Most Vexing and/or Horror Inducing Hot Toys Design Feature

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This Hot Toys Design Feature is the One that is Most Likely to Put Me in a Psych Ward:

• Iron Man Batteries

Votes: 21 35.0%
  • Captain America Shield

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other…

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • Flight Stand Only (No Crotch Grabber)

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • Waist Grabber for Female Figures

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters
The interesting thing about that footprints in the sand base is that they've already developed and used a semi-textured flat sand base with Rise of Skywalker Rey, so why not just start using that instead? Just cast it in different colors for the particular character. They even did a different one with Heavy Mando that's flat and sort of sandy looking without the footprints so they have options that they've already developed.

It’s not really semi-textured; that’d be too much work. It’s just an image on a flat base. They’ve done it several times by putting a graphic on a rectangular stand. Sometimes it’s a pre-adhered sticker, sometimes it’s a removable topper. It’s very inconsistent. But they can actually look pretty good so they should do it more often.

Heavy Mando was the same thing, as well as the Artillery Stormtrooper, Mudtrooper Han, ROTJ Luke, ROTJ Leia, Wicket, ROTS Anakin, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Dooku, Kylo Ren, and a few others like most of the TLJ line. Except for Crait Luke who had the Crait salt style sand base which didn’t even make sense.

But your question still applies. Why keep using the old sand base instead of one of the other bases? Why not just have different toppers on one style of base to be able to choose between variety or consistency? Who knows.

Maybe someone accidentally left the sand base fabricating machine on at the factory over a long weekend 7 years ago and they’re still working through their stockpile.

It’s not really semi-textured; that’d be too much work. It’s just an image on a flat base. They’ve done it several times by putting a graphic on a rectangular stand. Sometimes it’s a pre-adhered sticker, sometimes it’s a removable topper. It’s very inconsistent. But they can actually look pretty good so they should do it more often.

Heavy Mando was the same thing, as well as the Artillery Stormtrooper, Mudtrooper Han, ROTJ Luke, ROTJ Leia, Wicket, ROTS Anakin, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Dooku, Kylo Ren, and a few others like most of the TLJ line. Except for Crait Luke who had the Crait salt style sand base which didn’t even make sense.

But your question still applies. Why keep using the old sand base instead of one of the other bases? Why not just have different toppers on one style of base to be able to choose between variety or consistency? Who knows.

Maybe someone accidentally left the sand base fabricating machine on at the factory over a long weekend 7 years ago and they’re still working through their stockpile.
true, that's what I meant I guess. The printed graphic that has some textured feel to it. I don't like the removable ones as they tend to sit pretty loosely even with the crotch post in. My OCD for evenness just goes crazy when I try to line it up and then it gets misaligned when I lock the post in. I prefer them to be permanently adhered to the base.

That said, I'd prefer those little graphics (be it permanent or just a loose topper) than the footprint bases. They just look better to me. I really don't like display bases that don't allow figures to stand naturally or being forced into a certain type of stance. Like the Alita/Battling Cap base or the Evil Reeve Superman/Mark 46/ DW Thor base. They tend to look cool, but for practicality, they sort of suck IMO.

true, that's what I meant I guess. The printed graphic that has some textured feel to it. I don't like the removable ones as they tend to sit pretty loosely even with the crotch post in. My OCD for evenness just goes crazy when I try to line it up and then it gets misaligned when I lock the post in. I prefer them to be permanently adhered to the base.

That said, I'd prefer those little graphics (be it permanent or just a loose topper) than the footprint bases. They just look better to me. I really don't like display bases that don't allow figures to stand naturally or being forced into a certain type of stance. Like the Alita/Battling Cap base or the Evil Reeve Superman/Mark 46/ DW Thor base. They tend to look cool, but for practicality, they sort of suck IMO.

I agree, they do look better and often pretty convincing. A lot more so than the sand base even when it gets repainted, which as the years go by just looks more and more like toast with peanut butter on it.

I think the best compromise would be to make the black floor base universal, and then include an adhesive card as a topper. If someone wants to stick the card on they can, or leave the backing on if they want to be able to swap it out. If they don't want to use the graphic, then all the figures would have a matching clean base.

The interesting thing about that footprints in the sand base is that they've already developed and used a semi-textured flat sand base with Rise of Skywalker Rey, so why not just start using that instead? Just cast it in different colors for the particular character. They even did a different one with Heavy Mando that's flat and sort of sandy looking without the footprints so they have options that they've already developed.

Agreed! The ROS Rey stand is a good one, it looks just as classy in my opinion. It'd be great if they implemented that for 'normal' display stands.

Yeah I think I like these rectangular stands with the image on top, plus they take up a little less space than the hexagonal ones.

I quite like the ROS Rey (ROTJ Leia/Wicket too) base, since the top part of the base that the sand image is on is also a similar color, and makes the base appear a bit more like an environment for the figure in my opinion.

Agreedd!!

That could be plausible :rotfl

Yeah same! Some of the stands have multiple graphics and when I try to stand the figure on it it shifts slightly and drives me nuts! :lol

Much agreed!! It'd be great if they always included a stand that allows for simple standing, especially for those who don't really pose most of their figures :monkey3

Having said that, I do really like diorama bases! I just wish they include BOTH a diorama base and a default stand. (If I recall correctly, I think they did do it back then, when the oval stands were prevalent.)

I agree, they do look better and often pretty convincing. A lot more so than the sand base even when it gets repainted, which as the years go by just looks more and more like toast with peanut butter on it.

You read my mind! No wonder that sand base makes me hungry :lol

I think the best compromise would be to make the black floor base universal, and then include an adhesive card as a topper. If someone wants to stick the card on they can, or leave the backing on if they want to be able to swap it out. If they don't want to use the graphic, then all the figures would have a matching clean base.

Agreedd too!!!

Yeah they reuse this base way too much! :oops:

Hmm, I think it's only been used for SW figures only, and if they included it with Marvel/others it'd be way done to death! :rotfl

There's also that same rock/pavement base that depending how its angled is either Superman, Thor or Iron Man just off the top of my head
uFAsGYO.jpg

Or the square pavement section with bullet casings sure why not
iKgh5jL.jpg
ciQnlom.png

Just the completely lack of uniformity in bases is pretty annoying. Nothing matches, the heights and styles change the second they get established, so many are too awkward and chunky to use

Or the square pavement section with bullet casings sure why not
iKgh5jL.jpg
ciQnlom.png

Just the completely lack of uniformity in bases is pretty annoying. Nothing matches, the heights and styles change the second they get established, so many are too awkward and chunky to use

I didn’t keep the Mk 7, but that dumb reused base was a crime against an otherwise sublime figure.

Yeah I often criticize the lack of consistency in bases as well, especially across Star Wars. If you want to use bases and have figures from within the same trilogy - sometimes even within the same film or show - you’re left with a mess of mismatched bases.

Figures that should logically pair together having stands that don’t is just completely unacceptable.

Last edited:
I don't use bases with my figures but I like when hot toys gives us different looking bases. It's interesting seeing what new looks they come up with. The people complaining about bases can easily buy uniform bases for cheap if they want all their figures to have the exact same base to stand on.

Other. The old simulated “leather” clothing that’s mostly rubbery material literally disintegrates after a few years. How long are those hero bodysuits going to last down the road!?! How long will Spidey look good in that period of time .. or any other fitted bodysuit figure… longevity is a problem…

As I've just had my Exo6 Janeway wrist peg snap almost as soon as I got her out of the box, I have to concur: wrist pegs are the worst. But it seems like a necessary evil. I dunno how else it could be done

This is exactly what I was talking about. Hot Toys charge all this money for these figures and have no problem throwing ugly exposed joints on the figures. Hopefully Queen Studios embarrasses them out of doing that.

Back