NEW 1:6 QUEEN ALIEN kit from Sky W.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not the ones I have. Same damn story as the blue alien. They suck. They fall apart or sag. The AVP aliens I have have been repaired numerous times. Plus the brown alien from ALIENS has a broken leg and it came that way from Sideshow. You just sneeze on these things and they snap. It's absolutely ridiculous. Hot Toys should have never put this crap out for the prices they charged. And a Queen will be utterly worse. And it won't even look right after all.

The aliens from "aliens" whichever colour they are terrible. The rest of the aliens, esp those from the AVP series have held up. I have 2 grids, 1 brown and they have been fine, no broken joints or falling apart.

That said, I basically put my aliens in one pose and leave it there. :D

Hey guys. Got home today from work and the post office had left a delivery slip for me. Which could mean only one thing--the ^^^^^ was here! Picked up Sky's Queen kit at the post office and I'm speechless here. This kit is amazing and absolutely massive. Cleanly cast, no seams, no mold shifts, no bubbles and above all, HUGE! And his packing up of this beauty made it so no pieces were broken--he used lots of styrofoam and bubblewrap. For shipping something this huge and heavy from Hong Kong--forgot to mention this thing comes with a massive resin cast base--Sky knocked it out of the park. I will get some pics up either tomorrow or this weekend. Until then, I give this the highest possible recommendation as this sculpt is killer and captures the Queen beautifully!

Hey guys. Got home today from work and the post office had left a delivery slip for me. Which could mean only one thing--the ^^^^^ was here! Picked up Sky's Queen kit at the post office and I'm speechless here. This kit is amazing and absolutely massive. Cleanly cast, no seams, no mold shifts, no bubbles and above all, HUGE! And his packing up of this beauty made it so no pieces were broken--he used lots of styrofoam and bubblewrap. For shipping something this huge and heavy from Hong Kong--forgot to mention this thing comes with a massive resin cast base--Sky knocked it out of the park. I will get some pics up either tomorrow or this weekend. Until then, I give this the highest possible recommendation as this sculpt is killer and captures the Queen beautifully!

Very cool!

Can't wait to see some "in hand" pics of this beast.

Post some with something 1:6 for scale, if you can.

Yep, it's big... and beautiful!

110509a.jpg

I think the real challenge is going to be assembly, not painting. The thing is heavy with an unusual weight distribution: Mr. Winston didn't do us (modelers) any favors with the cool but unique design! The resin is very strong (with embedded wire in thin areas), but I don't trust epoxy or superglue alone for this job. I'm thinking of using bolts or screws for the legs and head, which should also help me figure out the center of balance.

It's not exactly plug 'n play (will require some Dremeling and puttying in some areas), but it's a dream-come-true for the modeler!

Last edited:

110509a.jpg

I think the real challenge is going to be assembly, not painting. The thing is heavy with an unusual weight distribution: Mr. Winston didn't do us (modelers) any favors with the cool but unique design! The resin is very strong (with embedded wire in thin areas), but I don't trust epoxy or superglue alone for this job. I'm thinking of using bolts or screws for the legs and head, which should also help me figure out the center of balance.

It's not exactly plug 'n play (will require some Dremeling and puttying in some areas), but it's a dream-come-true for the modeler!

nice! looking forward to seeing the complete piece!

110509a.jpg

Yeah the biggest problem with this kit will be the assembly. Bolts and screws are probably the way to go. Pinning with brass rod just ain't going to cut for the legs, the big outside arms, the tail and the head. The body I think is hollow and I'm concerned about the hip/torso area being hollow where the legs go. If so, I may have to break out some two part resin and fill it in. Unfortunately, that will make it just heavier. I also like the big resin base Sky sends with the kit. I may not use it though as I really want to try to duplicate the flooring of the Sulaco hangar bay and will probably use a bigger base so I can put the Hot Toys Power Loader on it with the Queen. Aves two part sculpting putty will come in really handy for this kit too as will that dremel and sandpaper. The painting on the Queen will be black overall, brown in some areas, and then blue and grey highlights. This is a superb, superb kit! I cannot recommend it enough.

They did a fantastic casting job, and I was pleasantly surprised that they cleaned up the castings so well-- that's time consuming work that I don't particularly enjoy. I'm glad I got in on this early because the molds are soooo fresh and crisp!

I wondered about the torso too, since it's noticeably lighter. It just feels so solid: If it's hollow it must have really thick walls. I thought they might have used microballoons in the resin, but a drill hole should tell the story. You're right though-- if it's hollow, the hip area will probably need to be filled to support additional hardware. The arms and tail might be okay since they're relatively light.

I've been considering resculpting the clear casting since mine will need some Dremel work to fit. That part would be fairly easy to sculpt and would let me fit a separate inner mouth/tongue and longer teeth. At any rate, it's good to let the ideas percolate for a few days before diving in. (I'm also enjoying admiring the virginal parts, since you only get to see them that way once...)

Oh gosh. I might just pick up this kit. I may not build it now but i may just hoard it for the day that i have the time , space and skill to do so lol

They did a fantastic casting job, and I was pleasantly surprised that they cleaned up the castings so well-- that's time consuming work that I don't particularly enjoy. I'm glad I got in on this early because the molds are soooo fresh and crisp!

I wondered about the torso too, since it's noticeably lighter. It just feels so solid: If it's hollow it must have really thick walls. I thought they might have used microballoons in the resin, but a drill hole should tell the story. You're right though-- if it's hollow, the hip area will probably need to be filled to support additional hardware. The arms and tail might be okay since they're relatively light.

I've been considering resculpting the clear casting since mine will need some Dremel work to fit. That part would be fairly easy to sculpt and would let me fit a separate inner mouth/tongue and longer teeth. At any rate, it's good to let the ideas percolate for a few days before diving in. (I'm also enjoying admiring the virginal parts, since you only get to see them that way once...)

Hold the body up to light and you will see the torso and for most part, the rest of the body is hollow. Mine looks to be hollow around the torso and upper chest right where the big arms go. No biggie. Just going to have to fill that with resin. I have a 1/3 scale Predator 2 kit from England (sold by Comet Miniatures out of London) that uses practically the same resin and has hollow parts that will have to be filled. Sky and his crew did an amazing job on this. And I agree. It's awesome to get a kit this cleanly cast from molds that are brand spanking new!

Man, you are sooooo smart!!! Yes, you're right. In fact, I noticed that one of the sockets for a spike actually does have a tiny hole through to the interior, so that's where I'll pour my resin. (It's a couple months old but it appears to be okay, and this is a good way to use it before it goes bad.) That will be a lot easier than cutting the torso in half and packing it with epoxy putty. Thanks for the heads-up!

----

(later...) I poured about a Dixie cup's worth of resin down there and it filled to just about where the chest armor starts. With this much resin all in one place, a lot of heat is released, so the resin kicks very quickly. I had some blobs of putty standing by to plug any tiny holes that I might have missed, and had to use one in the area between the last two vertebrae (where the parting line had been cleaned up).

I think it will help with the balance, since filling the lower half moves the center of gravity a bit lower and towards the legs. I'm reluctant to fill the whole thing since the chest cavity has much more volume and would have a more pronounced (and bad) effect on the CG. I was hoping to reposition the tail downwards to act as the third leg so she wouldn't need an external support rod, or to be anchored to that huge paving stone!

Last edited:
I've been slowly assembling my AQ kit, and I'm documenting the build in a series of articles here: https://jbwid.com/art75a.htm

I'm not building it according to "the plan", but page 3 shows a size comparison with the HT Powerloader. (IMO, Queenie shoulda whupped Ripley, but that wouldn't have worked out story-wise, LOL.)

I've been slowly assembling my AQ kit, and I'm documenting the build in a series of articles here: https://jbwid.com/art75a.htm

I'm not building it according to "the plan", but page 3 shows a size comparison with the HT Powerloader. (IMO, Queenie shoulda whupped Ripley, but that wouldn't have worked out story-wise, LOL.)

I'm so blown away by this, pookie. Amazing stuff. :clap

Love this Comp. :D

aqvr.jpg

Is there this kit still offer ? I try to contract to NIGHTMARE COLLECTIBLES but still quiet !! please let me know where to contract to?
thanks

Back