Medicom Kaneda and bike

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was my understanding as well, but it IS possible they changed or added something in the packaging to give it more protection.

I just re-boxed my original edition bike, and all the individual pieces had plastic bags to go over them and then slots in the styrofoam. The bike seat, however, had zero additional protection to it, unless I've somehow lost it over the years but I doubt that.

If there is a special plastic cover for the seat, it's probably a new addition to the revival edition.

Yeah, I have one of the first release bikes and there is no seat protection plastic.

I've never heard of it before or seen pictures of it, some pics would be... delightful.

I just saw a mint condition Wonder Fest Kaneda sell on yahoo auctions for about $300. That's insane. Somebody just got the bargain of a lifetime.

A year ago and I'd have bid on it....it could have been me. But not now. I can't even afford $25 Hasbro figures, let alone a holy grail item.

Ugh. Life sucks. Oh well....life is a little brighter for one very lucky Japanese guy right now. Unless he's just gonna try to flip it like a scumbag.

i-img1200x900-1661501413ak0dsd97296.jpg
i-img900x1200-1661501429oydh0a502953.jpg
i-img900x1200-1661501432uxsjet8336.jpg
i-img1200x900-1661501424v3gbvw166725.jpg

A few years ago, I actually touched one of these with my own hands at a toy store in Tokyo. It was behind the glass and I asked the guy to open it for me. It was cheaper than usual cause parts were broken and there was a bad stain on the face. I considered it, cause I knew I could replace a broken body, but I wasn't sure about the stain. I ended up passing and it was gone the next time I looked. I've regretted passing on it ever since. Only 300 of these exist. I doubt I'll ever own one.

Kaneda bike for $500 still cant afford it... How much was the 1st release retail for?

So that outfit isnt the same pleather type material on these other kaneda figures?

No, the Wonder Fest 2001 figure used some different kind of material cause here it is over 20 years later and every sample I've seen still holds up, whereas the 2010 Kaneda is in sorry shape no matter how carefully it was handled.

Kaneda bike for $500 still cant afford it... How much was the 1st release retail for?

I believe the original retail for the 1st release was 39,999 yen. That was 2010, no? The first production run sold out immediately, and they got a second batch out right away around the end of 2010. That one managed to linger a bit, and I imagine due to the size of the box, the price was drastically reduced on amazon japan. I grabbed mine in early 2011 for less than 25,000 yen from amazon and that included (local) shipping.

The revival version has been criminally overpriced right from the start, but that's just the nature of everything these days.

The reason it's 1/15 is cause it's essentially a straight bootleg of the 2004 Soul of Popynica bike that Bandai released, with the exception of it lighting up.

I absolutely love this toy. It's one of the best in my entire collection, but it IS frustratingly SMALL. Not even small-ish figures like SHF Deadpool can fit in this thing:

Deadpool bike (1).JPG

I might have been willing to spend gross amounts of money on a bootleg if it had an amazing fully-articulated Kaneda figure. But this one seems to be just a retooling of the original 2004 figure as well, with a new head. (The head kinda reminds me of my niece, which is too disturbing to have on my shelf!)

Also, the figure is supposedly cast in resin with the head and arms held on with magnets.

That's gonna be a big pass from me!

Still holding out hope for getting a 1/12 scale bike with a really, really good Kaneda figure someday!

The reason it's 1/15 is cause it's essentially a straight bootleg of the 2004 Soul of Popynica bike that Bandai released, with the exception of it lighting up.

I absolutely love this toy. It's one of the best in my entire collection, but it IS frustratingly SMALL. Not even small-ish figures like SHF Deadpool can fit in this thing:

View attachment 602691

I might have been willing to spend gross amounts of money on a bootleg if it had an amazing fully-articulated Kaneda figure. But this one seems to be just a retooling of the original 2004 figure as well, with a new head. (The head kinda reminds me of my niece, which is too disturbing to have on my shelf!)

Also, the figure is supposedly cast in resin with the head and arms held on with magnets.

That's gonna be a big pass from me!

Still holding out hope for getting a 1/12 scale bike with a really, really good Kaneda figure someday!
I always thought the Bandai SOC PX-03 was 1/12 scale. I mean the bike is about the half size of 1/6?
Japanese retailers say so.
BandaiSize.JPG

It's undersized. Even "small" 1/12 figures like Figma and SHF are too big for it. The McFarlane Kaneda bike absolutely dwarfs it.

I never minded the size though cause it's just a fantastic representation of the bike, down to every detail. I even prefer it to the 1/6 version just cause it's more manageable, whereas the big one is too big to "handle" a lot.

Here's a pic I took forever ago with the three Bandai Kaneda bikes together. You can see that the 2004 one isn't even close to "half size" of the big one!

3bandais.jpg

And here's someone else's pic that also shows the three official Bandai toys, but his 1/6 Kaneda is in a custom outfit. He also has some smaller bikes that are also customs, but it gives a good sense of scale. The biggest problem with the 2004 bike has always been the Kaneda figure. He's a bit overscaled and he's not poseable.

FIlLKo4aMAg5_d_.jpg

One more pic....this one shows the McFarlane next to the Bandai, and then a bootleg toy, and then some of the Kaiyodo capsule figures.

McFarlane's bike is bigger, but it can't hold a candle to the accuracy of Bandai.

bikes.jpg

One more pic....this one shows the McFarlane next to the Bandai, and then a bootleg toy, and then some of the Kaiyodo capsule figures.

McFarlane's bike is bigger, but it can't hold a candle to the accuracy of Bandai.

View attachment 602715
So you're saying officially it's 1/12 scale, but Bandai made it smaller than it should be.
It's understandable. They do that a lot.
Most of their 1/6 scale figures are not actually 1/6 scale - but just 12 inch figures. - Including this Kaneda figure.

It says right on the box "1/12 scale Kaneda's motorcycle" but like you said, it seems like every company out there has their own idea of what 1/12 really is!

All of the stuff Hasbro sells as "1/12" like Marvel Legends and Star Wars Black Series are definitely larger than 1/12, They would look ridiculous crammed onto this bike, but would look OK on the McFarlane bike.

The only figures that really seem to fit on this one are 4 inch figures, and they're too small. I don't know what Bandai's intentions were, but it's possible that this thing just ended up being closer to 1/15 than 1/12.

If any company were to make my dream action figure line, (fully articulated AKIRA figures in a true 1/12 scale), whether it's SHF or Figma or MAFEX, they'd almost certainly need to make a new bike. I love this bike but it's been out of production for well over 15 years now and commands a hefty price on the aftermarket.

My other dream line would be a line of all the motorcycles from the movie, with limited articulated rider figures. Maybe around the size of M.A.S.K. figures, if you remember those. In addition to Kaneda's bike, you can do Tetsuo, Yamagata, Kai, and of course Joker and some Clowns. That would be freaking AMAZING. I wonder if some company has approached Otomo about something like that over the years. He's notoriously difficult to work with. He just has very little interest in merchandising, and finds the whole thing to be a bother and a waste of his time. It's why I don't hold my breath for new AKIRA stuff to ever come out....we should be grateful for the stuff that managed to get produced!

Back