Prime 1 / Blitzway: The Batman - Batman (Robert Pattinson) 1:3

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not with that price...no you don't... Hot Toys and Enterbay leather is doing this too... *facepalm
I really wish this isn't true, but if they are using the same cape material for this statue I'm afraid that its going to happen eventually.

Here's another pics from arkham and noel:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220321-153042.jpg
    Screenshot_20220321-153042.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 73
  • FB_IMG_1647851721141.jpg
    FB_IMG_1647851721141.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 80
some collectors forget that they need to maintain their collectibles though. Regular dusting/cleaning and applying leather protectant when applicable at least once a year will extend the life of your collection. You can’t expect to spend this much on something and not keep it clean. It may still deteriorate over time, but you’ll more than likely have much more time before that happens if you take a few minutes every now and then to clean them. I put leather protectant on all my items that have leather (real or fake) and have yet to have a cracking/flaking issues since

some collectors forget that they need to maintain their collectibles though. Regular dusting/cleaning and applying leather protectant when applicable at least once a year will extend the life of your collection. You can’t expect to spend this much on something and not keep it clean. It may still deteriorate over time, but you’ll more than likely have much more time before that happens if you take a few minutes every now and then to clean them. I put leather protectant on all my items that have leather (real or fake) and have yet to have a cracking/flaking issues since
Hi. I work in shoes manufacturing business and I use to work with leather and fake leather (PU) . These capes, boots made in leathe material are actually PU materials. And trust me when I say applying leather protectant is useless. Sometimes even worse. Fake leathers have a 2-3 years proper performance life time. After that most of them flake. Main issue is adhesion to base material (textile in 90% of cases). At this price point all these brands should use real leather. That’s it. So why don’t they do it? Most probably because of safety regulations.
If you use real leather you have to respect the specific REACH standard regulation in terms of chemical substances. Specially Chromium VI. If you use leather and you don’t respect Chr VI regulations you are in trouble. Specially if these items are under TOY regulations. and getting required levels in such a small production is not easy and not cheap. I think that is the main point.
However considering the price point I think they should be able to use real leather. Shoes and garments companies have these chemical issues under control. You just have to access reliable tanneries and of course pay for it

Hi. I work in shoes manufacturing business and I use to work with leather and fake leather (PU) . These capes, boots made in leathe material are actually PU materials. And trust me when I say applying leather protectant is useless. Sometimes even worse. Fake leathers have a 2-3 years proper performance life time. After that most of them flake. Main issue is adhesion to base material (textile in 90% of cases). At this price point all these brands should use real leather. That’s it. So why don’t they do it? Most probably because of safety regulations.
If you use real leather you have to respect the specific REACH standard regulation in terms of chemical substances. Specially Chromium VI. If you use leather and you don’t respect Chr VI regulations you are in trouble. Specially if these items are under TOY regulations. and getting required levels in such a small production is not easy and not cheap. I think that is the main point.
However considering the price point I think they should be able to use real leather. Shoes and garments companies have these chemical issues under control. You just have to access reliable tanneries and of course pay for it
Hey, thx for sharing the informations. I agree they should use real leather but I guess they want to play it safe in regards to material regulations. However, do you have any suggestions on how to take care of fake leather (beside regular dust cleaning)?

Hey, thx for sharing the informations. I agree they should use real leather but I guess they want to play it safe in regards to material regulations. However, do you have any suggestions on how to take care of fake leather (beside regular dust cleaning)?
Hi! Unfortunately the performance after few years is not in our hands. There are also lot of different qualities of fake leathers and they used to be tested in 3 terms: abrassion, adhesion and flexing. These last two points are the most important ones for our figures. At least companies should make sure adhesion and flexing (cracking) levels are high. The only thing we can do on our side is not forcing/bending parts made with these materials too much in extreme poses and keeping them in a not too dry room. As it dries the glue used to joint the PU surface and bottom textile base layer faster. That will make it flake. But really, using leather care products is not going to help to much, as the main problem is adhesion between base material and top PU layer . Be careful while cleaning dust and make it is soft way. All these things I’m saying are for figures 2-3 years old and depending on PU quality.
Shoes made with PU ( cheaper than leather) are not intended to have such a long life. And even like that those abrassion, adhesion and Flexing are taken seriously as use is going to be heavy. I’m sure people using bags have faced this same problem we face with our figures several times.
Sorry for such long writing 😅

I appreciate your input and insight, and completely respect your knowledge. However, something IS working by doing so as I have not had any flaking issues since I started doing this when before, I’d have belts cracking/flaking especially around the buckles and higher stress points, so I will keep doing this. Other collectors have done the same with similar results :dunno:

Well, up until recently, I thought the same G. I thought all these issues were probably from countries where its very humid.
The only time I had a flaking issue before was on a cheap jacket that I used long long time ago to make a Tyler Durden kitbash.
Figured it was cheap knock off jacket.

All my figures are in a detolf and have always been kept in room temperature. Most of the time, once I find the right pose, that's id, I'd leave it alone.
I recently just noticed that the Crow pants are flaking.
Also, My wolverine Origins belt have flaked off. Jacket fortunately is still fine.

I'm kinda worried now Pre-ordering these 1/3 as I dont even know what to do once they flake off.

Last edited:
Well, up until recently, I thought the same G. I thought all these issues were probably from countries where its very humid.
The only time I had a flaking issue before was on a cheap jacket that I used long long time ago to make a Tyler Durden kitbash.
Figured it was cheap knock off jacket.

All my figures are in a detolf and have always been kept in room temperature. Most of the time, once I find the right pose, that's id, I'd leave it alone.
I recently just noticed that the Crow pants are flaking.
Also, My wolverine Origins belt have flaked off. Jacket fortunately is still fine.

I'm kinda worried now Pre-ordering these 1/3 as I dont even know what to do once they flake off.
I get that. And I’m in no way saying that flaking can’t or won’t happen. My argument for leather stuff (real or fake) was applying some leather protectant can help increase longevity. I know that some like voypabao say it doesn’t/won’t work b/c it’s not real leather (and I’m in no way saying they are wrong in their knowledge), but it seems to be working for me ever since I started doing it to my figures after my DX06 belts started flaking. Obviously won’t work if the damage has already started. And I know that it may not seem to make sense given that most of the time it’s fake leather being used, but something is making it work. Can call it pure luck I guess lol but I’ve been doing it for over 6 years now and my stuff still looks new. My Hot Toys Han Solo boots actually went from very stiff like they would crack any moment to a little softer and more pliable and a deeper black after applying once I noticed they were looking a little dry

Queen Studios is using Polyurethane (PU) for their cape. Can you experts shed any light as to whether this is supposedly better than P1?

Companies like DiD use real leather on their military figures and those cost a fraction of these statue companies. They could’ve just sculpted a cape too.

Queen Studios is using Polyurethane (PU) for their cape. Can you experts shed any light as to whether this is supposedly better than P1?
Not sure if Prime 1 have specified what they use for the cape, likely PU as well. Honestly I think it depends on your environment you live in too. I would imagine hot and humid climates would be a problem, and whether your statues are exposed to the sun for prolonged periods etc. I have stuff with fake leather that I've had for years without an issue.

It baffles me that these companies don't use real leather for something so expensive. I have the Damtoys T800 1/4 scale statue and the entire outfit is made of real leather, including his jacket, pants, belt and boots.

I appreciate your input and insight, and completely respect your knowledge. However, something IS working by doing so as I have not had any flaking issues since I started doing this when before, I’d have belts cracking/flaking especially around the buckles and higher stress points, so I will keep doing this. Other collectors have done the same with similar results :dunno:

Have to disagree about pleather. I think it's an awful material for longevity.

I do believe some collectors say they have had no issues, but at regular room temperature I've seen a lot of stuff disintegrate.

Leather all the way.

Have to disagree about pleather. I think it's an awful material for longevity.

I do believe some collectors say they have had no issues, but at regular room temperature I've seen a lot of stuff disintegrate.

Leather all the way.
Guessing the double quote was a mistake 🤔

But, I'm in no way advocating for pleather, nor was I saying that pleather would not disintegrate. Real quality leather is better than pleather, obviously. If only we could get real leather used on our collectibles regularly instead of special occasions. We've all had instances of pleather cracking most likely, myself included which I did mention. My post was saying that there are steps that can be taken to help it last just a little bit longer though. That's all.

Last edited:
Back