NECA: The Thing

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Between this and the 1/6 Mondo figure coming out, I'd say we've been pretty lucky as fans considering the last "figure" we got was literally 21 years ago this month. Doesn't have the best headsculpt and I'm bummed Neca is making me buy two figures, but I got new Thing merch. Either way I'm stoked.
They aren't really making us purchase a double figure. It's all about perspective. I will play devil's advocate a sec. Suppose they said "We couldn't fit everything into our initial release, so we are offering this cool, exclusive accessory pack available only via the website for $24.99 plus $8 for priority shipping. California taxes 0f 10% apply". I guarantee you there would be people who would be annoyed they didn't get the whole figure for that price, and demand a new box. Then ask why it was a website exclusive.

Bottom line: I have discovered there are far too many people on Neca's FB page who just aren't happy with.... anything. Some of that comes here too as I am sure you have spotted. You're right about us being fortunate that NECA are like us, and are primarily collectors making items that they are "into". Fans fans if you will.

I personally am pleased they are giving us a whole figure, with a better graphics box. I have the US Outpost 31 opened, and I will leave this new one with flame thrower sealed up. Defeats the idea of buying doubles to leave one MIB. Whcih I never cared about before the whole Ultimates packaging. I always opened everything and pitched the bubbles,lol.

Neca has to pay for the licenses. That gets passed on to us unfortunately. These figures are as cheap as a nice date out to dinner...alone, (or going "dutch") lol. So it's honestly not a deal breaker. If someone is so broke that $35 is gonna send them to the poor house or debtor's prison, they honestly don't need to buy toys, and need to focus on essentials. The only things I have ever discovered with Neca that made me go "oh no" were when they had peg issues, and the switching of the hanger pegs from durable clear plastic to paper. This switch makes it nearly impossible to get an undamaged box. Because the paper tags are always bent to some degree in shipping.

They aren't really making us purchase a double figure. It's all about perspective. I will play devil's advocate a sec. Suppose they said "We couldn't fit everything into our initial release, so we are offering this cool, exclusive accessory pack available only via the website for $24.99 plus $8 for priority shipping. California taxes 0f 10% apply". I guarantee you there would be people who would be annoyed they didn't get the whole figure for that price, and demand a new box. Then ask why it was a website exclusive.

Bottom line: I have discovered there are far too many people on Neca's FB page who just aren't happy with.... anything. Some of that comes here too as I am sure you have spotted. You're right about us being fortunate that NECA are like us, and are primarily collectors making items that they are "into". Fans fans if you will.

I personally am pleased they are giving us a whole figure, with a better graphics box. I have the US Outpost 31 opened, and I will leave this new one with flame thrower sealed up. Defeats the idea of buying doubles to leave one MIB. Whcih I never cared about before the whole Ultimates packaging. I always opened everything and pitched the bubbles,lol.

Neca has to pay for the licenses. That gets passed on to us unfortunately. These figures are as cheap as a nice date out to dinner...alone, (or going "dutch") lol. So it's honestly not a deal breaker. If someone is so broke that $35 is gonna send them to the poor house or debtor's prison, they honestly don't need to buy toys, and need to focus on essentials. The only things I have ever discovered with Neca that made me go "oh no" were when they had peg issues, and the switching of the hanger pegs from durable clear plastic to paper. This switch makes it nearly impossible to get an undamaged box. Because the paper tags are always bent to some degree in shipping.
I suppose I know why they made that switch - because gravity was eventually defeating the tape (or whatever adhesive) that was holding the clear plastic to the box making it drop off the pegs. It's happened at home. But yeah, more often than not now the Ultimate boxes are arriving damaged, even when I order collector grade from BBTS.

I wish they'd get rid of the hanger on the box too. Really unnecessary, do even LCS hang up NECA figures on pegs? Target just lays them on the shelf. They're their biggest retailer, just go with that. The couple times I've sold a NECA figure I sit there and put a little piece of styrofoam around the stupid tag lol

Got the second MacReady delivered today from Walmart. I think I like this version even more. The flamethrower and squirting blood are such memorable scenes so it’s great to have those captured in this figure. I really love the blood reaction piece. Such a unique accessory.

An old friend surprised me today with this MacCready for taking care of his cat while he was vacationing. He even picked out a super clean minty box. So this one I will leave boxed, and have the first one on display.

Got my 2 Macready (Outpost 31) figures today - one to open, one to keep in box. Creased J-hook or torn J-hook, those are the options for box condition. Turns out the torn J-hook box was in better condition overall. It's a shame this is the way it is though. I love the boxes for NECA's Ultimate figures and it's almost impossible to get them truly mint now.

Well, anyway, the figure itself does not disappoint. Whatever one might say about the likeness to Kurt Russell the general sculpting and proportions are just so realistic I truly feel like it's a human being hit with a shrink-ray. It's a beautiful figure and I'm torn on how to display it with as many great options as there are. Right now I've got him with one of the hooded heads, the sunnies and wearing the hat. I wish I had access to the film right now to check on accuracy and to see how to accessorize him for what scenes. I definitely want to display one of the 2 Mac figures (Station Survival being the other) without hood & hat to show off that full mane of hair.

Personally I think the likeness is passable. It wouldn't necessarily give instant recognition without already knowing what movie the figure is from but it's close enough for me. NECA planned it well in giving 3 different expressions that they've been able to interchange effectively across the 2 Macready releases due to the hood and the hair being separately sculpted pieces. Thus I see that the Station Survival Mac has the haired sculpt with the sort of grimace face while the hooded head there has the neutral expression. Very clever.

Painting is good, the parts seem to switch out easy, and both his legs are the same length thank god - he can stand up straight and solid. Excellent figure, look forward to the rest of the line.

I am very excited to see an accurate in scale to MacReady figure of Blair.

That creature design...Rob Bottin is a genius.

It wouldn't surprise me. It's either an employee or there's a scalper that knows when to show up.

I'm 99% sure that Mac never made it to the shelf, the endcaps where he should be are stuffed with garbage nobody buys.

FCvpvG3XIAYB4TO

I really do think the employees buy/resell them…
It wouldn't surprise me. It's either an employee or there's a scalper that knows when to show up.

I'm 99% sure that Mac never made it to the shelf, the endcaps where he should be are stuffed with garbage nobody buys.

Nobody's scalping these, they're still available on many sites. If you see what they're selling for on ebay, you would be just breaking even after shipping and ebay fees were taken out.

Would be nice if this figure, colour Frankenstein came to Canada!! I saw someone post ASH from Alien it was $11 on clearance. I was pissed because us Canadians never had a opportunity to purchase here and it’s on clearance in the US!!

Would be nice if this figure, colour Frankenstein came to Canada!! I saw someone post ASH from Alien it was $11 on clearance. I was pissed because us Canadians never had a opportunity to purchase here and it’s on clearance in the US!!
There's tons of jobs here right now, just move to the midwest USA, and voila...all the NECA products you can shake a stick at. Just kidding. I guess it is a drag being a collector, and not being able to get the products.

Back