**Beware SPOILERS** Obi-Wan Kenobi Series on Disney+ **Beware SPOILERS**

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Epic Film & Television:
  • Star Wars OT
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark
  • Aliens
  • Braveheart
  • Gladiator
  • LOTR
  • The Infinity Saga
  • Game of Thrones

That's what I can think of right off the top of my head that fits my conception of 'epic'. I think the Mandalorian is very good, not epic. Interestingly, in the list above you could argue that 3 out of 8 failed to stick the landing, whether it was impossible expectations or a relatively weak ending.

*Edited to add Raiders after Wor-Gar reminded me.
Nice list, I'd add the original Planet of the Apes saga
While not all great, combined the overall circular arc was Epic, at least to my young eyes seeing them back to back broadcast on the Sat movie marathon.

5w97k9.gif

5w99h9.gif

5w9eu3.gif

5w9a4m.gif

5w9alq.gif

-

Mando has some potential, depending on how the Quest for Mandalor arc plays out.
Maybe when combined with all the other Favreau/Felloni/(now)Rodriguez shows, Mando, Fett, Ahsoka, all dovetailing back together to defeat Thrawn.
All combined will make for a "FavrOniVerse" big Epic saga.

Don't think Kenobi or Andor are part of their purview though.

Last edited:
As an OT purist, the reason I hate that fan-made "reimagined" scene has nothing to do with CGI or it not being how it was when I was a kid. I hate it because it's silly af when I'm watching it.

At one point, for example, Vader literally turns his back to Kenobi in order to twirl his lightsaber :rotflwhile Kenobi stands there waiting for Vader to turn around. :lol

HitHimDummy.jpg

Later, Vader tosses Kenobi into a wall and throws his saber at him like a javelin, sticking it in the wall right by his head. Obi-Wan could've just grabbed the hilt at that point, switched it off, and been in possession of both weapons. :lol

GrabItDummy.jpg

And if they're going to use the Force during a sword duel to lift their opponents into the air and toss them around, why isn't Vader grabbing Kenobi and tossing him into the lightsaber? Or grab him, hold him in place, and chuck the lightsaber at him?

So, this "reimagined" scene just ends up making Vader seem like some kind of out-of-control lunatic who is also quite stupid. If you grew up with the prequels, yeah I guess that would make perfect sense. :lol But I prefer the way Vader came across before the PT, as a calculating and cerebral character. That makes him more impressive, and also more sinister, IMO.

I really don't understand how anyone over the age of 12 can watch the ROTS duel between Obi and Anakin and not think its fairly ridiculous. From the balancing acts all the way to the "high ground" it is just nonsense and worse, not very exciting -- there is no moment of threat, danger or genuine suspense.

Granted, the duel between Ben and Vader in ANH was never that great. It was the idea. Lucas nailed a perfect saber duel in ESB. The duel in TPM was also quite well done (minus the superman leaps which were simply planted throughout to justify the necessary "jump" for Obi-Wan to flip over Maul).

I really don't understand how anyone over the age of 12 can watch the ROTS duel between Obi and Anakin and not think its fairly ridiculous. From the balancing acts all the way to the "high ground" it is just nonsense and worse, not very exciting -- there is no moment of threat, danger or genuine suspense.

Granted, the duel between Ben and Vader in ANH was never that great. It was the idea. Lucas nailed a perfect saber duel in ESB. The duel in TPM was also quite well done (minus the superman leaps which were simply planted throughout to justify the necessary "jump" for Obi-Wan to flip over Maul).
My favorite lightsaber duel is the Empire one. Vader was testing Luke the whole time until Luke hit his shoulder and then Vader had enough and ended it. Your right about Vader being calculated. The duel in a new hope was not exciting but since the swords were so delicate I understand why. The phantom Menace duel was really well done also. Epic music in it as well helped to elevate it. The reimaging to me looks cool at first but doesn't fit. Especially after the Rogue One Vader scene. He was a monster in it and used the Force and Lightsaber in tandem very quickly to wipe out the rebel soldiers. Makes the Obi Wan duel redo more ridiculous in that Vader is not as calculated.

The fact that these movies evolve is the reason why some may like the re-imagining because it encompasses a lot of things we have seen before now worked into the oldest duel in SW filmdom to "update" it, plus alot of video game moves and "ooh that's cool" bits. ANH is nearly 50 years old; probably older than most of its fans. In another 50 years, future duels will make this re-imagining look dull and uninspired.

My favorite lightsaber duel is the Empire one. Vader was testing Luke the whole time until Luke hit his shoulder and then Vader had enough and ended it. Your right about Vader being calculated. The duel in a new hope was not exciting but since the swords were so delicate I understand why. The phantom Menace duel was really well done also. Epic music in it as well helped to elevate it. The reimaging to me looks cool at first but doesn't fit. Especially after the Rogue One Vader scene. He was a monster in it and used the Force and Lightsaber in tandem very quickly to wipe out the rebel soldiers. Makes the Obi Wan duel redo more ridiculous in that Vader is not as calculated.
Good stuff.

As far as I'm concerned, the ESB duel will never be matched, much less surpassed. And it has everything to do with storytelling (much more so than even the great visuals). It was basically a three-act story set inside the third act of a larger story.

Act One: A supremely confident Vader toys with Luke, wielding his red saber with only one hand, testing the kid and methodically leading the fight to the center of the freezing chamber until he deposits the Jedi student into the pit. It ends with Vader's declaration that this was "all too easy."

Act Two: Luke isn't just a Jedi student, he's Anakin's son. Vader is impressed (*most* impressed). Now it's not just about luring Luke into carbonite, it's about respect being gained and taking a better measure of his abilities. Both hands on the saber now. In retrospect, you can easily picture the wheels turning in Vader's mind.

Act Three: Vader unleashed. No more toying. Vader ends the duel, but not the story. The kid might have what it takes; a team-up could yield a seat on the throne. The crescendo is "I am your father." Luke has a choice to make. And the man-turned-monster who is Vader has connected once again with his human side for the first time in 20 years. Internal conflict set in, and he's got a lot to think about. Same for Luke. One headed toward the light, the other toward the dark.

******* awesome! Can't be beaten. Although the ROTJ duel is vastly underrated. But these things eventually turned into little more than circus acts set to great music. There's no going back. It just makes me appreciate the storytelling of those OT duels all the more! Even the question of who ignites his saber first is part of each story. It ends up being a critical point with respect to Luke. Ah, the good ol' days. :lol

Good stuff.

As far as I'm concerned, the ESB duel will never be matched, much less surpassed. And it has everything to do with storytelling (much more so than even the great visuals). It was basically a three-act story set inside the third act of a larger story.

Act One: A supremely confident Vader toys with Luke, wielding his red saber with only one hand, testing the kid and methodically leading the fight to the center of the freezing chamber until he deposits the Jedi student into the pit. It ends with Vader's declaration that this was "all too easy."

Act Two: Luke isn't just a Jedi student, he's Anakin's son. Vader is impressed (*most* impressed). Now it's not just about luring Luke into carbonite, it's about respect being gained and taking a better measure of his abilities. Both hands on the saber now. In retrospect, you can easily picture the wheels turning in Vader's mind.

Act Three: Vader unleashed. No more toying. Vader ends the duel, but not the story. The kid might have what it takes; a team-up could yield a seat on the throne. The crescendo is "I am your father." Luke has a choice to make. And the man-turned-monster who is Vader has connected once again with his human side for the first time in 20 years. Internal conflict set in, and he's got a lot to think about. Same for Luke. One headed toward the light, the other toward the dark.

******* awesome! Can't be beaten. Although the ROTJ duel is vastly underrated. But these things eventually turned into little more than circus acts set to great music. There's no going back. It just makes me appreciate the storytelling of those OT duels all the more! Even the question of who ignites his saber first is part of each story. It ends up being a critical point with respect to Luke. Ah, the good ol' days. :lol
Yep I agree with all of that. Very important Duel to see so much in it. Great cinematography and the build up of William"s score helped to build the overall tension and the pace.

Back