Metal Gear Solid collectibles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do any of you guys still collect any of the older MGS memorabilia, by the way? I got a pretty decent haul from DHL today.

I actually found a "sealed" copy of the MGS 1 art book. I had initially suspected that the seller may have resealed this thing, but it's absolutely crisp and there's no off-white discoloration.

51829598123_a119681e21_b.jpg

Fairly new premium packages for MGS 2 and MGS 3 Subsistence. I'd take out the games, but I'm too lazy to open up the boxes again.

51829597983_d6ee8e0180_b.jpg

51829824049_db0c2853ca_b.jpg

I also found this phone card, with a neat message card.

51829827399_f94733040e_b.jpg

51829601923_fed4d4733b_b.jpg

51829601908_2835499607_b.jpg
[/url]

51829827414_25cc443774_b.jpg
I would if people weren't charging insane prices for it lol, very cool haul nontheless, consider me jealous. :lol

Updated head sculpt from zii.production
https://www.instagram.com/p/CY2s0s7prpP/
I think the likeness on this one is worse than their prototype, they're trying to make it too realistic.
No way dude :lol. The Dabbs sculpt was based on the The Document of MGS 2 3D renders of Snake, and it took many hours or rendering just to get it right. It was (and still is) the most game accurate-sculpt of MGS 2 Snake that you can find. Although, the Young Snake model in MGS 4 would be good for an update, I think.

I honestly can't wait to see what Lim has planned for this.
Snake has a very iconic face so trying to make it 100% realistic won't work, there has to be a balance between realism and the game design, our goal is to enhance the original game model and give it some more realistic features while still keeping all the familiar traits that make up Solid's face.

A 3d model yes, but only ever seen on a 2d screen. That transition made the features (to me) look jarring.
Objectively speaking, it may be a very good sculpt and I’m just an outlier in thinking it doesn’t.
Do you have some clearer photos? I couldn’t find many at all.

I would if people weren't charging insane prices for it lol, very cool haul nontheless, consider me jealous. :lol

Thanks! :lol I'm trying to clear up this old backlog of MGS collectibles. I usually try to find things on sale, but generally speaking, the prices are still pretty high for MGS items even decades later.

I think the likeness on this one is worse than their prototype, they're trying to make it too realistic.

Snake has a very iconic face so trying to make it 100% realistic won't work, there has to be a balance between realism and the game design, our goal is to enhance the original game model and give it some more realistic features while still keeping all the familiar traits that make up Solid's face.

That's a very good and practical approach, can't wait to see what you're coming up with!

Mentioning Zii, their sculpt looks weird. On one hand, it looks like they used the MGS 3DS render as a basis - which is arguably, the worst, and most recycled render used for both Big Boss and Snake. But, it also reminds me a bit of the prototype pictures of Headplay's old release from 2009. The suit also seems too textured, and the entire torso area seems to lack Snake's muscular definition from the game. I'm not really sure what they're trying to accomplish with this release.

A 3d model yes, but only ever seen on a 2d screen. That transition made the features (to me) look jarring.
Objectively speaking, it may be a very good sculpt and I’m just an outlier in thinking it doesn’t.
Do you have some clearer photos? I couldn’t find many at all.

Well, Snake has a detailed 3D character model in MGS 2, and in The Document of MGS 2, you can see him at any angle.

I'll try to find some of Frank Jaeger's old pics for you. But, if not, I'll take some of my own figure for reference. It's a very old sculpt from an old commission, so that's why you're not finding a lot of pictures.

Thanks! :lol I'm trying to clear up this old backlog of MGS collectibles. I usually try to find things on sale, but generally speaking, the prices are still pretty high for MGS items even decades later.

That's a very good and practical approach, can't wait to see what you're coming up with!

Mentioning Zii, their sculpt looks weird. On one hand, it looks like they used the MGS 3DS render as a basis - which is arguably, the worst, and most recycled render used for both Big Boss and Snake. But, it also reminds me a bit of the prototype pictures of Headplay's old release from 2009. The suit also seems too textured, and the entire torso area seems to lack Snake's muscular definition from the game. I'm not really sure what they're trying to accomplish with this release.
yup, I'm always paying attention to local market to see if I may come across some goodies, sadly trying to order anything from overseas can be a pain in the ass,

Yeah, even Hot Toys used the 3DS character model as reference for their sculpt back in the day, it's definitely my least favorite of all the models, when it comes to the body and suit I think it's hard to replicate the musculature with an actuall rubber suit over a stock body, you have to go the Hot Toys spider man route where you put a padded suit over a body structure in order to achieve the desired effect, but to be honest I never thought he was that muscular in Sons of Liberty, he looked really slender compared to all his other appearances.

His skeletal-muscular definition's there, but you probably won't see it clearly, because technological limitations from the PS2. KojiPro had to make use of lighting and shading to have the same effect as complex polygons. But, Snake definitely has a six-pack, pecs, biceps, as well as back and leg muscles. You can also see his collar bone and definition of the ligaments around his neck. Not to mention, huge ass cheeks.

That said, I think even the body of the Scaletta figure (despite its issues) seemed a lot more toned and accurate than Zii's.

But, whatever you're able to accomplish would be fine, and I'm sure you'll knock it out of the park with your release :duff.

(taken from Google).

maxresdefault.jpg

ge6wxixn56lthp4yptyx.png

Nice stuff there, very jelly of that mgs1 art book.

Thanks! I've never actually seen one of these sealed, so it was a surprise when I found it. The MGS 1 art book is great, though, and it has some neat extras (like a fold-out Meryl poster and an interview with Shinkawa) that weren't included in the "Art of Metal Gear Solid" (two-book) set that was released several years ago. The pages are also bigger in the MGS 1 book and so is the artwork. Would highly recommend picking one up, even used.

Hey guys, pix of some customs I did a while back. I just threw these on ebay if anyone is interested. Feel free to message me for details.

Attachments

• 20220120_142630.jpg
    20220120_142630.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 20220120_142607.jpg
    20220120_142607.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 20220120_142541.jpg
    20220120_142541.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 49
Yikes! Hate to say it, but that's an odd design. I think a classic Big Boss face (instead of Venom) with a trench coat would've been better. The official sketches of Big Boss from "The Art of Metal Gear Solid" looks classy:

6f55178c1e94e23b916c82a485fe3184.jpg

That figure on the other hand, looks like a generic movie guy.

Last edited:
yes. he dies in metal gear 1.
that design is super impractical and probably uncomfortable, but i think it's really really cool.

also, for the "real" big boss in trenchcoat, on scaletta instagram there are other photos, and one is this 👀

272111550_109871111595107_8947495003547464913_n.jpg

Back