NECA RoboCop 35th anniversary figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's something really gross about Neca releasing old sculpts as 'ultimates' for like twice the price years later.

There's something really gross about Neca releasing old sculpts as 'ultimates' for like twice the price years later.
I know what you mean but what are they going to do, release them for them for the same price with more accessories? MSRPs go up and that's just the fact. The head and chair are new molds, so there's that at least.

Happy to finally see Robocop unmasked with a Murphy Weller head. It’s about damn time.

The final results are kind of ugly though. Their talented sculptors can do better than that, we’ve seen it. At the moment, it looks kind of garish.

ED-209 reissue is up for order.

BBTS - RoboCop ED-209 10" Figure With Sound

Entertainment Earth - RoboCop ED-209 Deluxe Action Figure with Sound

247c7600-1cfc-433f-9126-01d0c6c7f58f.jpg

For those of you who own both the NECA and Hiya Toys ED-209, what's your take on them?
I got the Hiya Toys recently, and I'm wondering if I should pre-order the NECA as well.

I really like the paint and realism of the Hiya Toys. The downsides for me however are the small scale and lack of finer details, like the guns, lack of wires etc.
The NECA would have a much better visual impact on display, and would be in scale with the other 7 inchers I intend to display it with on a shelf. Some of the reviews of past releases make the paint and mould lines look rather toy-ish though, so I'm wondering what your impression in hand is.
I don't have or want Robocop to pair him up with, so that's of no concern to me.

Last edited:
I have both. They both seem to have the same mould lines in the same places, they're just upscaled a bit with the NECA. I can't say I'd ever paid much attention to them myself. I suppose I just forgive them in a machine design such as this. As for paint, I've no real complaints. Mainly I'm just happy to have it in the 7 incher scale. You get a fuller range of his voice & sound effects with the NECA aswell which I do use every time I look at it.

I have both. They both seem to have the same mould lines in the same places, they're just upscaled a bit with the NECA. I can't say I'd ever paid much attention to them myself. I suppose I just forgive them in a machine design such as this. As for paint, I've no real complaints. Mainly I'm just happy to have it in the 7 incher scale. You get a fuller range of his voice & sound effects with the NECA aswell which I do use every time I look at it.
Thanks. How would you compare the paint between the two, is the NECA much different or actually rather similar?
The size is the main reason I want the NECA as well. He's such an imposing character that the small scale of the Hiya doesn't do justice to unfortunately, despite how cool he looks.
I got back into collecting some 7 inchers, so this would fit right in.

Sorry for the late response - the differences seem to be a kind of glossiness to the NECA, and perhaps slightly more on the blue side. There's no wear & tear marks on the NECA although it approximates the red printed warning signs (not readable) whereas those parts are left black on the HIYA toys release.

Personally I wouldn't really describe either one as being much better than the other in regard to paint though if one of the above differences made you lean one way or the other I suppose I could see it being the glossy NECA VS more matte look of HIYA.

Im not the best at taking pics but I try. Theres a little bit of dust on the NECA ED. Didnt see it until I shrunk the pics down. Let me know if you want a different angle or anything. Gives me something to do since Im off until January.

Attachments

• IMG_1921.jpg
    IMG_1921.jpg
    563.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1922.jpg
    IMG_1922.jpg
    507.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1923.jpg
    IMG_1923.jpg
    487.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1926.jpg
    IMG_1926.jpg
    532.5 KB · Views: 50
I love the NECA ED-209. It's a shame they're charging so much for it now, but that's just the industry in general I suppose. I wanted a movie accurate ED in that size for so long. I honestly never thought it would happen. When it finally came out, I was initially a little put off by the brittle plastic NECA uses, but I was still thrilled cause it just looks perfect on the shelf.

As for RoboCop though....

Well, it's been a few weeks since they announced the re-hashed figures, and I put in a pre-order almost out of instinct. But now I'm almost certain I'm gonna cancel them.

Most importantly, I just don't care for the NECA RoboCop figure anymore. It's so outdated and is improved upon in every possible way by the MAFEX.

I wanted that damn Murphy head sooooo bad, but they blew it. They waited about a decade too long, and let's all be brutally honest: the head looks bad.

The battle damage still looks cheap, lazy, and not particularly movie accurate. That overpriced plastic chair looks like it's gonna snap in about 7 places if you so much as breathe on it. And the final insult is the new "muzzle flash" which looks absolutely ridiculous.

Just buying those two figures will cost well over $100, and that's BEFORE shipping to Japan.

I have to exercise some common sense for once in my life and "Just say no."

Back