Predator 5 - Prey (2022)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really enjoyed it. Cinematography was stunning, and it was nice to see a film just do something simple like set things up early on that they pay off later in the film, something a lot of modern films seem more and more too lazy to even bother with.

My only real complaints are that they kept cutting away from a lot of the kills for some inexplicable reason, like they were trying to go for a PG-13 or something, plus the actual Predator design wasn’t my favorite. Also I was ready to hate the movie the whole time because I just kept expecting the dog to get killed.

BTW this and Predators are both miles better than cheesy P2 for me.

Watched today and had zero expectations but ended up really enjoying it.

That was my approach as well. It's part of the Predator series so I wasn't expecting much, yet it really surprised me.

Felt like a return to form after so much garbage this franchise has suffered through, especially the 2018 atrocity, the different time period was a breath of fresh air and while the predator design could've been better I appreciate them showing that like the humans it was still developing it's tech, one could make the argument the predators we see in 1 and 2 look that way because they've been evolving with humans as they've hunted them over the years but looks aside it has some of the most enjoyable predator action in all the franchise, too bad it also turned dumb torwards the end but at least in this movie it's a bit more believable since it's mask was taken. Gore was a bonus too.

I got the sense it was young and on its first hunt. It got cocky, and the arrogance grew to the point where it was literally daring the prey on several occasions to kill it. Being able to paralyse his enemies like that more than once set him up for his fatal error.

I also liked Naru as a protagonist and how she used her own mistakes, knowledge of the land and the predator's own tricks to her advantage, her dingo was also a neat addition as he actually aided her a number of times and she would've been dead if not for the pup.

The dog was actually historically accurate too, which impressed me as so many common breeds aren't much more than hundred years or so old.

That, along with the smattering of Comanche and the cinematography itself, gave the impression that the film wanted to be something better than the franchise it represented.

Is it Predator 1 or 2? Hell no, those are timeless classics but for me it can stand alongside those films, having 3 distinct protagonists, eras and settings actually makes for a pretty cool "trilogy" for me especially with that tie in and I appreciate them trying to do something geniunely different for once even if some of it didn't work, mostly the cgi, new predator face design and the long first act but overall I had a good time with it and would like to see more Predator flicks set in other time periods or even a sequel with Naru to see how that tie in shows up in another movie.

P2 is my favourite, as I wrote before, due to the expanded environment and being the first to put Predator into the Alien universe.

P1 seems a bit cheesy now, especially in contrast to Prey, due it being a macho muscleman vehicle for the actors, which was very much of its time. Arnie was flexing his muscles in the jungle, Stallone had just flexed his in the city while chewing on a matchstick in Cobra.

PS: I'm actually a bit surprised to see so many hate it on here, really feels like a lot of people have had their ability to enjoy things poisoned by nostalgia, and this isn't the majority on here but I won't even try to understand people online saying it's "woke" because it has a female protagonist, grown men throwing hissy fits if a movie or show has women and people of other races and gender in it has become just as tiresome as Hollywood's endless virtue signaling.

As you wrote in another post, some people selectively forget that Ripley and Sarah were doing these things decades ago.

Just finished watching Prey, they did a great job with it, and looking at the Predator, it kind of looked like what the original Predator design was supposed to look like for the 1987 movie, when Jean Claude Van Damme was supposed to be playing the Predator, before Stan Winston came up with the Jungle Hunter design.......:)

I really enjoyed this!

This Predator was a beast without being cartoony like the one we saw in the last one.

Beautiful cinematography and scenery and a very fitting score.

Naru doing that little sidestep to let the cloaked Predator walk by so that he could kill the one-legged trapper was so freaking cool, lol.

looking at the Predator, it kind of looked like what the original Predator design was supposed to look like for the 1987 movie, when Jean Claude Van Damme was supposed to be playing the Predator, before Stan Winston came up with the Jungle Hunter design.......:)
I thought of that as well. I really liked how the bone helmet gave him more of a demonic than sci-fi vibe.

I got the sense it was young and on its first hunt. It got cocky, and the arrogance grew to the point where it was literally daring the prey on several occasions to kill it. Being able to paralyse his enemies like that more than once set him up for his fatal error.
I had the same idea. It started with small prey at first. The snake hardly posed a threat, so he moved up to the wolf. He could've taken him out at once but he dared him into somewhat of a fight. Same with the bear. The Pred got mauled a bit, but when playtime was over he quickly ended it. Then he started to get really cocky around the humans.

LOL - I stopped reading thread updates from page 18 to 30 ( to avoid spoilers over the last 2 weeks).

Watched this today and really enjoyed it.

Not a classic in the same way PREDATOR & PREDATOR 2 were, and not as intense as PREDATORS, but in the same way that Dark Horse have kept the franchise alive, so will this.

Very VERY well acted, scripted, filmed and paced (even thought the 1st 30mins were a bit slow) - I'm SO glad this was made.

My ranking:
1) Predator 2​
2) Predator​
3) Predators​
4=) Prey​
4=) The Predator (1st hour only due to characterisations)​
6) AVP​
7) AVP-R​

I'm safe - I'm imported from England/Scotland (50/50) - thank Lemmy I have ZERO Welsh in my heritage! :naughty

Oof.gif

The Welsh are nice too. :monkey3

Back