NECA: The Thing

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waiting for that Norris Thing playset table with chest teeth, stretch neck, removable" bit off" forearms action, and full on spiderhead

Where does Randy even post these days, if anywhere. Their twitter is as good as dead. I refuse to join any other social media platforms beyond what I already have. It's tiresome.

But yeah NECA have really dropped off a cliff the past year or two from where they used to rank in my collecting. And I didn't go off them. They've just (seemingly) ditched all the licenses I was still enthusiastically collecting....apart from Robocop - though I won't now be surprised if the Alex Murphy figure is the last figure in that line.

Where does Randy even post these days, if anywhere. Their twitter is as good as dead. I refuse to join any other social media platforms beyond what I already have. It's tiresome.

But yeah NECA have really dropped off a cliff the past year or two from where they used to rank in my collecting. And I didn't go off them. They've just (seemingly) ditched all the licenses I was still enthusiastically collecting....apart from Robocop - though I won't now be surprised if the Alex Murphy figure is the last figure in that line.

Yeah, NECA has been pretty quiet lately. Not sure what shows are coming up to show off new product. Nothing much has been said on other socials, as usually new reveals or rumored toys get passed around pretty quickly

Of the small scales, I'm only getting the new Walking Dead figures from Diamond Select, and some of the Hiya Star Trek figures. The likenesses are great for the scale.

I did get McFarlane's Feyd from Dune 2 recently and it's an amazing likeness for the scale. Hope InArt make him too, though they still haven't gotten bloody Paul up yet so who knows.

I've yet to pick up the dog-thing or the latest MacReady mainly because they've yet to hit my local Target store (and maybe they won't). I was hoping we'd see more, like Palmer-thing or Childs instead of four versions of the same character. As time goes on I'd rather save the money or move on, this stuff takes way too long to come out.

I am on the fence with the Dog Alien. As an adult collector for 30 year+ I feel I should own it, however I may keep in the box. Not a fan of the large footprint it demands on y shelf and in truth it does look like an overall mess. Seriously what is the “THING”?? I own the SOTA version and it looks perfect on my shelf.

Also since my local stores have not received I am not 100% sure the price. If regular “Ultimates” are $70 Canadian I can imagine this may be $100? Lately I just can’t bring myself to pay $60-70 + 12% tax on Neca figures. I think I only purchased 2 last year. So am I prepared to pay $100 bucks just to keep it in the box? It’s up to myself to decide.

I am on the fence with the Dog Alien. As an adult collector for 30 year+ I feel I should own it, however I may keep in the box. Not a fan of the large footprint it demands on y shelf and in truth it does look like an overall mess. Seriously what is the “THING”?? I own the SOTA version and it looks perfect on my shelf.

Also since my local stores have not received I am not 100% sure the price. If regular “Ultimates” are $70 Canadian I can imagine this may be $100? Lately I just can’t bring myself to pay $60-70 + 12% tax on Neca figures. I think I only purchased 2 last year. So am I prepared to pay $100 bucks just to keep it in the box? It’s up to myself to decide.
The tentacles do give it a larger horizontal footprint in all directions and yet the figure doesn't occupy much of the vertical space of a shelf which feels wasteful. Using the box lying on its back as a ''riser'' is an option.

Don't buy the Neca The Thing Dog. It is a piece of absolute garbage. I was so looking forward to this. Putting it together even with youtube vidoes is a complete nightmare. The dog spider legs simply do not fit. Even with hot water. Managed to get five in but the last one not going in. You get it in and knock another one out. Last Neca product I buy. Their stuff has down down the sewer big time.

The assembly is frustrating but it's not a write-off by any means. Yes, I couldn't get all the tentacles to fit either but you can just make it look like they're coming out of the creature, it still looks great on display.

The thing is I have no interest in the extraterrestrial and its metamorphosis, I suppose neither did the characters other than to kill it yet I have acquired a number of pieces relating to John Carpenters The Thing.

Presently working on the base for Neca RJ MacReady The Last Stand figure.

Attachments

• 20240310_144105.jpg
    20240310_144105.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Back