7.jpg

qphaser4.jpg

It comes with a plastic stand that is light-weight but effective. I wish the old Master Replicas stands had smaller footprints like this one.

qphaser6.jpg

qphaser3.jpg

I found some images on theRPF of the actual prop and it looks like QMx may have smoothed out some things to make it look more sleek and less hand-crafted as the original prop.

Personally I prefer this type of "idealized" prop over something that was obviously made in a craft shop. The proportions, shapes and color tones seem to be dead on though.

phaserprop.jpg

Screen caps
st_cap.png

st_cap2.png

There really is no comparison to the Playmates toy - although it doesn't have the lights and sounds of the toy, the size, weight, design and everything about it is lightyears superior to the toy.

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

It definitely ranks up there with the Master Replica props in size and weight and accuracy, despite not having sound and lights.

With MR Assault Phaser
DSC_0076.jpg

With Art Asylum TV show Phaser
DSC_0078.jpg

This is an excellent prop replica and you can't beat the price of $49.99. If you're a cosplayer or want a beautiful display piece for far below a normal prop replica cost - this phaser can't be beat.

Back of box
qphaser10.jpg

Thanks for pointing this out, I had no idea they were only $50. You really can't go wrong for that price from a company like QMX.

Back