Pixar: Lightyear

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wasn't there already a series of cartoons based on the fictional Buzz character in the Toy Story universe?

This just seems redundant. I can't tell Pixar from Dreamworks movies anymore, and that's sad. Pixar used to have such high standards. Now it's all the same shiny mush.

Yes, it was a cartoon in the early 2000's.

It makes no sense for Tim Allen not to voice Buzz, because in real life just about every toy with voice effects that is based on a film character usually uses the voice of the actor or someone doing a spot on impression, like all Woody dolls in real life which are voiced by Tom Hank's bother, because he sounds like Tom Hanks. It's pretty obvious now that Disney replaced Tim Allen because of his personal views/politics.

Yeah I vaguely remember the cartoon, but it looks cool. I wonder if any of the cartoon characters are going to be reprised.

I actually like the approach of the film, come to recall, I remember seeing an artist make an awesome render of a 'realistic' Buzz Lightyear way back:

1JB1HCJ.jpg

The artist even created a story to go along with it, which is a riveting concept:

https://www.deviantart.com/danluvisiart/art/To-Infinity-and-Beyond-371954685

I love sci-fi and this works for me. But Chris Evans voice for this...kind of reminds me when he was playing as Loki in Thor: TDW and was trying a deep voice.

Liking what I see!

So they are stuck on an Alien planet and trying to get their shuttle working to find their way home. Does this pretty much confirm that this is a movie within a movie, and that the Tim Allen Buzz Lightyear is a toy from this movie?

Perhaps Lightyear ends with Andy in the cinema saying how much he wants a Buzz Lightyear action figure?

This looks like something that would have made for an interesting little short film but I dunno if it's worth stretching out to feature film length.

I saw this on a Disney cruise ship full of Disney fanatics and the people around me were confused as to what it was supposed to be. When the opening text popped up there were quite a few ooooohhhhhh's. All in all it was a decent movie but definitely on the lower end of the Pixar list. I think they got too cute with the idea and it really just confused people.

I never thought this would be one of Pixar's flops with one of their most iconic characters. I'll watch it eventually, but definitely not running to my local theater to see it.

I was planning to take my son to see this. He loves Toy Story and Buzz is his favourite. Everything I've seen about this though suggests it's nothing like the Toy Story films and this is the very different Buzz, so we didn't see it in the end.
Apparently we didn't miss much.

I think that's the part that hurt it the most. I'm not sure why anyone thought it would be like the Toy Story movies. People just didn't understand that it was a sci fi movie that the toy was based on.

Yeah, not sure why anyone would have been confused, it never looked like a Toy Story movie and it was never marketed as such.

I thought they were pretty clear on what it was.

I think that's the part that hurt it the most. I'm not sure why anyone thought it would be like the Toy Story movies. People just didn't understand that it was a sci fi movie that the toy was based on.
Yes it was obvious when I watched the trailers it wasn't going to be anything like Toy Story.
That's why I didn't take my young son and its probably why a lot of parents didn't take their kids.

Probably because of all the negativity I quite enjoyed this with the lower expectations. Definitely not top tier Pixar but very entertaining. Great characters that are just very flawed and real, surprisingly thoughtful story. Agree it was marketed all wrong and that text at the front is such a blatant response to test screenings. It’s turned me round into considering the figure now. Sox is a star. My kids loved it too.

Not a bad movie. I can see why it didn't resonate with people though. The end scene with the new suits is what the movie should have been though, actual Space Rangers patrolling space. It's funny how in the TS world, the Buzz figure is based on a suit that is barely in the film, but in the real world it's the opposite, the suit that gets turned into a toy and is in all the marketing material is the one that's in most of the movie.

EDIT: Oh and saying this film is woke because of, what....15 frames, is laughable.

Caught it on the ol + finally. Decent stand alone movie, just not quite the buzz Lightyear I imagined when I was a kid.

Back