Prime 1 - Predator - 1/3 Scale Museum Masterline MMPR-01DXS - Jungle Hunter Predator

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's almost certainly due to the packaging. Heat up the dreads, then slip a piece of foam up between them to push the top layer out while they set.
I do wonder once they set, will they fall back into their original position. I could move mine even without heating them, but they come back down to their original setting.

I do wonder once they set, will they fall back into their original position. I could move mine even without heating them, but they come back down to their original setting.
Soft vinyl behaves the same. It's the heating and rapid cooling (cold water, compressed air) that helps lock in the change. Or at least increases the chances of success. I would heat the dreads, secure them in the position I want with foam strips, then cool them and leave the foam in for a few days so they stay put even as their temperature returns to neutral.

Soft vinyl behaves the same. It's the heating and rapid cooling (cold water, compressed air) that helps lock in the change. Or at least increases the chances of success. I would heat the dreads, secure them in the position I want with foam strips, then cool them and leave the foam in for a few days so they stay put even as their temperature returns to neutral.

Yeah - what this man says !!!!! :lecture

Be careful which foam you use though - don't use something that may react/melt with the heated parts of your statue - balsa wood (or even regular wood - E.G. popsicle sticks) - ditto kitchen towel, rubber bands, tape etc. . . . whatever works best. Try not to create too much pressure than may result in crimping/compressing/deforming the dreds.

This probably all sounds pretty obvious - but believe me . . . I've heard some horror stories over the years!

Yeah - what this man says !!!!! :lecture

Be careful which foam you use though - don't use something that may react/melt with the heated parts of your statue - balsa wood (or even regular wood - E.G. popsicle sticks) - ditto kitchen towel, rubber bands, tape etc. . . . whatever works best. Try not to create too much pressure than may result in crimping/compressing/deforming the dreds.

This probably all sounds pretty obvious - but believe me . . . I've heard some horror stories over the years!

This. I definitely wouldn't have the supportive material in there while heating. Tuck that in afterwards. Need to find something that, like Spike said, won't react to the heated dreads but also won't be so rigid that it dents the softened dreads. Towels are actually a great suggestion, I'll probably do that instead of foam just to be safe.

That makes perfect sense, the science backs it up. I won't be changing mine as it doesn't bother me. Spikes also right about temperature, too much can permanently deform the dread itself.

If the dreads can be fixed I might get the bust.
Why not the FS statue? Arguably the 'weakest' points are the dreads and darker hued teeth. Though it definitely is a space hog but worth every single inch of space if you can find a place to put it.

Don't advertise stuff you don't plan on selling. I can understand paint but don't alter the sculpt. This isn't the first time they've pulled that crap.

That makes zero sense. At this point I think you’re just trying to find things to dislike. You’ve already said you don’t like prime 1, so your opinion is undoubtedly biased. I’d be way more upset if the paint wasn’t up to par, but the dreads not hanging exactly like the prototype? Seriously? At least that’s fixable.

It's the same concept as futzing the clothes or hair on a 1/6 figure. Soft materials will always be impacted by being in the packaging.

I could understand clutch's concerns if the dreads were made of polystone. Prime 1 has made actual sculpt changes recently, like raising and straightening the tip of the Warrior Alien's tail. That one irks me. Thankfully I'm only interested in the bust that comes with it.

Why not the FS statue? Arguably the 'weakest' points are the dreads and darker hued teeth. Though it definitely is a space hog but worth every single inch of space if you can find a place to put it.
A bust is easier to fix than a whole statue. But who am I kidding? If I get the bust, it'll probably sit on the shelf and instead of repainting it, I'll move on to the next 'project'. Lol! I'm on the waitlist. It's not the closed mouth version (which I prefer) but better than nothing. If I don't get one, then I'm not gonna cry.

That makes zero sense. At this point I think you’re just trying to find things to dislike. You’ve already said you don’t like prime 1, so your opinion is undoubtedly biased. I’d be way more upset if the paint wasn’t up to par, but the dreads not hanging exactly like the prototype? Seriously? At least that’s fixable.
And you have proof of this? Paint is an easy fix. Resculpting something isn't.

It's the same concept as futzing the clothes or hair on a 1/6 figure. Soft materials will always be impacted by being in the packaging.

I could understand clutch's concerns if the dreads were made of polystone. Prime 1 has made actual sculpt changes recently, like raising and straightening the tip of the Warrior Alien's tail. That one irks me. Thankfully I'm only interested in the bust that comes with it.
Are you selling the full size one then?

So you're only keeping the bust and one head and selling the rest? That's interesting.
I'd hoped the Warrior would somehow work with the Jungle Hunter, but even though it doesn't, the bust is still a great piece. I already bought the Dog bust from a fellow boardie a few years back, so the two should display nicely together.

The ultimate dream is a giant Warrior statue that I can use to bookend my collection along with the Predator. Slightly thicker, less idealized proportions (more like the film suits), with at least some of the prop's gritty imperfections and asymmetries. I've been digitally sculpting one with the intention of 3D printing it, but it's less trouble for me if a manufacturer makes one of their own.

Last edited:
A bust is easier to fix than a whole statue. But who am I kidding? If I get the bust, it'll probably sit on the shelf and instead of repainting it, I'll move on to the next 'project'. Lol! I'm on the waitlist. It's not the closed mouth version (which I prefer) but better than nothing. If I don't get one, then I'm not gonna cry.
I get the bust some would want to fix the dreads, maybe the teeth. What would or could you fix on the FS? I'm curious to know as the sculpt and detail is virtually flawless.

Which head are you keeping… Open or closed ??

Back