Medicom Kaneda and bike

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone else buy lifesize stickers like in the anime and sticker up their red bicycle and make "nrrreeeeooom" noises when you ride it?

Uhhh....me neither.

How durable is the kickstand over time? I'd prefer to use it but have had kickstands of other types of models end up breaking.

i see, are they fragile? as i believe water decal tears easily, did you apply mark setter and softener? i read top coating it will seal off the decals but not sure anyone willing to try that.

Nope, I'd had some experience previously with water decals, I would recommend using craft knives to set accurately and wash the pieces with warm soapy water beforehand. Use filtered water. That's it. No setter or softener.

How durable is the kickstand over time? I'd prefer to use it but have had kickstands of other types of models end up breaking.

No idea. It's diecast metal, but it's small. I've never used it. I just use the small round plastic piece that's included to hold the middle of the bike up. Never had any problems with that.

Finally purchased one of these bikes, never thought I'd own this thing. Its pretty impressive in hand, no Kaneda figure though. I'll have to keep an eye out for a cheap one eventually. . . Use to own the 1/12 version years ago, but sold it off when I sold all my Akira books.

Strange. The bike is not on Sideshow's site anymore, and Hobby Link Japan have taken it down also. Did I miss something?

I've ordered the revival version as a back up / custom project, a good while ago, but the site I've ordered it from have an October deliver date, which I find pretty late. I was looking for alternatives, and so I saw that the bike isn't available from SSC & HLJ anymore. SSC usually has a wait list, but not this time it seems.

Here's my original from waaaay back. Had it in the box for many years, until I found a display case worthy enough to put it on display (ModuCase)
W2GTD_6373.jpg
WGTD_6363-b.jpg
GTD_3711-LR.jpg

Strange. The bike is not on Sideshow's site anymore, and Hobby Link Japan have taken it down also. Did I miss something?

I've ordered the revival version as a back up / custom project, a good while ago, but the site I've ordered it from have an October deliver date, which I find pretty late. I was looking for alternatives, and so I saw that the bike isn't available from SSC & HLJ anymore. SSC usually has a wait list, but not this time it seems.

Here's my original from waaaay back. Had it in the box for many years, until I found a display case worthy enough to put it on display (ModuCase)View attachment 534516View attachment 534517View attachment 534519.
Amazing bike and amazing case. love the Panzer cop standing at the corner. But has the pleather on the vest deteriorated?

Amazing bike and amazing case. love the Panzer cop standing at the corner. But has the pleather on the vest deteriorated?

Thank you.
Here's a picture I took about two years ago, when I filled my display case. The figure had been boxed up for about 8 years at that point. It was fresh as on the day I had received it. I checked again today, after 2 years on display, and it's still in good shape.
The Suit of the 'Ichi The Killer' figure (in the back, black suit and right of Raiden) on the other hand, which is a much much older Medicom figure (around 2005 maybe?) crumbled apart instantly when I took it out of the box, which had been sealed and opened by me for the first time in 2008.
I think climate has a lot to do with it. A damp climate is not good for these figures.

Attachments

• Kaneda Pleather.jpg
    Kaneda Pleather.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 62
Thank you.
Here's a picture I took about two years ago, when I filled my display case. The figure had been boxed up for about 8 years at that point. It was fresh as on the day I had received it. I checked again today, after 2 years on display, and it's still in good shape.
The Suit of the 'Ichi The Killer' figure (in the back, black suit and right of Raiden) on the other hand, which is a much much older Medicom figure (around 2005 maybe?) crumbled apart instantly when I took it out of the box, which had been sealed and opened by me for the first time in 2008.
I think climate has a lot to do with it. A damp climate is not good for these figures.
what about the Red Spectacle Panzer Cop? I got rid of the pleather on the vest few years ago but had to dye it black because the backing cloth was like light brown or something...

what about the Red Spectacle Panzer Cop? I got rid of the pleather on the vest few years ago but had to dye it black because the backing cloth was like light brown or something...
Oh, you were asking about the Kerberos. Sorry, my mistake. There’s no pleather on that one. It’s the Medicom Jin roh 20th anniversary RAH. At the time of releases perhaps these were looked down on by some, but no issues over the years here.

Attachments

• 19BB5244-5FC2-44E3-B6A5-B2AE6FFD6E4F.jpeg
    19BB5244-5FC2-44E3-B6A5-B2AE6FFD6E4F.jpeg
    154.5 KB · Views: 70
Oh, you were asking about the Kerberos. Sorry, my mistake. There’s no pleather on that one. It’s the Medicom Jin roh 20th anniversary RAH. At the time of releases perhaps these were looked down on by some, but no issues over the years here.
i am 100% sure there is a pleather under his chest armor on the Red Spectacles, you can still see it as it is part of his collar and side of the chest. This is the only Panzer Cop that has pleather out of all Medicom's release (The other 2 older Live actions + Jin-Roh)

Also the belts that wraps around the armors all over the body (arm/shoulder/waist/leg) are pleather. Those don't have fabric backing so they just broke off i had to replace them with real leather and some 1/6 belt buckles.

i am 100% sure there is a pleather under his chest armor on the Red Spectacles, you can still see it as it is part of his collar and side of the chest. This is the only Panzer Cop that has pleather out of all Medicom's release (The other 2 older Live actions + Jin-Roh)

Also the belts that wraps around the armors all over the body (arm/shoulder/waist/leg) are pleather. Those don't have fabric backing so they just broke off i had to replace them with real leather and some 1/6 belt buckles.
I checked and you are absolutely right. Pleather on the chest is fine here, but one of the straps for the armor is pealing on mine.

I checked and you are absolutely right. Pleather on the chest is fine here, but one of the straps for the armor is pealing on mine.
chances are the vest is done just don't touch it. for me i noticed the edge of the collar was flaking so i removed them altogether. the fabric is light brown so you will have to dye them black once that happens. replacing them with real leather is quite easy just get a piece of thin leather scrap and some 1/6 metal buckles and use leather glue... eventually the belts holding the side body armors will break and fall down.

If I were a millionaire I'd re-box my Kaneda and Bike and just start over with the brand new re-release.

I am not a millionaire. Far, far from it.

Honestly, my bike looks good and it's held up just fine over the last decade. Tires are bit "grey" but that's my only complaint, along with the small cracks on the rubber handlebars. Not really worth spending about $600 to upgrade.

Kaneda though....figure's great, accessories are great. Just the outfit. It hasn't crumbled to bits at all; just some stress here and there. Worst part is the over all color is just kind of PINK and not red.

I'd really like to take a chance and get one of the custom jacket and pants set I see on ebay, but it's such a crapshoot ordering anything from China/Hong Kong. All mine really needs is replacement pants and a jacket that's in that nice original bright red color. Again....not worth dropping $300 for a brand new figure, which are still available here in Japan.

OR.....I could just accept that this is what happens due to the passage of time and just live with it the way things are.

if i am rich i will get someone to build a real running Kaneda Bike, and maybe a 1:! Mannequin with Kaneda sculpt and full real leather outfits.

if i am rich but not that rich i will get someone to tailor make the 1/6 leather suits in real leather.

but i am not rich thus i only have an aging 1/6 Kaneda...

If I were a millionaire I'd re-box my Kaneda and Bike and just start over with the brand new re-release.

I am not a millionaire. Far, far from it.

Honestly, my bike looks good and it's held up just fine over the last decade. Tires are bit "grey" but that's my only complaint, along with the small cracks on the rubber handlebars. Not really worth spending about $600 to upgrade.

Kaneda though....figure's great, accessories are great. Just the outfit. It hasn't crumbled to bits at all; just some stress here and there. Worst part is the over all color is just kind of PINK and not red.

I'd really like to take a chance and get one of the custom jacket and pants set I see on ebay, but it's such a crapshoot ordering anything from China/Hong Kong. All mine really needs is replacement pants and a jacket that's in that nice original bright red color. Again....not worth dropping $300 for a brand new figure, which are still available here in Japan.

OR.....I could just accept that this is what happens due to the passage of time and just live with it the way things are.

Review of Akira in Japanese.

Don't know if I want to get a copy until the issues of the suit is fixed.

The figure is really just an accessory for the bike. He doesn't look very good in any position while standing, probably due to the poor tailoring of the suit. He looks just fine riding the bike though.

Also, not sure if it's been mentioned, but it needs to be repeated: the Medicom body is incredibly cheap and fragile. The ankles especially can snap if you look at them wrong. It's downright criminal what they charge for such crappy materials, but it's AKIRA, so they know we'll pay it cause we're suckers. You can't have the bike without Kaneda, and you really don't want JUST Kaneda without the bike.

Yeah, the figure in no way is worth what they are charging, but picked it up so I can put it on the bike.

Back