NECA: The Thing

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why are these called "Ultimate" when there is a version two?

They've been using the "Ultimate" term for years now and it doesn't mean what is used to. They add specific **** so it doesn't mean anything. Nobody wants an "Ultimate" audition version of Marty McFly but it is what it is.

They've been using the "Ultimate" term for years now and it doesn't mean what is used to. They add specific **** so it doesn't mean anything. Nobody wants an "Ultimate" audition version of Marty McFly but it is what it is.
I always thought it was because they were actually able to be posed. IE, they have articulation. Early NECA basically used to be statues. A perfect example of a character being "ultimized" from standard to upgrade would be Jason from Friday the 13th Part 2. The first one is very static. The Ultimate is very posable. Everything else is the same except the inclusion of a campfire,lol. Ultimate (to me anyway) describes this feature more than anything else.

To expect a NECA Ultimate to include anything and everything for a character from a film is doable in some cases (Annabelle maybe since all she does is sit in a case,lol) but to expect it with any and all characters is is a ticket to disappointment land. Dutch from the first Predator is a perfect example of needing more than one figure from a film. So is Ripley.

As inflation continues to rise, and licensing IPs continue to go up, I guess you can expect more "Ultimate Ultimates" in your future then. Purchase selectively. Slow and steady builds the collection.

I always thought it was because they were actually able to be posed. IE, they have articulation. Early NECA basically used to be statues. A perfect example of a character being "ultimized" from standard to upgrade would be Jason from Friday the 13th Part 2. The first one is very static. The Ultimate is very posable. Everything else is the same except the inclusion of a campfire,lol. Ultimate (to me anyway) describes this feature more than anything else.

To expect a NECA Ultimate to include anything and everything for a character from a film is doable in some cases (Annabelle maybe since all she does is sit in a case,lol) but to expect it with any and all characters is is a ticket to disappointment land. Dutch from the first Predator is a perfect example of needing more than one figure from a film. So is Ripley.

It started I think with some Terminator and Pacific Rim figures where they really did include a bunch of accessories from older releases for an Ultimate. A couple years ago with It they did like 4 Ultimates for the first movie and that's when I think it changed to scene specific ones, like Ultimate Well House Pennywise.

Awesome, preordered!

I am not going to begrudge a company for trying to make money from a license. I realize it would be super cool if no company ever re-used parts, and we got every single expression and scene specific representation of a character with a single purchase....but it's not likely to happen. Believe it or not, people complain about that when they try. Their Friday the 13th part 3 is a perfect example. They tried to do a paint scheme where it would match the figure as a whole, and people complained. Because of the blood on the neck and shirt. Bottom line: if people are going to complain about a product, no matter what, why not make as much money as you can along the way and make a product you know the vast majority will enjoy? That's my take on it. I like what NECA is doing. I think their Frankenstein is the best figure ever made in this scale for the character, and I have been collecting this stuff for decades.

I just noticed that Mac Cready second edition has a "Blood thing" attachment for the petri dish of Palmer's blood and the wire spool with stripped copper bit to heat the blood/act as a needle. These are details I think are awesome, and although I bought the first one....I am getting this one as well. The eventual kennel MacCready release (possibly with a mutant dog), and the "final battle Mac" (with snow effects) that I am sure they eventually release will be mine as well. I love the Thing. I will probably just buy everything.

I'll be buying this version as well, I love that we'll have so many accessories and props from the film.

The only thing that bugs me about this release is the jacket. If this is meant to be a "blood test" Macready, then his jacket should be unzipped and have dynamite taped onto the pockets. I know it's a nitpick, but usually Neca goes to the trouble of adding details like that to keep each variant of a character fresh.

I am glad to see they swapped the faces around. The worried sculpt is my favorite of the ones we have so far. Also nice to see new hands for the blood test, and the petri dish with a removable blood monster. The accessories do look really good. Another plus is that the flamethrower is removable and not glued to his back.

I'll be buying this version as well, I love that we'll have so many accessories and props from the film.

The only thing that bugs me about this release is the jacket. If this is meant to be a "blood test" Macready, then his jacket should be unzipped and have dynamite taped onto the pockets. I know it's a nitpick, but usually Neca goes to the trouble of adding details like that to keep each variant of a character fresh.

I am glad to see they swapped the faces around. The worried sculpt is my favorite of the ones we have so far. Also nice to see new hands for the blood test, and the petri dish with a removable blood monster. The accessories do look really good. Another plus is that the flamethrower is removable and not glued to his back.
Maybe they'll do another edition, two pack with mutating Palmer, with a slightly unzipped jacket and the dynamite (you've got good eyes btw, I never noticed). We can all have 100 MacCready variants,lol.

I think the likeness is better in the flamethrower version
MacReady.JPG

Although The Thing is one of my favourite films I still can't quite buy into these with the head sculpt looking so off model to me.....well that and the fact that I'm in the UK and no one is selling these anywhere over here lol!

That open mouth face is the best likeness IMO in the first set. So I'm glad to get it with the hair now too.

Back