Prime1 Giger Alien (Big Chap)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wrong about the cut showing the statue, you could see the art box. Both art boxes were untouched.

Attachments

• 7BD2A7CC-4DE3-476F-9BC6-D5B7144E72D8.jpeg
    7BD2A7CC-4DE3-476F-9BC6-D5B7144E72D8.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 17
For those having issues with the bust and the way it balances, if you take off the felt circles on the bottom it is much more stable. You can place those felt circles along the right side, middle to back and it is even more stable.
Just so I'm prepared when the time comes, do you mean the bust's right side or my right (its left)?

Also, what is everyone displaying their statues on? I'll be hitting the furniture stores this weekend for some beefier shelves. At the moment I'm using cube shelves from Target (2x3, 2x2, etc) and according to the documentation they can support 55 lbs on top. I've only got the guts to place one 30-lb statue and some Hot Toys on there, but it would be great to be able to display a couple of these statues on a single shelf.

Mine arrived no damage. Part of it looked like it had been opened and resealed. Some of the foam corners were even taped to the art box and inside the plastic bag. The shipper box had a big cut going across one corner enough to see the statue inside. There was also a hole or two punched in it. There was some rubber grommet inside from whatever caused the hole. Like others have said it’s different in person. I still may tone those stripes down. I also have trouble inserting the red tube into the open mouth version. I suspect the red paint caused the hole to be smaller. It is also a huge statue. The base is ridiculously heavy and the bust is ridiculously light.
R.gif
yours look solid

From what little I've seen, this thing is genuinely in a different league to any other statue I have, it's a beast, a big, beautiful, creepy beast! It's my first 1/3 statue and I was not prepared for just how large and heavy it all is.
Congrats Python! The big chap is huge, almost half scale if compared to humanoid statues. When statues get close to 1/2 scale the presence is completely different. The 1/3 pred is going to be even bigger and I hope it captures just as much detail as this big chap.

Just so I'm prepared when the time comes, do you mean the bust's right side or my right (its left)?

Also, what is everyone displaying their statues on? I'll be hitting the furniture stores this weekend for some beefier shelves. At the moment I'm using cube shelves from Target (2x3, 2x2, etc) and according to the documentation they can support 55 lbs on top. I've only got the guts to place one 30-lb statue and some Hot Toys on there, but it would be great to be able to display a couple of these statues on a single shelf.
Your right, the busts left.

Just got him in and everything came mint to my surprise.I was definitely expecting some kind of breakage and it was dreadful opening this guy up.Once I put him together thats when I was able to soak it in.The packaging on the big chap body box was a huge fail though how they can they let that go.The bust is beautiful but trust me a fly will knock it over that's insane. Number 181
20220422_151716.jpg

Got mine, in the process of inspecting and assembling. I've opened the Big Chap box and the only breakage I've spotted is an ankle spur. Everything else looks good so far.

Bust review for now:
It's light as a feather, much more so than that of the Dog Alien. Wouldn't be a problem on its own, but the head is so heavy in comparison. Also noticed that the little clavicle patch is fixed on the bust, so you risk scraping the base of the neck when inserting the head in. Lastly, there doesn't seem to be a magnet holding the head in; is anyone else's like this?

All in all, it's a beautiful accessory, but one that feels like an afterthought from design to execution.

Welp, no problems with mine other than that ankle spur. Toe was even sticking out of the foam, thankfully no damage.

I assembled mine on the floor because there's no table or shelf that I trust to handle the weight. Definitely need to shop for a proper display solution this weekend, if not for this, then for the other large pieces I've got.

It's a difficult statue to take in unless it's properly situated against a wall, so at the moment I'm just overwhelmed. This thing is an absolute monster and can make a room as small as mine (10' x 11') feel cluttered, especially with other 18"+ pieces out. We plan to move to a larger place in the near future and it can't happen soon enough. Statues like this should have breathing room, positioned against a wall with plenty of negative space. I don't have that at the moment and I'm afraid it's impacting my ability to judge whether this Alien is truly a good fit for my collection.

I will say I'm extremely impressed with the main statue. It's unlike anything I've ever owned. Well-painted for a mass-market product and glossed to perfection. While I still doubt Prime 1's ability to paint Predators, other creatures look to be no problem at all.

On a final, controversial note: man, I wish this was the Warrior. That design just excites me a lot more. Maybe it's my childhood association with the comics and Kenner toys, but I feel like it's got more fun colors and shapes for a large statue. The Big Chap design feels monolithic and creepy in this format, which is undoubtedly the point, but I find myself favoring dynamism with these bigger items.

EDIT: I've figured out my problem -- the wall has to go. It's inelegant, stiff, and hurts the silhouette of an otherwise graceful piece.

Problem is the base is uninspired without it, same style of base we saw with the Sideshow maquette from years back: a grated rectangular brick that's much too large for a slim character standing almost straight up. I would've preferred a simple black circular base like the Mamegyorai to this. Boring? Maybe. But it would've been easier to display and its simplicity would make it a nonfactor when taking in the piece.

As it stands, I feel like I only like the creature itself. Everything else, I really wish wasn't there. How hard would it be to machine or customize a nice, solid, circular base for something like this?

Last edited:
Welp, no problems with mine other than that ankle spur. Toe was even sticking out of the foam, thankfully no damage.

I assembled mine on the floor because there's no table or shelf that I trust to handle the weight. Definitely need to shop for a proper display solution this weekend, if not for this, then for the other large pieces I've got.

It's a difficult statue to take in unless it's properly situated against a wall, so at the moment I'm just overwhelmed. This thing is an absolute monster and can make a room as small as mine (10' x 11') feel cluttered, especially with other 18"+ pieces out. We plan to move to a larger place in the near future and it can't happen soon enough. Statues like this should have breathing room, positioned against a wall with plenty of negative space. I don't have that at the moment and I'm afraid it's impacting my ability to judge whether this Alien is truly a good fit for my collection.

I will say I'm extremely impressed with the main statue. It's unlike anything I've ever owned. Well-painted for a mass-market product and glossed to perfection. While I still doubt Prime 1's ability to paint Predators, other creatures look to be no problem at all.

On a final, controversial note: man, I wish this was the Warrior. That design just excites me a lot more. Maybe it's my childhood association with the comics and Kenner toys, but I feel like it's got more fun colors and shapes for a large statue. The Big Chap design feels monolithic and creepy in this format, which is undoubtedly the point, but I find myself favoring dynamism with these bigger items.

EDIT: I've figured out my problem -- the wall has to go. It's inelegant, stiff, and hurts the silhouette of an otherwise graceful piece.

Problem is the base is uninspired without it, same style of base we saw with the Sideshow maquette from years back: a grated rectangular brick that's much too large for a slim character standing almost straight up. I would've preferred a simple black circular base like the Mamegyorai to this. Boring? Maybe. But it would've been easier to display and its simplicity would make it a nonfactor when taking in the piece.

As it stands, I feel like I only like the creature itself. Everything else, I really wish wasn't there. How hard would it be to machine or customize a nice, solid, circular base for something like this?
Really happy you get a mint one! About the base and the wall I really like them a lot. I think they make the statue stand up and also give dinanism. This figure should be displayed against a wall. I have it indide my vitrine, just into the corner. Also my vitrine is 130 cm above the floor, against the main wall, and the big chap is more or less in the middle of the room. you can enjoy it from every angle. Really very impresive.

Finally got this on top of a shelf sans the back wall and, as I feared, I really would prefer this with a simpler base.

Anyone know an artist who could manufacture a custom circular base for something like this, matching the key hole for the foot?

If not, I don't know if I can really justify keeping this. Its enormous size amplifies both its strengths and weaknesses, making my otherwise minor design gripes overwhelming.

Back