**Preview** Asmus Toys : Battle of Helm's Deep Aragorn

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good but i would also like a bit more of an expression here instead of the stare of nothingness. I know people love neutral faces but just a very little smirk or sth for a charismatic guy like voggo might be great.

Lovecthe progress pics asmus is posting with their figures!

Root hair isn't the option this time,
in many ways we still prefer sculpted hair, to maintain the standard of in hand quality to all our consumers (not everyone is a great hair dresser)
If we are going to make Aragorn root hair again, we will do it to make sure the hair is in prototype condition when collectors unboxing it.
Such case the Crown Gandalf will take us a lot of time just to tidy up with gel and brushing.

in many ways we still prefer sculpted hair, to maintain the standard of in hand quality to all our consumers (not everyone is a great hair dresser)
If we are going to make Aragorn root hair again, we will do it to make sure the hair is in prototype condition when collectors unboxing it.
Such case the Crown Gandalf will take us a lot of time just to tidy up with gel and brushing.

Luv rooted hair Thranduil, Gimli, and Thorin are beautiful. Although they don't have a lot of layers.

But wonderful sculpts are good.:cool:

Any chance you guys will ever go back to the Strider version of Aragorn? Was planning on picking up Crown Gandalf and then I would have liked to at least have one more character with him, preferably Aragorn. Nothing wrong with the Helms deep version but his Fellowship outfit is definitely above it.

That's interesting, I assumed that this Aragorn WAS going to be the Crown Version. But no... this is simply another Aragorn.

So will the Crown Aragorn be King Aragorn? It couldn't possibly have all the outfit variants for all Aragorns.

Going to be a tough decision which one to double-dip on.

Thanks Mr Asmus for allowing us to peek into your development process and allow us to voice our opinions.

I am afraid that with such an important character, lots of questions unavoidably arise:

1) Judging by your post, it still not clear to me whether there will be a rooted hair version of this Aragorn or not. Will we be given the chance to choose?
I of course, like many others, prefer rooted hair: it is much more exciting for me seeing the actual, real threads of hair than just seeing a sculpt of them. It is quite like when boots are made of real fabric: I like them much more even if they are not so accurate as when they are sculpted. Moreover, and as it happens with fabric boots too, rooted hair contributes a very important advantage: improved articulation.

2) Is this new Aragorn a Crown release? Will the Strider outfit be included too? Will there be real metal chainmail like Coomodels is already using on their figures? (e.g. Hospitaller Knight)

3) There are common parts among both outfits, like weapons, boots, and some pieces of clothing. Will we be getting improved versions of the already known parts, like weathered fabric boots/belts/scabbards/blades, better quiver/arrows/bow, clothes, or improvements on tailoring?

4) Are you considering rooring the beard, improving upon what DiD did with their Koulikov?:

6017386438510128559.jpg

5) What accessories should we expect?

6) Any Deluxe version, like with Elrond?

7) Will the head be made available independently?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My 2 cents on the sculpt are below, comparing with pics of Viggo from the net. I might be utterly wrong, so please take all this with more than a pinch of salt:

1) The nose should be longer in the top-bottom direction. The distance between eyes and mouth is ok, but the nose should end closer to the upper lip.

2) The nose should be narrower in the left-right direction.

3) The tip of the nose is to thick. Viggo's nose indeed has a round tip but it is not so big.

4) Viggo's cheeks are less meaty. I bit more skull-ish.

5) Eyes and eyebrows are ok. They are a big part of Viggo's likeness and they are quite ok as they are now. If you improve the above, new subtleties might arise on the eye area that might need more attention, but for now they don't seem a priority. Same applies to the forehead.

6) Maybe the jaw lines should be more straight and angular. The angle of the jaw should lie higher, maybe at same level as the line between both lips.

7) As far as I am concerned, you should not invest any more resources in sculpting hair or facial hear. You'd be way better off investing those resources in improving your hair rooting tech with each new effort you undertake.

LUK
Thanks,
m.

I think I know the answers to some of your questions;
1- seems pretty clear to me that when they say “Rooted hair isn’t the option this time” it means they aren’t doing rooted hair. Unless there’s an outcry of complain and people saying they won’t buy sculpted anymore then the first run is just sculpted. Asmus Have made their own bed in this regard in that they’ve given us such great rooted heads in the past that it really seems like a cop-our when they go all Hot Toys on us- minus the decent sculpting. [No offence mr A)

2- It’s not a Crown release. No Strider clothes or accessories. Definitely no real chainmail. Even for Crown Series Asmus sounded reluctant to attempt it when asked. I believe they’ve said to think of this more like a Slim release... Hopefully that doesn’t mean he’s mostly reused parts.

3- Dunno but I really really hope so as all of Strider’s clothing can be vastly improved. At least the red shirt will be a guaranteed new feature.

4- No chance- and that pic you used as reference offends my eyes.

5- Expect Aragorn’s Sword and Elven Knife [hopefully an improved version] and a spring loaded arm for the ‘Dwarf-tossing’ gimmick. Can’t see him including much else. We’d even be lucky to get his elven cloak.

6- Remains to be seen. I hope this deluxe thing doesn’t become a trend because, as much as I love the company and the line, I really don’t like buying direct from Asmus. The flimsy packages get beaten to death for some reason, crumpling the figure box and they can’t avoid customs.

7- There is a history of this so if we ask nicely then I believe Asmus may just oblige. The easier production of sculpted-haired heads is a positive in this instance.

On a figure which will seemingly be so light on layered clothing and accessories I’d expect to pay less than I am for Elrond so maybe ?130 tops. It’s be a begrudging purchase if the clothing and boots especially aren’t updated- however if all the clothing is new then I won’t complain about him being priced the same as Elrond.
I’d really love for it to come with two heads though and would gladly pay. One neutral face, that we’re seeing in development (which would get transferred immediately to Strider) and one angry/battle-ready sculpt for the Helms Deep version.

Go on Asmus; this is Aragorn! You can always risk going the extra mile for the star of the show.

That's interesting, I assumed that this Aragorn WAS going to be the Crown Version. But no... this is simply another Aragorn.

So will the Crown Aragorn be King Aragorn? It couldn't possibly have all the outfit variants for all Aragorns.

Going to be a tough decision which one to double-dip on.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to eventually see a Black Gate or Coronation Crown Aragorn. I think he's almost a lock. But if I'm remembering correctly they did say a while back that they were aiming more for a slim release for the Helms Deep Aragorn. I think? Am I making that up?

I have their original Aragorn. I bought the separate rooted head sculpt. I would buy another full release box set if they went that route
I only want the plastic hair allows to pose in action stance

Enviado desde mi SM-P550 mediante Tapatalk

I wouldn't be surprised at all to eventually see a Black Gate or Coronation Crown Aragorn. I think he's almost a lock. But if I'm remembering correctly they did say a while back that they were aiming more for a slim release for the Helms Deep Aragorn. I think? Am I making that up?

Yeah you are remembering correctly

Any chance you guys will ever go back to the Strider version of Aragorn? Was planning on picking up Crown Gandalf and then I would have liked to at least have one more character with him, preferably Aragorn. Nothing wrong with the Helms deep version but his Fellowship outfit is definitely above it.

I'd prefer a DX Strider, since I don't have Aragorn at all! But Helm's Deep is good.

Back