My 1/38 scale 3D printed ANH Imperial TIE Fighter model

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cking

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had this in my collection for a while now and wanted to share some photos of it. This was the result of my desire to have a TIE Fighter in the same scale as the Kotobukiya cross-section X-Wing model (which based on the size of the figures that came with the kit would be approximately 1/38 scale).
I contacted Stinson Lenz on the RPF and he worked very hard on creating a 3d printable file of the TIE Fighter which included a miniature version of the full size cockpit set that was constructed for the movie.
Lots of trial and error getting the parts printed from shapeways resulted in the wings being printed in their basic White, Strong and Flexible plastic which is a bit "sand textured" but not bad when viewed from a few inches away. The main hull and all the detail parts were then printed using their Frosted Ultra Detail plastic.
As always, my good friend StevetheSwede came to the rescue and assembled and painted it and super detailed the kit by adding the missing parts onto it that couldn't be modelled in the computer. He added some lighting effects and some "artistic license" to hide the LED's inside the bespoke control panels. The TIE Fighter pilot was actually the figure from the Revell Easy Kit which had a hugely undersized ship compared to the figure but as luck would have it, the pilot figure from that kit was pretty much the same scale as the Kotobukiya figures that were supplied with the X-Wing.

64 - FINISHED - 070216.jpg
65 - FINISHED - 070216.jpg
66 - FINISHED - 070216.jpg
67 - FINISHED - 070216.jpg
20160325_200547.jpg
20171104_180308-1.jpg
35 - Cockpit Interior.jpg
38a - Cockpit Interior.jpg
41 - Cockpit Electronics.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Chris

Thanks generalszabo.

Here's the Kotobukiya "cross section" X-Wing that triggered my desire to have a TIE Fighter at the same scale. The X-Wing was painted by Dean Dymerski (he was the artist that painted the Master Replicas paint master for the studio scale Millennium Falcon).

20171104_180542-1.jpg

Chris

Holy **** that looks amazing! :clap Even lights up, wish I had this

Hi all,

I've had this in my collection for a while now and wanted to share some photos of it. This was the result of my desire to have a TIE Fighter in the same scale as the Kotobukiya cross-section X-Wing model (which based on the size of the figures that came with the kit would be approximately 1/38 scale).
I contacted Stinson Lenz on the RPF and he worked very hard on creating a 3d printable file of the TIE Fighter which included a miniature version of the full size cockpit set that was constructed for the movie.
Lots of trial and error getting the parts printed from shapeways resulted in the wings being printed in their basic White, Strong and Flexible plastic which is a bit "sand textured" but not bad when viewed from a few inches away. The main hull and all the detail parts were then printed using their Frosted Ultra Detail plastic.
As always, my good friend StevetheSwede came to the rescue and assembled and painted it and super detailed the kit by adding the missing parts onto it that couldn't be modelled in the computer. He added some lighting effects and some "artistic license" to hide the LED's inside the bespoke control panels. The TIE Fighter pilot was actually the figure from the Revell Easy Kit which had a hugely undersized ship compared to the figure but as luck would have it, the pilot figure from that kit was pretty much the same scale as the Kotobukiya figures that were supplied with the X-Wing.

View attachment 385452
View attachment 385453
View attachment 385455
View attachment 385457
View attachment 385458
View attachment 385460
View attachment 385461
View attachment 385462
View attachment 385463

Thanks for looking.

Chris

Damn man, I don't think I've ever seen such a clear view of what the TIE cockpit interiors look like in all the last 40 years. Nice work! :clap

Thanks Khev,
The two consoles either side of the pilot were custom made to hide the LED cables. They didn't have those side consoles on the full size set.

Damn man, I don't think I've ever seen such a clear view of what the TIE cockpit interiors look like in all the last 40 years. Nice work! :clap

This is off the planet!!! Beautiful work!!!!

If I didn't have the EFX, this would be the one to get.

AMAZING!!!!!

Thanks for all the great comments. Really glad you like it. It was a 2 year project which had lots of obstacles to get over but the end result makes all of those problems vanish.
Here's a comparison showing the difference between the size of my 1/38 scale hull and the Fine Molds 1/48 model.
Comparison-with-FineMolds-1-48scale.JPG

Here's the Frosted Ultra Detail hull with the White, Strong & Flexible wing print:
Hull-FUD-Wing-WSF.JPG

Here's the primed Frosted Ultra Detail parts:
FUD-Parts.jpg

Various stages of clean-up and cockpit detailing:
Cockpit Interior.jpg
Cockpit.JPG
Cockpit Electronics.jpg
Steering Yoke.jpg
Hull Details.jpg
Hull-Detail.JPG

Painted wings prior to assembly which are held on with screws and magnets which can be taken off by removing the end caps on the outer parts of the wings (like the EFX studio scale model).

Painted Wings.jpg

Amazing in every detail, did you make the base itself as well or was that from a company?

Here's an early comparison that was done by the computer modeller which shows the size difference between the 1/24 studio scale efx TIE and the smaller 1/38 scale. The thing that I love about the 1/38 scale is that it fits beautifully into my IKEA Detolf cabinet but it's still large enough to have lots of intricate details.

Size-Comparison.jpg

Thanks Niltusk.
The base was made from MDF painted black with an acrylic top to cover the printed name plate. All of this was done by my friend StevetheSwede.

Amazing in every detail, did you make the base itself as well or was that from a company?

Back