Action Figure McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really hope McFarlane loses the DC license, it sucks if you enjoy a DC movie your stuck with terrible McFarlane figures domestically and have to hope Mafex or S.H.Figuarts make them and then end up paying high import prices.
So which toy company do you think that could do better at that price point?

So which toy company do you think that could do better at that price point?
If Hasbro applied the same level of quality that they do to their G.I. Joe Classified series, they’d be pretty good. I often see price point as an excuse for the shortcomings of the McFarlane figures, but I’d rather spend $5-10 extra dollars and get a figure that doesn’t look gangly with poor sculpting and paint apps.

The figures are generally sculpted excellently but chopped up poorly for articulation. They don’t seem to sculpt them with any kind of articulation in mind. Hasbro does much better at that but relies on reusing bucks over and over again whereas McFarlane puts out lots of new, unique sculpts with little chance of reuse, although there certainly has been.

I would agree the paint work still leaves much to be desired. It’s probably what has been suffering most to keep the line at $20. I think investing into the face printing Hasbro and Neca have been doing would really help. I know he tried with stranger things and it went horribly but that was in the very early days of face printing. It’s been much better lately.

The-Batman-Batman-02.jpg

The-Batman-Catwoman-02.jpg

The-Batman-Riddler-01.jpg

The-Batman-Batcycle-06.jpg

Why is Batman looking to the side

The figures are generally sculpted excellently but chopped up poorly for articulation. They don’t seem to sculpt them with any kind of articulation in mind. Hasbro does much better at that but relies on reusing bucks over and over again whereas McFarlane puts out lots of new, unique sculpts with little chance of reuse, although there certainly has been.

I would agree the paint work still leaves much to be desired. It’s probably what has been suffering most to keep the line at $20. I think investing into the face printing Hasbro and Neca have been doing would really help. I know he tried with stranger things and it went horribly but that was in the very early days of face printing. It’s been much better lately.
You know what, you’re right on the reused bucks for Joe Classified, I didn’t take that into consideration.

Personally, I’d rather see him lower or slow his output and focus on giving higher quality versions of characters, even if they cost a few more bucks. Aside from the Classified series, which to me is the pinnacle of western mass market figures, the newest Captain America and classic Dr. Strange figures from Legends show what can be accomplished at this scale and price point, though there are a LOT of stinkers in that line.

I’ve only recently got into the line, but the recent SW Black Series figures are pretty impressive too (Classified and BS both use the face printing you mentioned pretty nicely), and have a good blend of original and intelligently reused parts - but again compromises as well.

So I got the McRebirth Superman today and did a little switcharooney. I really like it, but I wish I could get the dumb cape off of them and switch those too. :unsure: I looked at some YouTube vids, but they say to cut the cape off. Any better tips?
20211112_145429(1).jpg

20211112_150556(1).jpg
20211112_150357(1).jpg

You are right, that thing is hideous…I think about what Mcfarlane Toys used to produce in the mid 2000s and it almost makes me want to weep.

You’d think in a world where digital sculpting is now the standard that getting character models directly from the game manufacturer would be an easy and logical starting point for figures, statues, etc for accuracy.

Back