My New Anduril Forged At Weta

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question for you sword owners in the US... did you have to pay any fees (import, taxes, etc) in addition to the standard shipping charge?

I have done the same, although seriously questioning my own sanity at this point.

Went with the satin finish on Anduril, which is stunning. Now I'm really struggling with the new option for an aged/weathered finish on Strider's sword. I want it both ways, but paying for one is more than hard enough as it is.

Sky_Rider and Doctor, I'm curious which finish options you went with on Anduril, as well as what you are going with for Strider's sword? If you care to share.

Also interested in opinions from other forum members.

For Anduril, I also went with the satin finish. It was newly forged and got barely a workout ;)

I opted for the weathered look for Strider. Aragorn spent a lot of time on horseback, "in the field" so to speak and did so for many years. The sword would naturally be weathered during his exploits.

I think I understand your last question. I purchased Strider because this sword was his "companion and protector" while Anduril was in pieces. They are the most important swords in his life. They're almost a set.

Question for you sword owners in the US... did you have to pay any fees (import, taxes, etc) in addition to the standard shipping charge?

Oh yes, Uncle Sam got his pound of flesh. The duty was $282, then they had a whole bunch of little charges that brought it to $418. How about you other owners, was Customs consistent?

Only one of Strider's sword left now - #10. I'd be tempted, but Strider's sword is kind of plain. If I'd have known about Anduril though I might have bit. And Glamdring will be hard to resist.

However with the Cinemaquette Batmobile and Batwing this year - I'm not feeling very Pillsbury. :(

I agree with you 100%. Sorry Peter, but Strider doesn't get the blood boiling. Don't get me wrong, it's still a beautiful work of art. However, I did do some soul searching, but as I stated above, they're almost a set. H*ll, they are set.

Did they charge you guys use tax or was this just standard customs duties? i didn't know we had customs duties to be honest. If this was not use tax and you have no idea what I am talking about then you better look it up for your state. I had a box from Australia shipped Fedex, 3 years later I got a tax bill from the state of Illinois for use tax, late fees, interest and other assorted penalties.

Not fun. This was something I hadn't thought about with the bronze Smaug statue which has since been put on hold by Weta.

I just noticed something tonight on Ebay. Someone in NZ has got a Peter Lyons Anduril listed @ $8,000 USD + $200 shipping. It has the special case and everything, though an edition number isn't given. Also, the seller is brand-spanking-new to eBay. With only a few days left, there still weren't any bids.

I just noticed something tonight on Ebay. Someone in NZ has got a Peter Lyons Anduril listed @ $8,000 USD + $200 shipping. It has the special case and everything, though an edition number isn't given. Also, the seller is brand-spanking-new to eBay. With only a few days left, there still weren't any bids.

If I could have only one LOTR collectible THAT would be it. Sadly, I could probably sell off my entire collection and probably still would not have enough for it. :(

If I could have only one LOTR collectible THAT would be it. Sadly, I could probably sell off my entire collection and probably still would not have enough for it. :(

dun feel bad m8. sometimes having variety can be good. :eek:

Hey

I PMed those who replied above but didn't hear back. I was curious if the sword buyers had customs fees because the item came from NZ, or even if it was that specific as to reason. I ask because the bronzes ship directly from the foundry in China and I am hoping customs will not take its share due to some trade relationship that exists between the US and China but not with NZ.

I have edition number 1.:monkey3 but you my friend have gone one better by getting the belt and scabbard.I really wanted them but sword was a much as i could afford.I take my hat off to you for having a completed set-up

the scabbard and belt pics look:drool:drool
picture.php

here is mine
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

How long do you look at it each day? :aragorn Any plans for an elven shrine to display it on?

10crfjn.jpg

Hey

I PMed those who replied above but didn't hear back. I was curious if the sword buyers had customs fees because the item came from NZ, or even if it was that specific as to reason. I ask because the bronzes ship directly from the foundry in China and I am hoping customs will not take its share due to some trade relationship that exists between the US and China but not with NZ.

I haven't been around for awhile, thanks for the comments.

Customs is Customs. Any product coming into this country is subject to it. They have some "Schedules" that they have devoloped that they will use to determine if and when and how much will be charged. You might be able to call Customs, tell them what and how much it cost and they could give you their charges.

Bottom line, I'd count on shelling out some more money. But, considering that China owns the U.S.'s mortgage, we should get some bale out money from them.

Edited for atrocious grammar

Last edited:
Well, I have my new “pride and joy” Weta Anduril #5 of 10 with the “Hero” scabbard and belt. I received it back in January, but was prevented from opening it until a few days ago because of a family emergency.

When I opened the box and removed the top packing, the wonderful smell of leather hit me in the face as I looked down upon the scabbard and belt. I immediately started smiling as picked them up, did a quick inspection of the leatherwork and hardware and set them aside. I then removed the next cover and was hit with the smell of wood. I don’t know if this was the intention, but the fact that the sword case was shaped like a coffin was not lost on me.

The top and bottom halves of the case were tightly held together with four wooden dowels. When I gently worked the case apart revealing the cotton-covered sword, I was hit with what smelled like wax. I assume this is what they chose to protect the sword with. It is forged from high carbon steel, not stainless or other modern metals, and therefore will rust if not cared for properly. The case was a precursor to the fit and finish of the belt and scabbard and the sword contained within. So far, this was quite the sensory experience.

The sword was tightly wedged into the bottom half of the case and it took some time, patience and a little fancy language to get it out. Since I didn’t have gloves, I used the cotton covers to keep my hands off of the blade, hilt, and pommel as I uncovered the sword. As I did, my smile just kept getting bigger. The word beautiful doesn’t begin to do the sword justice. The handle is leather wrapped, the blade is mirror finished, straight and true and almost glows. The Elvish runes aren’t etched but stamped into the blade and pommel. I have the United Cutlery Anduril with its acid etched runes and it just looks pathetic next to this Anduril. The balance point is right at the hilt and when held with hands on either side of the hilt, the sword feels almost neutral. It is quite easy to maneuver making it a formidable weapon. It is simply a phenomenal example of the Swordsmith’s craft.

The scabbard is fully lined carbon fiber and covered in leather. The hardware on it is hand forged, finished and fitted separately. The belt is made from two pieces of leather and precisely embossed, tooled and punched. The pictures do more justice to the tooling quality than I can describe. The fit and finish of all of the hardware especially the tight tolerances of the buckles and swivels would make a watchmaker proud. Only four of the ten sword owners opted to purchase the scabbard and belt.

All in all, I couldn’t be happier with how everything turned out. This is especially true considering that swords are a particular passion of mine and that I stumbled across this offering while checking the Weta site on a whim. I got one of the last three available. This helps make up for when I was stationed in Japan over 20 years ago and didn’t have the $20K for the Katana that was offered to me. I look forward to Wetas next offering, which should be announced very soon.

Since mere words couldn’t possibly do Anduril justice, I’ve included pictures of it as well as the belt and scabbard. Feel free to ask any questions, I’ll answer as best I can.

Belt_Buckle.JPG

Belt_Elvish_Runes.JPG

Scabbard.JPG

Sword_Case.JPG

Sword_Case_Placard.JPG

Sword_Horizontal.JPG

Sword_Horizontal_2.JPG

Sword_Hilt.JPG

Sword_Hilt_Close-Up.JPG

Sword_Pommel.JPG
Hi there, do happen to still have this set? I've been looking for photos of it outside of promotional photos and I'd love to see a full set. Unfortunately the photos uploaded back at the making of this post are unavailable so that's why I ask.

Back