polar

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LIBBY1957DOG

Super Freak
Reaction score

not seen any talk about this but watched it any way ,nothing too original ,but i was entertained :lol

its got ,the guy out of jackass ,the guy from the carlsberg adds ,the chick from highschool musical ,the shark guy from jaws ,lagertha from vikings ,and the fat bald guy from little britain,

its got to be worth a shot :lol

guessed the john wick fans would enjoy it :)

i got almost a robocop vibe from it :dunno

COMICSMads Mikkelsen on the Grotesqueness, Humor and Nudity of Netflix’s ‘Polar’ [Interview]Published 2 days ago on January 21, 2019 By Fred Topel

Spoiler warning.

Polar is not Mads Mikkelsen’s first comic book movie. He played the villain in Marvel’s Doctor Strange, of course, but Polar is decidedly more violent than Marvel’s output. Mikkelsen plays Duncan Vizla in this comic book adaptation, a hitman who murders people in graphic ways, in a world full of hitmen who seem to try to one-up each other’s kills.

“The comic books of Doctor Strange and Marvel films, in general, are obviously superheroes with superpowers,” Mikkelsen told Bloody-Disgusting. “What they lift from the realistic thing is the super thing. What we lift from Polar is the style, the grotesqueness of the whole thing. So that’s also a lifted film but it doesn’t have the superpowers.”

The movie adaptation of Polar brings some of the surreal aspects of the comic down to earth, but trades them for blood and guts.

“I think we were all very impressed with the comic book,” Mikkelsen said. “We call it a graphic novel because that’s what we call it in Europe. It was the simplicity of the black and white and red colors and then very, very comic book characters. Some of the characters were 10 times bigger physically than some of the other characters. We were wondering a lot about how we can bring that on screen without actually having somebody who’s 10 times bigger, but try to make it grotesque in that world.”

Polar has a sense of humor too. At one point, Duncan speaks to a grade school class and demonstrates his knife technique on a child.

“We thought it would be a great idea that we started a scene like that,” Mikkelsen said. “Instead of just sitting there chit-chatting with the kids, it would be fun to make the kid piss his pants. And this character Duncan doesn’t really notice. He’s not really good with kids. He’s not really good with people. He has a hard time reading them unless they’re killers. Those he can read. Normal people he has a hard time with.”

In more intense moments, Mikkelsen has to take out armies of attackers barehanded, and bare-assed. A long action sequence occurs with Duncan in a state of undress, making it far more brutal on the actor than his big studio blockbusters.

“Doctor Strange was also going on for days,” Mikkelsen said. “I had a fight with Benedict Cumberbatch that was also quite a big thing. The difference was that I could be padded on my elbows and my knees on that film. I could not on this one. I was literally not wearing any clothes meaning that I would have to fall on my elbow on a concrete wall. That’s a different ball game.”

Polar premieres on Netflix on Friday, January 25.

This is one of those movies where I definitely want to watch it, but it's easily forgettable. This has been on my radar for a while and I had already forgot all about it until this post.

yeah i saw it last monday ,watched it on some streaming app thing, kodi that ive had installed on a android device , i think it hits netflicks today the 25th :)

I watched it today. Incredibly average. Strange tonal shifts throughout the whole thing... I don't know whether the director was going style over substance on purpose? But it just appeared hammy... and not in a great Kick Ass type way...

And imo Mads Mikkelson seems to be that guy that everyone loves for no discernible reason. Personally, I think he's a stilted, wooden actor. That style suited Hannibal perfectly hence why he has gotten so much love... but man is he an underwhelming screen presence. Having said that, the fight scene in the tunnel is quite well staged.

3 stars

yeah i saw it last monday ,watched it on some streaming app thing, kodi that ive had installed on a android device , i think it hits netflicks today the 25th :)

I’ll check again tonight, thanks! I was sad it wasn’t up yet as I could have used a mid season break from the Punisher. I only have the last three episodes left so I’ll probably finish that first.

Watching it now.. it's no John Wick, but entertaining for a Saturday afternoon..

Edit: And yes, it's a little all over the show with styling. It starts off trying to be the John Wick version of Kick-Ass, but by the time crap really starts hitting the fan it just goes into ultraviolent Taken/Wick mode..

It's not a deep movie but I found it entertaining. I did not see the slight twist at the end coming. Am I the only one who thought Sindy was pretty hot? I actually had to google Ruby O Fee after I watched this. :lol

It's not a deep movie but I found it entertaining. I did not see the slight twist at the end coming. Am I the only one who thought Sindy was pretty hot? I actually had to google Ruby O Fee after I watched this. :lol

if i was mads, that cabin scene would have taken 20 takes.lol

Yeah... pretty average film.
I think it was just trying too hard to be edgy and offensive.
I did like Mikkelsen and Hudgens though. The rest was disposable, even Winnick, who is a goddess as Lagertha.

Back