Neca has universal monsters!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://news.toyark.com/2021/04/19/neca-officially-announces-universal-monsters-license-424501

NECA officially announcing the license and that they're working with Bela Legosi and Lon Chaney Jr's estates.

"Subsequent figures set for 2021 will include Lon Chaney Jr. as the Wolf Man from The Wolf Man (1941), Boris Karloff as the titular figure in The Mummy (1932), and Bela Lugosi as the legendary Count in Dracula (1931)."

Nice, also there's a color Frankie on the way too. I'm guessing all four will get the color treatment.

Nice but I see zero likeness of Boris Karloff. Looks very generic. I don't think much collectors remember how he looks.

087f2f392698d0a700615fc0092ef636.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 3.26.24 PM.jpg

I think he looks great, the way the wrists look would be my only nitpick. Bring on more monsters.

You are extremely hard to please.:lol:lol:monkey3

Are any of these action figures more to your liking....cause this is all we've gotten so far in this scale. I think it looks great.:1-1:

View attachment 514311

View attachment 514312

View attachment 514310

View attachment 514309

View attachment 514308

The sideshow version has somewhat of a likeness to Karloff (I own them). There is zero likeness in Neca's (not feeling it). Might wait for "The Bride" version. Very curious if The Mummy or Wolfman come out looking generic too!!

It's a great figure the secondary headsculpts are great but will remain in box. I still don't see Karloff in main sculpt. re
I found one at Wal mart. I opened it right away. The "main" sculpt I will be utilizing is the growling face. I have been collecting this stuff since I was a little kid. I am 51. I am going to go on record as saying this is line I always wanted as a kid. Sideshow came the closest and held the crown for years. I prefer this figure....and that's saying a lot. This line has the potential to be the best line for Universal Monsters figures in all my years of collecting. On another note: The way you feel about Karloff never having been captured(even here, though I disagree) is how I feel about the Wolfman. I feel figures always drop the ball with this character. I hope they give us a truly "ultimate" Wolfman. This line will receive many of my dollars,lol. I hope you get one, and it knocks your socks off, live and in person.

Last edited:
I can't help but feel a tiny bit disappointed - this figure is so close to being really special but just falls short for me in a few key areas.
Firstly - its too small, I would have infinitely preferred this figure in either 1/6 or 1/4 scale.
Secondly - the sculpted clothes and the super visible joints - they're just ugly to my eyes. The clothes are so simple I have no idea why Neca doesn't just make them out of cloth - which would also have the great benefit of covering most of those large unsightly joints.
I do think the heads look like Karloff, maybe not a startlingly striking likeness, but again I do think that is something they could have addressed with a larger scale and more room for more detail.

I can't help but feel a tiny bit disappointed - this figure is so close to being really special but just falls short for me in a few key areas.
Firstly - its too small, I would have infinitely preferred this figure in either 1/6 or 1/4 scale.
Secondly - the sculpted clothes and the super visible joints - they're just ugly to my eyes. The clothes are so simple I have no idea why Neca doesn't just make them out of cloth - which would also have the great benefit of covering most of those large unsightly joints.
I do think the heads look like Karloff, maybe not a startlingly striking likeness, but again I do think that is something they could have addressed with a larger scale and more room for more detail.
Well, there is always the possibility that (providing this Ultimate line sells) that we will see larger versions/retro cloth versions. Similar to their Conjuring universe entries. I would love to see this much care and attention given to a retro cloth line, and run it simultaneously with the Ultimate line. As for visible joints...I know a lot of folks hate that, but these are really just one step above action figures. For the price, these are totally awesome.

Back