1/6 NEXT Hot Toys STAR WARS Figure...?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Hot Toys has a blanket Star Wars license but they don’t like to take unnecessary risks with it.

A Purge Trooper may have happened if they had already done an Airborne Trooper as a repaint, but I don’t think companies wanted to develop too much for the game in advance in case it flopped.

Hasbro made very minimal figures and only to meet the Triple Force Friday promotion.

It’s a shame, too. Love the game. Would’ve liked to see figures from it, as well as more merchandise in general.

Yes, HT has the Star Wars license from Disney. However, I don't think they can make Fallen Order figures without getting some sort of license from EA/ReSpawn. HT probably didn't want to pay the extra license fees.

Yes, HT has the Star Wars license from Disney. However, I don't think they can make Fallen Order figures without getting some sort of license from EA/ReSpawn. HT probably didn't want to pay the extra license fees.
Were that the case then I don’t think Hasbro would’ve bothered making Black Series and The Vintage Collection figures for the game.

Especially TVC. They always talk about the Star Wars license fee and the cost of making figures for TVC. I don’t think they’d do it if they had to pay more.

EA is just a license holder themselves. Everything goes back to LFL/Disney. They own the characters.

The back of the packaging for the Fallen Order Black Series figures all say ©Lucasfilm and have the Disney logo. No mention of EA.

Last edited:
Were that the case then I don’t think Hasbro would’ve bothered making Black Series and The Vintage Collection figures for the game.

Especially TVC. They always talk about the Star Wars license fee and the cost of making figures for TVC. I don’t think they’d do it if they had to pay more.

EA is just a license holder themselves. Everything goes back to LFL/Disney. They own the characters.

The back of the packaging for the Fallen Order Black Series figures all say ©Lucasfilm and have the Disney logo. No mention of EA.
Yep, EA/Respawn don’t have a say.

When DICE were making Battlefront 2 they had to get approval from Lucasfilm for absolutely every little detail, the same probably went for Respawn.

Disney/Lucasfilm own it all, nobody else has a say. I’m not really sure why people think HT only has a license for specific movies/shows and characters, I’m pretty certain they can make whatever they want from whatever they want within Star Wars so long as the licensor (Disney/Lucasfilm) approves it.

Exactly.

It seems to come up as a reasoning for why Hot Toys doesn’t make more or certain Star Wars figures, which really just boils down to:

1. Hot Toys is really conservative with Star Wars figures overall, especially with the poor performance of TFA figures.

2. Star Wars isn’t popular in their domestic market.

They’re not going to take risks, and Star Wars merchandise was a bit of a risk before The Mandalorian exploded into mainstream popularity.

Exactly.

It seems to come up as a reasoning for why Hot Toys doesn’t make more or certain Star Wars figures, which really just boils down to:

1. Hot Toys is really conservative with Star Wars figures overall, especially with the poor performance of TFA figures.

They’re not going to take risks, and Star Wars merchandise was a bit of a risk before The Mandalorian exploded into mainstream popularity.
Howard makes what Howard wants on his shelf :lol

I guess that's possible. It's just weird that EA/Respawn and went through the process of designing the troopers and getting them approved by Disney, but don't get any money when someone else profits from their creation.

I guess that's possible. It's just weird that EA/Respawn and went through the process of designing the troopers and getting them approved by Disney, but don't get any money when someone else profits from their creation.
It’s similar to the Spider-Man PS4 figures. As far as I’m aware the boxes only mention Marvel, not Sony, because Marvel own the merchandising rights for Spider-Man.

EA don’t own the merchandising rights for their Star Wars games, Disney/Lucasfilm do.

Its mutually beneficially. EA and Respawn are profiting from making a game in a universe they didn’t create, after all.

And it’s not just the game studio that designs new characters and vehicles and other assets for the game. LFL has input and ideas as well, and the studio can take from other sources that they’re allowed to.

The Purge Trooper actually first appeared in the Darth Vader comic two years before they appeared in Fallen Order.

Its mutually beneficially. EA and Respawn are profiting from making a game in a universe they didn’t create, after all.

And it’s not just the game studio that designs new characters and vehicles and other assets for the game. LFL has input and ideas as well, and the studio can take from other sources that they’re allowed to.

The Purge Trooper actually first appeared in the Darth Vader comic two years before they appeared in Fallen Order.
The game was good, just story and characters were meh, just like anything else Disney Lucasfilm is churning out these days. I believe they are making a second one.

There is a sequel on the way. Glad it sold well and was positively received to support making of more singleplayer Star Wars games.

My spouse and I personally both loved the story and characters. Got her the Second Sister lightsaber from Korbanth.

But to each their own.

I’m in the minority that didn’t love the game. It was okay, just not great. Hoping the sequel is better.
I hated how much you had to fight wildlife, I want more troopers to cut down (that don’t fire one by one) and actual duels.

Loved some of the character designs though, still holding out for a Second Sister one day.

Exactly.

Star Wars merch was a risk before Mando?

ST merch was a risk.

Not PT or OT. Not at all.

Yes, there was a specific risk with ST merchandise, but there was a point in time where the ST was dragging everything Star Wars down with it to an extent.

Doesn’t mean OT specific items weren’t selling, but it’s important to remember that diehard collectors like us exist in a bubble.

There are collectors who will happily buy collectibles and toys from the OT, PT, TCW, Rebels, games, comics, Legends, etc. to suit their tastes, but there aren’t enough of us to see the kind of profits these companies want to see.

There needs to be something big that’s marketable like a tent-pole film, event, tie-in, anniversary, new TV show, and the like to get the general population excited to mitigate risk and sell as much plastic as possible.

So there was a definite low point between the harsh TFA post honeymoon period and The Mandalorian’s rise to popularity that tarnished (relatively speaking) the marketability of the brand as a whole, especially in the eyes of the companies that made products for the movies that didn’t sell well.

Even though it’s only been a few years, it’s easy to forget how bleak the future of Star Wars as a whole looked before Disney+ and the revival of The Clone Wars, the premier of The Mandalorian, and the announcement of a whole slate of new shows.

Last edited:
This is why I don't understand why anyone's anticipating an Indiana Jones merchandizing revival with the new film. Yeah, maybe some merch for that film specifically but then when the film is poorly received that kills it.:dunno

This is why I don't understand why anyone's anticipating an Indiana Jones merchandizing revival with the new film. Yeah, maybe some merch for that film specifically but then when the film is poorly received that kills it.:dunno
You’re right about that.

Some companies these days seem more comfortable doing the wait and see approach, even if it means missing out on the initial hype.

If the movie turns out better than expected, there could be a mild revival. But I don’t think that would happen out of the gate anymore.

So, with hunter now confirmed, i believe Mando and speeder is the last item displayed during May the 4th event yet to go up for PO. hopefully, we get treated with a few new reveals during the summer.

Back