NECA RoboCop 35th anniversary figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it's been a few weeks since they announced the re-hashed figures, and I put in a pre-order almost out of instinct. But now I'm almost certain I'm gonna cancel them.

Most importantly, I just don't care for the NECA RoboCop figure anymore. It's so outdated and is improved upon in every possible way by the MAFEX.

I wanted that damn Murphy head sooooo bad, but they blew it. They waited about a decade too long, and let's all be brutally honest: the head looks bad.

The battle damage still looks cheap, lazy, and not particularly movie accurate. That overpriced plastic chair looks like it's gonna snap in about 7 places if you so much as breathe on it. And the final insult is the new "muzzle flash" which looks absolutely ridiculous.
I'll keep my orders but you're not wrong about what you say here. The little Mafex figures are much better. NECA really should have remade this from the ground up. Seeing the same base figure yet again was underwhelming to say the least.

I'm mainly interested in the chair and the Ultimate Packaging of all things.

Im not the best at taking pics but I try. Theres a little bit of dust on the NECA ED. Didnt see it until I shrunk the pics down. Let me know if you want a different angle or anything. Gives me something to do since Im off until January.
Thanks for these shots, they just convinced me that I need this. :hi5:

I didn't buy any NECA for years, since my preferred scale is 1/6. The previous ED-209 releases were on my radar, but I never really paid much attention on to it. Since the TMNT movie turtles I've been buying a handful of 7 inchers again, essentially buying characters I really like, but don't want taking up the real estate of 1/6 nor pay the price that goes with it.

I wonder when the cut off date is for BBTS to cancel order.

I've been agonizing over it, and that chair is gonna be oversized, and it looks like the cheapest, brittlest plastic that won't even hold the weight of the figure. Looks designed to snap apart at every angle.

Mafex will be way undersized. I think I don't want it.

Battle Damaged Robo/Murphy looks like ****, in a bad way. Minimal, inaccurate sculpted damage and just brown mud smeared all over. Reallllly think I'll cancel this.

Now "clean" Murphy, despite it's horrible flaws, I might get. The Weller head is too big for Mafex but damn it...I always wanted one. Same with the COBRA rifle.....it's too big but it could be all we ever get, so it's better than nothing.

At this point I'd say the chair version is a 95% goner from my pre-order list but the other one with Murphy head and cannon is still about 60% a "go".

Last edited:
Looks better than I was expected. The clean one, that is. Has a bit of purple sheen in the paint that I don't remember ever seeing on a NECA version of Robo.

Even the Weller head looks all right. If I get one, it'll certainly be the clean version with the Cobra cannon and that awesome box with the poster art.

Battle damaged looks as bad as it ever did over a decade ago. Just looks like he rolled in poop, not like he looked in the movie at all. The seat looks better than I was expecting, but almost seems oversized. Perhaps it would be JUST RIGHT for my beloved MAFEX Robo to sit in.

I'm gonna have to get both of these, aren't I? Ugh. Collecting is a sickness.

The chair is what I want most from these two sets. It will help fill out my RoboCop shelf, which looks a little empty compared to my Alien, Predator, and Terminator shelves.

Kinda wish they reworked that Peter Weller head but I think this looks really cool.
It's not great is it. Serviceable is all.

But between these and the HIYA Toys 1/12 I honestly hope this is it for Robocop. We don't need any more unless they find a way to mass-produce Dark Spidey calibre paintjobs or give us Clarence Boddicker and his gang, Alex Murphy, Anne Lewis and Cain from Robocop 2. I assume none of that is going to happen so enough. Robocop is done.

It's not great is it. Serviceable is all.

But between these and the HIYA Toys 1/12 I honestly hope this is it for Robocop. We don't need any more unless they find a way to mass-produce Dark Spidey calibre paintjobs or give us Clarence Boddicker and his gang, Alex Murphy, Anne Lewis and Cain from Robocop 2. I assume none of that is going to happen so enough. Robocop is done.

I would like to see Mezco's take on Robocop. It could have a better Weller likeness, overall paint, and more accessories.

Isn't it amazing how life always works out for the worst? I lived in Japan for over a decade, and they consistently got American toys 3-6 months after the US and at a huge mark-up.

I'm gone for just a few weeks and now they're getting Star Wars Black Series and NECA stuff before anyone.

It's just me. I'm the one that's cursed.

Anyway, here's some pics from Japanese twitter comparing the Hagane Works Robo to the new NECA damaged version.

In these ultra close ups, it really makes that Hagane look like a piece of crap. Terrible paint, or lack of paint, on that toy. I know it has "die cast parts!!!!" but what's the point if it looks like a lifeless piece of plastic?

I'm not saying the NECA is a work of art or anything, but at least they're finally TRYING. They even remembered to clip one of Robo's shouder rings off for movie accuracy. And the battle damage looks a lot less like "poop" than their original version.

FXjBQ5uUsAAbdhJ.jpg
FXjBQ5vUsAEFwe7.jpg
FXjBQ5tUYAEeIWb.jpg

Now that MAFEX has flexed and shown off their OWN version of Battle Damaged RoboCop with Murphy head and COBRA rifle, the only exclusive part out of the two NEXA releases is the chair.

Yes, the packaging is nice, but I rarely save packaging. Almost all of it ends up in the trash.

I feel bad for NECA now, but I guess if you snooze, you lose. If they'd have released the Peter Weller version back when their "spring-loaded holster" version was the hottest 6-7 inch scale Robo, I'd have been as happy as a pig in ****. But I'm afraid it's just too late. I'm gonna hold out for the MAFEX. I know I've been overhyping that figure since it came out but it's truly like a mini-Hot Toys.

Guess I'll keep my eye on retailers and ebay and see if the chair ever pops up for sale or the set ever goes on clearance.

I'm sorry NECA......it's not you. It's me. Really. I'll uh.....I'll see you around sometime, OK?

Some guy reported this news from Power Con over the weekend:

Someone asked about Cain in the Robocop line. They are looking into possibly finally doing it due to fan request! Focused on first movie right now for the anniversary, with one more item to come out. Then due to success of Ed-209, possibly looking into Cain!!

Dare we dream?

I don't even display my NECAs anymore, but I guess I'll have to get this just so I can Robocop vs Terminator it..

Some guy reported this news from Power Con over the weekend:

Someone asked about Cain in the Robocop line. They are looking into possibly finally doing it due to fan request! Focused on first movie right now for the anniversary, with one more item to come out. Then due to success of Ed-209, possibly looking into Cain!!

Dare we dream?
I feel that leaves open the possibility that they won't end up doing it. I mean didn't Hot Toys look into it aswell but they obviously decided it wasn't a popular enough character to be worth the tooling and engineering investment. NECA might come to the same conclusion....unless they've already decided to do it and this is just their way of starting the hype campaign.

Just found the non chair version and got him at target this morning..should I post pics;)

Back