Preserving Collectable Game Guides / Magazines - Suggestions?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theneonirvana

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Good afternoon!

Hi have a bunch of really old Collectable Magazines, Like the old FF7, FF8 FF9, FF10, XenoGears, CronoCross Brandy Game Guides. These guides are your standard 11x8 pretty much bet they are a couple hundred pages. they are paperback.

I have been trying to find some sort of plexiglass collectable containers, maybe even display cases, and was wondering what other people do.
I would like to have them sealed against moisture and on display.
I can find these sort of items that WATA Grading and others use for physical Games, but i cant really find anything great online for thick magazines rather than thin ones (like time magazine or playboy or w.e)
Any one have any suggestions for Displaying and preserving them? Especially against Moisture and Light/UV i would really appreaciate any feedback

Thank you!!

Generally it’s recommended not to steal up books because that can easily trap moisture inside.

You want air circulating around them and to control the humidity of the environment they’re stored in more so than try to prevent all moisture from getting to them.

Maybe you could get the most important ones framed with all archival grade materials and anti UV museum acrylic? Having them on a wall would be a good way to display them and doing it the right way would keep them well protected.

Excellent Suggestion. I thought of framing them a while ago but couldn't find anything adequate because of the thickness of the book (approx half inch)

Framing on a wall would look nice. I wonder am i at the point of building custom frames?

I have been off and on looking for display cases, and haven't gone back to looking for frames. I don't want it to seem like im asking people to do my shopping for me, i have been looking into this for quite some time. Its becoming more of a problem because i keep expanding my collection.

ill continue to shop.
About the framing process. Alot of suggestions for preserving books or magazines suggest putting acid free tissue or other paper between pages to ensure they do not stick togather. Knowing these books through the years, ive seen many copies with stuck together pages due to humidity or negligence.

This of course would make the book even thicker, and i worry about it would stress the binding? after being made thicker? Any suggestion/Advice on this step / Process?

Thank you very much in advance, this most definitely is not my area of expertise, Learning and wanting to do it correctly the first time. Thank you again :)

I have come to accept the fact some if not most paper material will deteriorate over time. The rate and severity depends on storage environment.

Biggest issue would be humidity, oxygen, UV, heat and bugs.

Most paper will fox over time. Foxing is related to mold believe it or not. Some paper fox more than others.

Different paper materials eg colored glossy cover will leave stains on matte b&w pages as it is common on japanese comic books. Even plastic book wraps may leave stains. The ink used also have some effect.

I wrap my books in pp clear plastic and try to squeeze as much air out. I use 3m expensive tapes as they dont shrink or dry as much as cheap tapes. Fold the tape 1/4 up so it can be opened/resealed. You may say it is bad practise but compared to my fully exposed books the deterioration is much less but they still deteriorate. Most common are the edges of pages exposed. I do this on game manuals, cd booklets (they are of worst qualities).

Those acrylic cases arent airtight. Getting it graded doesnt mean it will remain the same condition over time.

Your best bet is avoid high humidity, heat, uv and bugs. Enjoy them while you can. Theres reason why books get reprinted. Magazines are harder to maintain as they arent designed with longevity in mind most of the time.

If you have the money, acid free paper can help preserving them.

Excellent Suggestion. I thought of framing them a while ago but couldn't find anything adequate because of the thickness of the book (approx half inch)

Framing on a wall would look nice. I wonder am i at the point of building custom frames?

I have been off and on looking for display cases, and haven't gone back to looking for frames. I don't want it to seem like im asking people to do my shopping for me, i have been looking into this for quite some time. Its becoming more of a problem because i keep expanding my collection.

ill continue to shop.
About the framing process. Alot of suggestions for preserving books or magazines suggest putting acid free tissue or other paper between pages to ensure they do not stick togather. Knowing these books through the years, ive seen many copies with stuck together pages due to humidity or negligence.

This of course would make the book even thicker, and i worry about it would stress the binding? after being made thicker? Any suggestion/Advice on this step / Process?

Thank you very much in advance, this most definitely is not my area of expertise, Learning and wanting to do it correctly the first time. Thank you again :)
Adding acid free paperon each page will double the thickness and may deform the books. It may still stick as usually this happens to color pages where ink starts to become sticky. I say unbleached parchment paper is better as they are nonstick. But they are expensive. Best method is ensure they arent under pressure. So framing it might add pressure on the pages and increase chance of fusing.

Generally it’s recommended not to steal up books because that can easily trap moisture inside.

You want air circulating around them and to control the humidity of the environment they’re stored in more so than try to prevent all moisture from getting to them.

Maybe you could get the most important ones framed with all archival grade materials and anti UV museum acrylic? Having them on a wall would be a good way to display them and doing it the right way would keep them well protected.
Imo if you can squeeze out the air you reduce both oxygen and humidity. If the environment is humid and you cant lower it sealing might be better than having them exposed. Avoid using book sleeves, they go bad and shrink over the years.

Back