Most Prized Comic Book(s) You Own!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it took me 30 years but I finally acquired the books I've always wanted more than any other.

Frank Miller's Batman: The Dark Knight books 1-4, 1st prints.

I told myself I'd get them someday. And years went by and I never did. Years became decades. About two years ago I decided that I would purchase them for myself as a 40th birthday gift. I missed my birthday, but I got them in, just before the end of 2017.

They arrived today. In "Fine" condition. I never needed them to be mint. I don't have that kind of money. But I needed them to be the real deal. The first printings of the four issues of my favorite comic book series of all time.

I am so delighted to finally cross these off my list. What an awesome feeling!

dk 1-4.jpg

Those look really nice. I’ve never been able to get 1st prints of 1 or 2. I bet that is a proud feeling. Congratulations, mate.

So in addition to Frank Miller, my other favorite artist is Katsuhiro Otomo.

AKIRA was first published in the 80s and early 90s in weekly installments in a big, thick anthology comic book called "Young Magazine."

As a kid in middle school, I collected all of the American issues of AKIRA. I never dreamed I'd ever even SEE the original magazines. Even in Japan, they are exceedingly rare. Most people just toss them out (they're THICK, like old phonebooks, and take up a lot of space, and space is a precious commodity in Japan.) Some fans will cut out the "good" pages and still throw out the rest. But most people tossed the weeklies and waiting for the collected paperbacks, a lot like comic collectors do in America, except nobody would ever throw out the monthly floppies.

So the idea that some Japanese nerd had the foresight to keep these issues and keep them safe for over 30 years blows my mind. They must have known that AKIRA was something special, even back then.

Well, thanks to Yahoo Japan Auctions (the Japanese equivalent of ebay) I now own two of the original weekly magazines. (These were NOT cheap, but they weren't stupidly expensive either.) Now, obviously they're not in mint condition, not only because of the age, but also the fact that these are printed on the cheapest paper possible. They are designed to be completely disposable. I'd be happy to own them in any condition, but honestly, these really aren't that bad! Think of how OLD and rare they are. I can't even begin to estimate how many of these actually exist today, but I gotta believe it's not many.

So along with my signed Dark Knights by Frank Miller, these have to be close to the top of my most prized comic books. I've had the red one for a few years, (the one in my avatar) but the other one just arrived today. I feel like a kid on Christmas. I never, ever thought I'd even SEE these, let alone OWN them. Truly a dream come true.

Young Magazines.jpg

Ultimate Spider-Man #1, 2000 (Signed by Mark Bagley)

I love this title and was so stoked to get this for Christmas a couple of years ago.

Attachments

• DED8D678-C452-4D8B-8584-B9C3E7C36888.jpeg
    DED8D678-C452-4D8B-8584-B9C3E7C36888.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 0CC1C054-EC68-4499-AED4-0B6E707DE028.jpeg
    0CC1C054-EC68-4499-AED4-0B6E707DE028.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Only ones that spring to mind are the ones on my wall - original Killing Joke 9.8 signed by Bolland; Batman #1 (from the Capullo/Snyder era) sketch variant signed by both of them; and a random Justice League #3 sketch version as I just like Jim Lee's art

The first 2 have increased in value quite a bit since I bough them, the latter not so much lol
20220428_200044.jpg

I have a lot of non graded comics, if money were no object I'd send them all off to CGC. There was a time when I just bought any and every variant that looked cool, I'd like to sell them ideally but the hassle is too much as most of them won't be worth much on their own. I guess my best bet is taking them to a LCS and asking what they'll take for them...

I have a lot of non graded comics, if money were no object I'd send them all off to CGC. There was a time when I just bought any and every variant that looked cool, I'd like to sell them ideally but the hassle is too much as most of them won't be worth much on their own. I guess my best bet is taking them to a LCS and asking what they'll take for them...
I started similar but quickly realized there are just too many variations. Now I go after keys and stuff that will fit in my collection.

I own every issue of the Charlton Action Hero era - which includes every Peacemaker appearance (as well as Captain Atom, Blue Beetle, Question). Those seem to have increased in value lately - particularly Peacemaker. I don’t hate that - though I don’t purchase comics based on investments

Back