Predator 5 - Prey (2022)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first was designed and sculpted by Stan Winston's guys. The second was by the guys at ADI, who did the AvPreds.

Alec Gillis and Tom Woodruff run ADI and they were two of Winston’s top crew for many years. Clearly they learnt nothing from the master. I can’t think of a single film that ADI have worked on that has quality creature work.

I do like their Alien³ work, and the Thing 2011 designs before they were overlaid with CGI. But yeah, they're not a patch on the greats like John Rosengrant, Steve Wang or Shane Mahan.

Alec Gillis and Tom Woodruff run ADI and they were two of Winston’s top crew for many years. Clearly they learnt nothing from the master. I can’t think of a single film that ADI have worked on that has quality creature work.
Tremors? AVP-R? Alien 3? Alien Resurrection?

Those last three are controversial films, but the practical creature work was great.

even Predators was more interesting.

Now that's interesting.

George_Lucas.jpg

It was horrendous… the predator looked ok I guess

Let’s put it this was as garbage as a movie it was I’d still rather see this than another scarlet witch or whatever

I mean the reality is that really nothing ever needed to be made other than the first movie. It doesn’t mean there won’t be predator movies until the end of time though.

So expectations always need to be kept in check.

Predators was a criminally underrated movie if you ask me. Deemed unoriginal at the time and **** on by critics however it was far more original than this film which essentially is as cookie cutter as the first. The exception is this has a female lead which makes me think that it deterred critics from giving it poor reviews in spite of it being really nothing more than a terrible film. Far cry from something deserving of a 92% RT rating.

I could get past the literal cartoon animals and the 1717 natives speaking as if they were TikTok stars from 2022 if the story had anything unique to offer at all. But it doesn’t

Tremors? AVP-R? Alien 3? Alien Resurrection?

Those last three are controversial films, but the practical creature work was great.
Fair point. I guess my feeling is three of those four films all came from either Alien and Predator and there is nothing interesting and original compared to what Winston did in Aliens and Predator. They keep tweaking the Predator design and it seems to get worse every time (admittedly the director was the one who changed the design). When I say quality, I’m talking about design work, not just technical expertise. Alien Resurrection especially has some truly awful creature effects that I never want to see again. Plus something that ADI just don’t do well is integrate physical to CG. Winston was an expert at that. I’m sure they have done quality work that I am not thinking of, but when I see the remake of The Thing or The Predator or Bright I just see not very good work.

A film about an alien race with a face like an octopus going from planet to planet hunting other apex predators for sport, I can believe in. A little girl winning, too far fetched.

Plus something that ADI just don’t do well is integrate physical to CG. Winston was an expert at that.
I think that says more about the studio, honestly.

And in Jurassic Park's case you had ILM, a VFX vendor that wields a big enough stick to take the time and resources necessary to produce the best work. They used the Winston sculpts as reference for their CG models and worked with the practical artists to bridge the gap between mediums. Even the CG dinosaurs were animated by stop-motion animators using real, physical rigs.

In modern movies, you don't have that kind of coordination. Heck, the movie isn't even really fully planned before shooting begins. There's always an expectation that significant changes can be made in post-production or that the movie will somehow manifest itself in the cut. Disparate bits and pieces are shot and the editors are expected to do what they can to magically generate a story -- with VFX filling in the missing pieces.

To get great effects in either medium, you need time to plan and studios today seem to think they can skip that stage. The results speak for themselves.

Looking forward to the next reimagined design of a Predator face. At this point I wouldn’t be too surprised if mandibles and dreads were removed. This Predator looked a newspaper flew on his face and he just left it there!!!

Back