MONDO - THE THING

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be tempted to get both (because Carpenter), but neither looks particularly polished unfortunately, and from Mondo pricing I have a real fear these will be priced closer to upper Hot Toys/InArt territory when we’re getting 3rd party quality lol.

Not seeing Kurt in the MacReady much at all. When 80% of a character’s face is covered in hair, you really wanna make sure you get the eyes right lol.

Roddy’s at least got the glasses to cover up sculpt shortcomings…let’s hope MacReady has his.

7002E343-E098-49B8-B61A-514C25F8AC67.jpeg

220F2E5F-1389-4EC9-955A-46CBBDEE5756.jpeg

0FBE8ED2-57BC-47DD-80E5-A114CCB8295F.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m not sure how anyone can look at these and think they look passable, let alone “good.” Even if you’re happy with the head sculpts, look at how terrible the tailoring looks. Macreadys jacket looks like it was made for a 1/4 scale figure. :lol

I would be tempted to get both (because Carpenter), but neither looks particularly polished unfortunately, and from Mondo pricing I have a real fear these will be priced closer to upper Hot Toys/InArt territory when we’re getting 3rd party quality lol.

Not seeing Kurt in the MacReady much at all. When 80% of a character’s face is covered in hair, you really wanna make sure you get the eyes right lol.

Roddy’s at least got the glasses to cover up sculpt shortcomings…let’s hope MacReady has his.

View attachment 641490

View attachment 641495
View attachment 641496
I just don't get it....what is wrong with the face. I am seeing Kurt Russel. It is the skin tone? The eyebrows. I am trying to understand what I am missing in terms of the complaints.

I just don't get it....what is wrong with the face. I am seeing Kurt Russel. It is the skin tone? The eyebrows. I am trying to understand what I am missing in terms of the complaints.

Where have you been? Have you seen the type of realism these collectible companies are capable of now? Even a decade ago these would look dated.

Are they doing a Plissken?
Thread 'Asmus Toys: Escape From New York Snake Plissken'
Asmus Toys: Escape From New York Snake Plissken

C405C2A8-458D-486B-9F6E-F0689C428643.jpeg

Found the thread where I’d seen it mentioned. Doesn’t look like there have been any recent updates on their Thranduil, so if that was going to come first it’s a ways out I guess if it ends up happening at all.

The varied opinions on sculpt likenesses are one of the more interesting things about the hobby to me, so always cool to see where everyone falls - happy you like it! I hope they make some tweaks. It’s certainly better than the first showing which looked like a dated Sideshow figure, so we’re moving in the right direction. To me, it’s just not reading as Kurt on the MacReady figure, particularly in the eyes. Nada is definitely superior. I like the monstrosities that come with MacReady. I don’t know enough about the technical aspects to know if it’s the sculpt itself or a weak paint application, but when I look at a Hot Toys sculpt like the new Modern Suit Keaton or Star Lord, or InArt’s prototypes, the likeness is striking, unquestionable, and looks like a shrunken down version of the screen counterpart. Considering this is the prototype and it usually downgrades from there, was hoping to be excited and just feel disappointed. Tailoring plays a big part in selling the likeness too, and that also looks weak here to me, perhaps it was bad futzing but that’s on them haha. If this is priced like a Present Toys figure, it would be less disappointing, but my guess is it won’t be and who knows when we’ll get another licensed option for these.

Thread 'Asmus Toys: Escape From New York Snake Plissken'
Asmus Toys: Escape From New York Snake Plissken

View attachment 641569

Found the thread where I’d seen it mentioned. Doesn’t look like there have been any recent updates on their Thranduil, so if that was going to come first it’s a ways out I guess if it ends up happening at all.

The varied opinions on sculpt likenesses are one of the more interesting things about the hobby to me, so always cool to see where everyone falls - happy you like it! I hope they make some tweaks. It’s certainly better than the first showing which looked like a dated Sideshow figure, so we’re moving in the right direction. To me, it’s just not reading as Kurt on the MacReady figure, particularly in the eyes. Nada is definitely superior. I like the monstrosities that come with MacReady. I don’t know enough about the technical aspects to know if it’s the sculpt itself or a weak paint application, but when I look at a Hot Toys sculpt like the new Modern Suit Keaton or Star Lord, or InArt’s prototypes, the likeness is striking, unquestionable, and looks like a shrunken down version of the screen counterpart. Considering this is the prototype and it usually downgrades from there, was hoping to be excited and just feel disappointed. Tailoring plays a big part in selling the likeness too, and that also looks weak here to me, perhaps it was bad futzing but that’s on them haha. If this is priced like a Present Toys figure, it would be less disappointing, but my guess is it won’t be and who knows when we’ll get another licensed option for these.
Would love a Big Trouble China figure. I have the Sideshow and it's ehhh...okay.

I guess when you compare MacReady to Hot Toys, yes I see it. Hot Toys would have better skin tone and better likenesses, you are right.

I think what I SEE if I were to compare with Hot Toys is the sculpt is there, the skin tone paint can be better, the hair it self, can have a better sculpt details. I see 100% Kurt Russell otherwise.

If I remember correctly, Trevor Grove actually sculpted that 1/6 Mac that got cancelled several years back, along with Jurassic Park figures. Sadly.

Back