Action Figure Mezco One:12 Collective - (1:12 scale) DC Comics Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is anybody else at a crossroads with Mezco?

I've thought of selling off the majority of my collection but then a release like Superman and the tease of Robin pulls me back in.

I've thought of selling off the majority of my collection but then a release like Superman and the tease of Robin pulls me back in.
I sold off all of my Mezco One:12 figures a while back but have been buying the occasional release since then, whenever they show something that I just can't pass on, though those are few and far between.

For me, the reason I hopped off the bandwagon was the mixed bag of quality, rising prices, sometimes difficult to acquire exclusives, janky website, and lack of presence the figures have on display compared to larger figures like 1:6 scale. The last one especially hurts considering Mezco figures can be half the price of a much nicer looking sixth scale figure.

I sold off all of my Mezco One:12 figures a while back but have been buying the occasional release since then, whenever they show something that I just can't pass on, though those are few and far between.

For me, the reason I hopped off the bandwagon was the mixed bag of quality, rising prices, sometimes difficult to acquire exclusives, janky website, and lack of presence the figures have on display compared to larger figures like 1:6 scale. The last one especially hurts considering Mezco figures can be half the price of a much nicer looking sixth scale figure.
I think the occasional release route is where I'm headed. The quality, pricing, and exclusivity have always been an arguing factor on whether or not I want to continue with the line too. I think the quality is getting better but then that comes with a higher pricing. The exclusivity seems to be doing better since they've been focusing more on their IP products for exclusives which I'm not interested in and saves me time and money.

I've grown a better appreciation for 1/6 scale in the past couple of years. I was excited for Mezco getting the Power Rangers line but ThreeZero offered 1/6 scaled releases and is releasing them all at once by the end of the month. They're around $100/figure and don't come with much accessories but I'm more excited about displaying them than I feel I ever would with the 1/12 Mezco releases that will take years to be released.

Much better than their original Supes release but I’m not crazy about the sculpt. It’s ok but some really sharp features in a bad way on this one. Will still likely get it.

Where is the ROBIN update??
They teased the Fantastic Four in a similar way and it wasn't until months later at another con that they fully revealed them.

Then again, this is Mezco... he could also go up for pre-order tomorrow.

Q0wTOlT.jpg

Really gruesome looking take on the Joker. Impressive figure but not feeling the surgeon tools and look. I am happy enough to add him to my shelf as first appearance Joker with some slight mods. Maybe a vest and some gloved hands. He can borrow an accessory from another Joker figure.

YES! I'm so getting that two pack. I guess in a way I got my wish for a classic Batman but with Two-Face also. Yup definitely instant buy.

I hope Mezco goes more into the DC Extended Universe with releases. Between The Batman, The Flash, Black Adam, Aquaman, and Shazam: Fury of the Gods. They have so many potential releases.

Keaton Batman is pushed back till Dec-Feb. :impatient:
Just came to ask if the 89 Batman was still happening. Forgot I had even ordered it. Cannot believe it is going to be two years for that thing to come out, what a complete joke even in pandemic times. Glad I jumped off the Mezco bandwagon with that particular PO though I admit I will still pick up their occasional horror figure just for the novelty. The GI Joe stuff looks really cool I must say but those prices are going to add up REAL quick to start collecting that line.

Last edited:
Yeah. Me too.

Haven't bought a One:12 since Dark Knight Returns cause I hated the Mez flair. Came back for 1989 Batman, despite the bait and switch from the first prototype reveals, and I can't believe it's been almost two years since the preorder. I wouldn't be surprised if they just plain canceled it at this point.

Also agree on the GI Joe stuff. I don't see how it can possibly justify the price, especially when Hasbro is absolutely crushing it on all cylinders with Classified ever since they course-corrected after the first wave. Mezco proved that super-heroes could look cool in 1/12 scale with cloth outfits but I'm not sure the commando and ninjas are gonna pull it off as easily.

I jumped off the bandwagon too, like Angelo. Years ago.
I wouldn't suggest to sell the majority of your collection as you may regret it, but maybe figures you don't care about. There are some great figures to keep imo.

I had pretty much everything at some point, including the Toy Fair exclusives (the hardest to get), I was completely hypnotized by this line of figures (like when you get deep into any kind of collection of some specific stuff), but several things made me realize I had to stop (I sold most of my collection):

1) There was an objective drop of quality (of selected materials & headsculpts & attention to detail) happening around 2018 if I recall. Maybe it was 2017. I'll say this: too much vinyl. I never understood this.

2) They were beginning their tendency to modify the actual look of the characters and add their touch. Now I wouldn't have a problem with that had this line begun like this (and I wouldn't have invested so much in it). But they begun with The Dark Knight Returns figure, and it was dead on. It was the comic book character, not a fancy re-interpretation. And most of the early line was very faithful to the characters (Captain Kirk, Spock, Flash, the BvS line, the comic book Spider-Man...). Sometimes there were some changes, but it was still acceptable. Then it became THEIR thing, their characters, and the line had no more coherence at all. When they began their thing with the "ascending knight" batman, it's when I realized it was not what I wanted. Especially when we already had a bunch of great (and better & more faithful) Batman figures.

3) Way too many variants of the same figure, and this was happening for almost every figure. I'm not even talking about disguised re-issues (like Spec Ops Punisher). I was buying characters I had no care about just because I loved this line and wanted to support it, but it was also getting to the point I HAD to get every variant. Then I looked at my shelf and was thinking "what am I doing?". When you have 3 Deadpool, 3 Wolverine, 3 Spider-man, 3 (or maybe even 4) Punisher and so on, it's getting ridiculous. Especially with the Toy Fair variants which were terribly expensive because they're so limited and only given to a selected few.

4) Not enough villains, and the problem is the villains they released are mostly their interpretation of the villains. I wanted a Dark Knight Returns Joker. I did get Darkseid, and kept it, because this character has been let down by most companies, but it's still not the Darkseid I hoped for. Again, too much vinyl.

Now I understand they have to make profits, and they have to rely on variants to sell a lot of the same figure and keep people in the loop. Quality material & tailoring gets more & more expensive hence why they rely on vinyl & cheap tailoring more than they used to.
It's also cheaper for them to make their own characters, that way they just pay for the global licence, but they don't have to pay for a specific character.

I get this. But the thing is, I didn't view this line like this. When it began, it looked like a passion project, that could eventually fail.
I remember the first time I saw those Mezco figures in person, with the first figures from the line (The Dark Knight Returns, Spock, Frankenstein & others) and I thought "wow this is so perfect, this is so cute". The tailoring (the lines... it was perfect!), the headsculpts & attention to detail were perfection. And this format was the icing on the cake, they looked like mini Hot Toys. I figured whoever was behind this had great tastes.

Now there are loads of figures & variants, the quality has dropped so much, most of the characters don't remind me of anything, especially with anything Batman-related.
But that's not to say everything is garbage in this line. Once in a while, they do some very cool stuff. Their Reeve Superman looks very cool (haven't bought it as I don't collect this line anymore), their upcoming Predator looks perfect, their Popeye line is great. But how many poor figures have they released in between? Way too much. I saw the new line of figures recently in the same shop I discovered the line originally, years ago, and while they don't look TOO bad, it's a far cry from what this line used to be. It's like it's handled by completely different persons who have poor tastes!

I just wish they had released way less figures, maintained top quality tailoring, adapt the characters very faithfully, and pick the right characters.
At this point, even if they do release one or two cool figures now & then, I don't want to buy them, they ruined the line for me. It's weird, because I could be even more harsh with Hot Toys, but I've never wanted to own every Hot Toys figure. I never saw Hot Toys doing a line of figures. I see each figure separately. But this One:12 line, I saw it as a true collection of a lifetime. What a missed opportunity (all of this is just my opinion of course).

I’ve got to be honest: Mezco lost me for a long, long, time. While I feel that MAFEX’s efforts have far surpassed their early TDKR figures, it was the potential (and the fact that it was, at that time, uncharted territory) of comic based figures that I found to be immensely exciting…and then…they went the Sideshow route. And I get it. The “flair” sold and they had a fanatical fan base that didn’t really give a **** if Batman looked like he was cosplaying as a Basketball. In between, there were little glimmers. Like the MDX Joker or The Punisher, where you could see the potential of the line, but they still didn’t quite grab me…

…and then Keaton was announced…and then Reeve…and then that Wolverine figure (and, historically, I have not even been a huge Marvel guy, but, like, c’mon. How could you not?). And now, I can honestly say I have never been more excited for Mezco stuff than I have been as of late. Gotham by Gaslight, the Man of Steel edition Superman figure; I about **** a brick when I saw the preview of the classic Batman and Two-Face two-pack. It’s everything I ever wanted from this line and I couldn’t be happier.

Back