organizing interested collectors to request Sideshow make 1/6 line for Baldur's Gate

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alatar

Super Freak
Reaction score
I've loved playing the Baldur's Gate game for 20 years. I would consider a 1/6 collection of them to be absolute grails.

There's a lot of NPCs. But it'd probably be just the canon party to start. Imo it should be BG1 to get the ball rolling if something like this were to ever happen.

bg1 canon party.jpg

They're Wizards of the Coast D&D characters. As far as I can see Hasbro owns the rights.

WotC is finally making the Forgotten Realms (Faerun) it's flagship setting. And I would think that they'd love to see something like this help sell the brand. BG 1/6 figures could be a tremendous ambassador for the setting and related products that they make.

Please let me know if you're also interested in this as well. I'd like to see if there are enough of us out there to get Sideshow interested in making such a collection.

I don't know what the best strategy is. Probably a FB page? Please share ideas below to brainstorm how we might get some traction on this.

Well if there's enough interest in figures from this game, then maybe that can help open up prospects for other games?

The problem is how to stir up enough interest in potential customers (D&D players, BG players, 1/6 collectors) to demonstrate to Sideshow that there's a good profit to be made here.

It seems like nostalgia is a proven market. So the fact that the game is old isn't necessarily a problem.

It would obviously help if figures look awesome. Regardless of whether folks have played the game, when a great looking figure becomes available, then a lot of 1/6 collectors will be interested.

Also since presumably a very limited number of these figures would be made, there'd be a lot of scalpers snatching them up.

I've been requesting Tombstone figures for about 10 years and guess what

If Sideshow took fan demand into account the complete inventory of available 1/6 figures out there would look 90 percent different than what we currently have
Of course they do not.

I just thought of Sideshow first so I just threw that out in the thread title. But there’s also Threezero which has already partnered with Hasbro Plus for Power Rangers and Transformers. Hasbro Plus is Hasbro’s toy division. Hasbro owns WotC. WotC in turn owns the Baldur's Gate IP. So that’s a possible inroad.

I’ve decided to take this up as a quest.

I’ve already belonged to One Sixth Republic on FB for a couple of years, although I don’t actually use Facebook. Lol, like I literally never open FB. But I guess now I will, at least for the private 1/6 figure groups. I’m currently in the process of joining other 1/6 figure and D&D FB groups to try to see if I can build some interest in this idea.

Please support and come along for this crazy adventure. :pigfly:

A0F7095E-49FB-4B48-A357-AF0F9AFEEF83.jpg

One thing I’m considering as a sort of proof of concept is to see if a custom artist will make a one-off unauthorized Minsc. I.e., then going around with photos of it and asking “if a line of these was available, would you buy some of them?” Or assuming that I can indeed find a talented artist to do that, I guess I should say that I’d have to see how much something like that might cost.

So I’ve decided that I’m going to try to commission an artist to design a custom 1/6 Minsc as proof of concept.

I need a place to consolidate my efforts. Or, well, our efforts I should say, hopefully, if others are up for supporting this. So I’ll create a Wordpress blog about this quest that I’ve taken up. Hopefully it will gain some momentum and others that want to see this come to pass as well will help in whatever ways we can dream up to build wider support.

Lol, about as ‘first world’ a problem as you can get for a blog! But hey we’re entitled to our silly hobby.

Alright, I'm creating the blog as we speak. Trying to come up with a decent name. Please offer suggestions! Thus far I've got:

title: Nestled Atop the Cliffs...

tagline: My Quixotic Quest to Get 1/6 Figures Made for the Baldur's Gate Games

But I welcome any and all suggestions if you've got some!

Sorry, I hope this isn't considered spam because I'm posting in General, Customs, and Video games to try to reach as many eyeballs as possible.

Most recent video displaying current progress of the body and gear:

and some recent stills also of body and gear:

Attachments

• minsc body 1.jpg
    minsc body 1.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 35
  • minsc body 2.jpg
    minsc body 2.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 32
  • minsc body 3.jpg
    minsc body 3.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 35
  • minsc body 4.jpg
    minsc body 4.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 27
The above images got a really enthusiastic, supportive reception on the Baldur's Gate subreddit: .

Back