NECA Back to the Future

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.entertainmentearth.com/...-reaction-3-34inch-retro-action-figure/fu3917
I don't think they could say it features his likeness unless he signed off on it. Regardless, if he doesn't want to do it then fair enough
Randy from Neca has mentioned it before on twitter, that Funko pops and Reaction don't require likeness rights, and that is how they can do so many figures that others can't. Neca's own Toony Terrors line they can do Beetlejuice, but they can't do an ultimate without Michael Keaton's likeness rights.

Randy from Neca has mentioned it before on twitter, that Funko pops and Reaction don't require likeness rights, and that is how they can do so many figures that others can't. Neca's own Toony Terrors line they can do Beetlejuice, but they can't do an ultimate without Michael Keaton's likeness rights.
I was always under the impression they needed to. Most famously they canceled a Tom Cruise pop from the Mummy because he never signed off on his likeness.

IDK if it’s lack of characters or something else..but this line has pretty much become shelve warmers at my Targets

I guess maybe Targets over ordered stock or people just lost interest..anyone else notice this in their NECA sections

NECA said on Twitter no female figures are in the works for the line, though I suppose that could change. I would most like to see Clara when they get around to the Part III figures.

Yeah, so much for what I thought was a strong hint to the contrary awhile back
There was a hint on the twitter page that Jennifer could be made. Someone posed a question in the form of a GIF of Jennifer (Shue version) asking ''how about a ride'' and Randy's response was ''I couldn't say no to her, could you?''
^^^

I was always under the impression they needed to. Most famously they canceled a Tom Cruise pop from the Mummy because he never signed off on his likeness.

I remember that Tom Cruise Pop getting canceled, I honestly can't offer any info as to why that would be a different situation as that would just be speculation on my part.

Yeah, so much for what I thought was a strong hint to the contrary awhile back

^^^

That was disappointing to see. They mentioned more characters, but no females, who else realistically could they do that would sell well enough?

IDK if it’s lack of characters or something else..but this line has pretty much become shelve warmers at my Targets

I guess maybe Targets over ordered stock or people just lost interest..anyone else notice this in their NECA sections
I feel like a lot of the problem is that there are so many variants of the one character (Marty).

I remember that Tom Cruise Pop getting canceled, I honestly can't offer any info as to why that would be a different situation as that would just be speculation on my part.

That was disappointing to see. They mentioned more characters, but no females, who else realistically could they do that would sell well enough?
There's no other male characters to do that I can think of. I mean would they really make, say, Mr Strickland or Biff's cronies ahead of Jennifer or Lorraine?

Unless Randy misunderstood the question....or we're misunderstanding his answer (regarding female characters)

There's no other male characters to do that I can think of. I mean would they really make, say, Mr Strickland or Biff's cronies ahead of Jennifer or Lorraine?

Unless Randy misunderstood the question....or we're misunderstanding his answer (regarding female characters)
That could be. Hope to be wrong, but I can't imagine will get anyone else besides more Marty, Doc, and Biff.

My dream list for the remainder of the line:

BTTF:
Doc (Radiation Suit with Einstein)

BTTF II:
Biff (Old Man)
Biff (Alternate 1985)
Doc (Train Shirt)
Marty (Leather Jacket, Hat, and Sunglasses)

BTTF III:
Marty (1955 Western Outfit)
Marty (1885 Clint Eastwood Outfit)
Doc (1885 Western Outfit)
Buford Tannen

If NECA wants to milk this line I think a lot of those are viable options.

Not to mention neither of them resemble Fox well compared to the Doc versions and Biff
Well and two versions are super close to being the same figure (the normal 1985 figure and the Battle of the Bands variant).

It was a little silly of NECA to do the Battle of the Bands version, but I get it that they wanted to make the most of that mold.

My dream list for the remainder of the line:

BTTF:
Doc (Radiation Suit with Einstein)

BTTF II:
Biff (Old Man)
Biff (Alternate 1985)
Doc (Train Shirt)
Marty (Leather Jacket, Hat, and Sunglasses)

BTTF III:
Marty (1955 Western Outfit)
Marty (1885 Clint Eastwood Outfit)
Doc (1885 Western Outfit)
Buford Tannen

If NECA wants to milk this line I think a lot of those are viable options.
Yeah those are good representative looks of each movie. I'd add Marty in his Enchantment Under the Sea outfit for BTTF pt1. It'd also be cool to get a Doc with that head contraption he wears when Marty first finds him in 1955.

As far as other characters it would be great to get Jennifer. Ideally we'd also get George and Lorraine but with Glover (as expected) not participating it kinda rules them out. I mean maybe they could still make Lorraine but it'd really draw attention to the absence of George - sorta like having Kyle Reese for the T1 line but no Sarah Connor.

Last edited:
Yeah those are good representative looks of each movie. I'd add Marty in his Enchantment Under the Sea outfit for BTTF pt1. It'd also be cool to get a Doc with that head contraption he wears when Marty first finds him in 1955.

As far as other characters it would be great to get Jennifer. Ideally we'd also get George and Lorraine but with Glover (as expected) not participating it kinda rules them out. I mean maybe they could still make Lorraine but it'd really draw attention to the absence of George - sorta like having Kyle Reese for the T1 line but no Sarah Connor.
Marty in his Enchantment Under the Sea/Johnny B. Goode look would be good I agree. Maybe also another Part III Doc from 1955 to match the Marty from that scene. He could have the gun for an accessory.

I would take the side characters, but aside from Jennifer I don’t know if I see them happening. Like you say I think it will be hard to do Lorraine without George and Glover won’t sign away his likeness rights.

The character of Jennifer is made to be an action figure- only one body required, but two head sculpts- one of Claudia Wells and one of Elisabeth Shue!

This line really should have been 6 figures long consisting of Doc and Marty figures from the 3 films

I think it's just that a lot of people are used to TMNT collecting and how they're wiped out of Targets/Walmarts immediately. I've been able to buy almost every other NECA product in store at Target and I'm in a pretty high population area. I just picked up Quint and they had the Puppet Master figures too. Plus all of these figures are available to buy online as well, the exclusivity when they have it is just a month. So less people needing to buy in store.

This line really should have been 6 figures long consisting of Doc and Marty figures from the 3 films

They're literally in several different outfits in each movie, it'd be at least a 12 figure line. I bought the Battle of the Bands Marty variant so that means I'll buy basically anyone else they put on the shelf. I'm hoping for Biffco Biff and I'd buy the BttF 3 versions too. They seem to just be hitting 1 and 2 right now, they've got at least 5-6 from that movie I think. 2 Marty's (Eastwood clothes and his normal clothes), Doc, Clara, Bufford, and his McFly ancestor.

Just release the versions on the posters everyone thinks of when it comes to BTTF. Doc & Marty are the most important characters in the franchise, everyone else is just a bit player, and frankly a waste of resources.

I hope they're working on a Delorean instead of Marty's Girlfriend or the rest of Biff's gang. I uh, also hope they're working on better Marty sculpts if they insist on more Marty variants, because the ones we've got aren't cutting it next to their Docs.

I mean to me the more characters the better. That’s one thing I like with NECA is that they often go all in on franchises. I love that we’re getting not only Marty and Doc, but Biff/Griff as well.

Back