NECA: 1/4 Batman 1989 Michael Keaton figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No pics I'm afraid because my camera is so broken down, dirty and scratched it barely pics up light anymore and my phone is an old Nokia candybar style phone - which I have prided myself on up to this point but will likely upgrade to a modern standard by year's end because there's certain apps I really could do with having. Anyway...

The '89 Batman really does have great presence at this size. It's iconic as **** and I see a very good Keaton likeness here, NECA paint notwithstanding (mine has some excess ''wash'' in the lines of his face, on one side moreso than the other. At a distance you wouldn't notice, only on close study.

Thankfully the bat ears are pointing up although the cowl is kinda wonky - which it has in common with the 7'' figure so I think it's just the way it was sculpted - and maybe deliberately? Perhaps the movie cowl was also not perfectly symmetrical? I could believe that.

I've always found the shape and proportions of the body and legs a little odd on the small NECA figure and this 1/4 scale is obviously the same. Maybe this is more accurate, I dunno, but I'm used to the Hot Toys build and silhouette. The body seems very long, rectangular and slim whilst the thighs sorta balloon out a bit. However, I knew this was what I was getting here and it didn't put me off buying the figure.

Weirdly mine came packed with his cape inside-out. I was going to come on here and ask if there had been some cost-cutting because the 'leather' portion of the cape was only at the very front with the whole back being the same material as my coat. Meanwhile the inside was entirely 'leather'. Then it dawned on me. The cape actually isn't the worst, you can get it looking reasonably OK if you tuck it between his arms and body at the front - this doesn't have any precut slits for the poles to go through from what I can tell and I have yet to do that. I will though because I've always wanted to have the wings out pose as a default but you can't really risk it with the Hot Toys. Still have to worry about warping the front scallops of the cowl though.

Accessory-wise, well, not much and hard to know what to do with what's there. I actually rarely use accessories with Batman figures anyway, which I suppose is weird considering he's the Superhero of Gadgets. There is one definite downgrade from prior releases after my viewing of youtube reviews - the grapple gun on mine does not come apart unless I rip it apart, possibly warping it in the process so I'm just not going to. It's also missing silver paint on one part and is instead flat black.

All-in-all though, glad to have it.

No pics I'm afraid because my camera is so broken down, dirty and scratched it barely pics up light anymore and my phone is an old Nokia candybar style phone - which I have prided myself on up to this point but will likely upgrade to a modern standard by year's end because there's certain apps I really could do with having. Anyway...

The '89 Batman really does have great presence at this size. It's iconic as **** and I see a very good Keaton likeness here, NECA paint notwithstanding (mine has some excess ''wash'' in the lines of his face, on one side moreso than the other. At a distance you wouldn't notice, only on close study.

Thankfully the bat ears are pointing up although the cowl is kinda wonky - which it has in common with the 7'' figure so I think it's just the way it was sculpted - and maybe deliberately? Perhaps the movie cowl was also not perfectly symmetrical? I could believe that.

I've always found the shape and proportions of the body and legs a little odd on the small NECA figure and this 1/4 scale is obviously the same. Maybe this is more accurate, I dunno, but I'm used to the Hot Toys build and silhouette. The body seems very long, rectangular and slim whilst the thighs sorta balloon out a bit. However, I knew this was what I was getting here and it didn't put me off buying the figure.

Weirdly mine came packed with his cape inside-out. I was going to come on here and ask if there had been some cost-cutting because the 'leather' portion of the cape was only at the very front with the whole back being the same material as my coat. Meanwhile the inside was entirely 'leather'. Then it dawned on me. The cape actually isn't the worst, you can get it looking reasonably OK if you tuck it between his arms and body at the front - this doesn't have any precut slits for the poles to go through from what I can tell and I have yet to do that. I will though because I've always wanted to have the wings out pose as a default but you can't really risk it with the Hot Toys. Still have to worry about warping the front scallops of the cowl though.

Accessory-wise, well, not much and hard to know what to do with what's there. I actually rarely use accessories with Batman figures anyway, which I suppose is weird considering he's the Superhero of Gadgets. There is one definite downgrade from prior releases after my viewing of youtube reviews - the grapple gun on mine does not come apart unless I rip it apart, possibly warping it in the process so I'm just not going to. It's also missing silver paint on one part and is instead flat black.

All-in-all though, glad to have it.
So this is your first time owning it wow!

The body never bothered me because mine will forever be covered by his cape.

This figure has only 3 critical components his head, his cape and the scallops lol

Regarding the holes in the cape, look very carefully. It wouldn’t surprise me if the reissue omitted them, but on my original release they are really tiny and very easy to overlook before inserting the wing poles for the first time.

Regarding the holes in the cape, look very carefully. It wouldn’t surprise me if the reissue omitted them, but on my original release they are really tiny and very easy to overlook before inserting the wing poles for the first time.
You were right, found them after watching The Review Spot's new video.

Knocking the dust off this thread…

Anyone else have the Jaxon Xu cape from OSK? It’s awesome!

A71BFCD2-2CC6-4DF0-89C1-809ADDFA410E.jpeg

Sorry for the resurrection lol. Posting some of my latest mods to this figure which include the Jaxon cape and thickened cowl. Use a hair dryer to stretch the neck and added some small folded pieces of cardboard to thicken the cowl. Still and WIP but I like the progress so far:
IMG_6634.jpeg
IMG_6632.jpeg
IMG_6633.jpeg
IMG_6664.jpeg
IMG_6621.jpeg
IMG_6663.jpeg
IMG_6627.jpeg
IMG_6604.jpeg
IMG_6627.jpeg

Back