Mezco One:12 Predator

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After owning it for a couple of weeks, I’m glad I have this. First pictures and videos were awful as usual but I’m having more fun with this than with the neca 7 inch.
Could have been better but I like it.
I don’t have pictures because it’s too cold to go outside and I refuse to add to the pile of crap pictures but if I have to give it a score it’s a 7/10. Maybe a 6.5 if I’m being anal.
I did have the Alien on PO but with that I’m gonna wait for good pictures first.

Got this today and I think it's awesome. Zoomed in photos and videos filmed in bad lighting don't do it justice at all.

The paint and sculpt on the closed mouth portion aren't that great though. It's like they forgot that piece during production and got in a rush to finish them in time for release.

Must admit Dean Knight got it looking much better using the NECA biomask and some other minor mods. It mainly now just lacks the darker colours over some areas of the skin that it should have.

Been working on a repaint...
1000000756.jpg

Must admit Dean Knight got it looking much better using the NECA biomask and some other minor mods. It mainly now just lacks the darker colours over some areas of the skin that it should have.

Amazing how those little tweaks made such a huge difference in how the figure looks.

Although I like this Predator, I really wish his posability was better, specifically the feet.

Got mine a while back it's pretty good even with the flaws. I'd be in for a repaint on him but don't have the skills to do it.

Off the back of Dean Knight's video showing the improvements he made together with video he did of the Big Chap Alien in which he put them side by side, my curiosity got the better of me and I opened my Mezco Predator.

Well, I will say that it feels like quality - the mixed media at this scale - the real netting, the real loincloth, the LED features, the more pliable dreadlocks - these are the things that I'm sure persuaded some youtube reviewers that it's better than the NECA......but it's not. It's really not. There's only one aspect of the sculpt I like better than NECA and that's the waist-hip area - NECA has the womanly hips/thighs thing going on and could do with a wider waist and thus probably a slightly bigger torso overall which would in turn make that figure taller - reckon it's a smidge too short for Kevin Peter Hall when compared against Dutch. And sure, it'd be cool if NECA's had real netting, a real loincloth and an LED lazer sighting. That's where Mezco's improvements end. Literally everything else is better on the NECA.

Putting the NECA mask on the Mezco head improves the Mezco head - but just the head in isolation. Everything else still looks wrong. The armour seems too dark to me (I'm open to correction on that) while as we've already pointed out they completely screwed the paint on the Predator's body itself, managing to forget to add the dark areas and spotting he's supposed to have on his skin.

The unmasked sculpt is a Predator, I'll give it that. But it sure aint the Jungle Hunter. And the seams of the interchangeable mandibles are way too obvious.

The other major problem is his general proportions. This is a 1/12 scale figure while NECA's is 1/10 and yet the heads are the same size, the plasma-casters are pretty much the same size, various parts of the armour are the same size and even the bone trophys are the same size. Yet the Mezco is clearly shorter - as a result he looks like a young teenager in Predator cosplay. That is now beef number one of mine and I can't get it out of my head as I look at the figure.

Anyway, I just said screw it and put the Mezco bio-mask back on it, there's simply too much else wrong for it to be worthwhile correcting just one thing. Might aswell leave it stock. Either I'll sell it or keep it as a curiosity - it's part of Predator action figure history now....such as it is.

Last edited:

All due respect to Dean but any figure upon which there was room for ''vast improvement'' was not ''already an amazing piece''. I don't have much experience with Mezco but they really fell short with this one and Dean's mods here illustrate that.

Sorry Zurdo, I know I said I was done ripping on this figure. I thought I was, really. :lol

[...]

Sorry Zurdo, I know I said I was done ripping on this figure. I thought I was, really. :lol

'Tis okay! :lol Just goes to show how much you care about figures turning out good and the source material. Even so, I'm still going to be adequately happy to receive it (it's in my pol @bbts, so I'll probably have it shipped later). I may bite on some of the Neca figs that are available to get some more Preds going on in my collection 😁 Would reallyy like to get my hands on a HT Predator, but unfortunately they're absurdly costly in the aftermarket :acme:monkey2 Mannn, it'd be a dream if one day I'd wake up and see solicitation pics of P1 Jungle Hunter & P2 City Hunter 2.0's, just imagine new, revamped figures of those classics, just imagine! :thud:

Last edited:
I've got the Mezco Predator on my shelf and it looks cool enough? Granted, I'm not one of those 100% screen accuracy guys, I just wanted a figure in my collection to represent a film series I like.
I'm with you, most of the time when I see people customising their figures, I don't even know what's wrong with the parts they're changing.

Back