My ultimate Ikea PAX built ! with Acrylic doors !!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazing find Shaughn thanks! The pax shelves are almost flush with the frame so I'm wondering if I should get the overlay hinges rather than inset. In any event, these seem very suitable!

The overlay will save you from having to cut down the shelves to allow the door to fit inside

It's also allot more forgiving if the cabinets shift slightly, as the insert depends on the cabinets to be perfectly square, if the cabinet shift it wont allow you to close the doors as it will catch on the frame, it happened to me.

Personally I did the Inset, I quite like it, I think the cabinets look real clean like that, but it's a personal preference, either will do great

I'm really glad this thread exists. I am ready to start planning doors and lighting on my own PAX system after reinforcing the shelves.

IMG_2068_zpsjznenwnv.jpg

IMG_2141_zpswedeftvd.jpg

IMG_2107_zpsftyszhsz.jpg

As I did not trust the plastic shelf pegs*that Ikea ships with these, I was able to find on Amazon some stronger ones from Hafele (model*SKI6730), they are rated to support up to 150kg for a set of 4, so bought a few bags of them and installed them instead, highly recommend using these ones, they have no comparison to the Ikea pegs !

View attachment 287440

Here they are installed in place:

View attachment 287441

I just purchased the metal shelf pegs you suggested from eBay. Are they strong enough to hold 300lbs as advertised? I'm testing it out by putting a prime 1 statue on it but worried it may still break. Do you think getting shelf brackets (small L-shaped support beams) is a must to ensure it won't collapse? Or should it be able to hold 2 Prime 1 statues without breaking?

9e7a4828113dc9de85458f3490bcdae0.jpg

Check out Ikea Variera cover caps for white Pax's. They take forever to install but after all the extra shelf holes are plugged they disappear from view. Here you can see some holes plugged and others not.

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/variera-cover-cap-white-00226315/

Ikea plugs.jpg

I also used #6 screws and washers for the back panel with these steel Ikea Observator cross braces. Now the cabinet cannot bow outwards over time. Solid as a rock! All my pics upload sideways or upside down! Sorry.

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/observatoer-cross-brace-galvanized-87749600/

Ikea Pack Reinforcement.jpg

Bought my Pax the other day and am currently researching. Glad I (re)found this thread.

Here's what I'm going with. Not huge, but will fit the space I have available and a big upgrade for me. About 60" wide, 80" tall. Currently looking for good options for LEDs and how to hook them all up to the same on/off switch and ensure there's enough power for all.

Do you still suggest the same shelf supports and back brace pieces? I did buy some of the plugs you mentioned, as well. Do you think I'll need any extra supports if I'm just doing Hot Toys? Or should the metal brackets be fine
xxShelvingUnit.jpg

I just purchased the metal shelf pegs you suggested from eBay. Are they strong enough to hold 300lbs as advertised? I'm testing it out by putting a prime 1 statue on it but worried it may still break. Do you think getting shelf brackets (small L-shaped support beams) is a must to ensure it won't collapse? Or should it be able to hold 2 Prime 1 statues without breaking?

9e7a4828113dc9de85458f3490bcdae0.jpg

They are really only as strong as the material you are putting them into.

Bought my Pax the other day and am currently researching. Glad I (re)found this thread.

Here's what I'm going with. Not huge, but will fit the space I have available and a big upgrade for me. About 60" wide, 80" tall. Currently looking for good options for LEDs and how to hook them all up to the same on/off switch and ensure there's enough power for all.

Do you still suggest the same shelf supports and back brace pieces? I did buy some of the plugs you mentioned, as well. Do you think I'll need any extra supports if I'm just doing Hot Toys? Or should the metal brackets be fine
View attachment 509197

Hot Toys are not heavy like statues (sorry to state the obvious) so I really wouldn't worry about weight

Also to reply to an old post, who would need to put 300lbs on a shelf?

Back