McFarlane Toys 7" Star Trek figures (TOS, TNG and beyond...)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. If we knew that Burnham and Spock were actually coming and had seen prototypes, I'd be excited. I want a lot of Discovery figures, because we haven't seen them. Give me a Janeway. An Odo. A Quark. Figures we haven't seen done over and over again. I'll pick these two up to support the line when I see them, but it's still annoying.

It's too bad they made this Picard so specifically in a uniform that was only around for 6 episodes, otherwise the phaser would be correct right? If we said he was a later-season Picard? It's hard to make out, but it looks like a TNG phaser - just the curved handle one.

The curved-handle one didn't show up until DS9 Season 3/Voyager Season 2/First Contact. I assume they were redesigned for First Contact, but not sure where they showed up first. They NEVER appeared on TNG.

I wonder if there's a style guide somewhere that's incorrect, though, because QMX's release had the same problem - TNG Picard with the newer-style phaser.

You're right, though, that that particular uniform Picard is wearing was only in use in the first handful of episodes of season 3. Apparently they hurt the actor's backs really bad. On a side note, I just went back and looked at pics, and it looks like while they are two piece (jacket/pants) they don't have the "belt" like the later uniforms did. So this one is just off all around lol.

Last edited:
Ah, yeah, you're right. The curved handle or "boomerang" phaser was first seen in First Contact, I think. I wonder if people are (like I did) Googling TNG Phaser and seeing this graphic, which IIRC might have been done for a Star Trek Collector magazine back in the day. At least, the style looks similar to those. And if they don't know better (or just forgot like I did) might think this means the phaser was used on TNG. I always assumed QMX ended up with that Phaser because we were originally getting a First Contact Picard from them, and either it was already tooled or they forgot to change it to the straight-handle phaser. But it happening here too is odd. But, I mean, going with the early season 3 uniform is also odd.

star-trek-tng-type-i-ii-phaser.jpg

The curved-handle one didn't show up until DS9 Season 3/Voyager Season 2/First Contact. I assume they were redesigned for First Contact, but not sure where they showed up first. They NEVER appeared on TNG.

I wonder if there's a style guide somewhere that's incorrect, though, because QMX's release had the same problem - TNG Picard with the newer-style phaser.

You're right, though, that that particular uniform Picard is wearing was only in use in the first handful of episodes of season 3. Apparently they hurt the actor's backs really bad. On a side note, I just went back and looked at pics, and it looks like while they are two piece (jacket/pants) they don't have the "belt" like the later uniforms did. So this one is just off all around lol.

My guess for what happened with the QMX Picard, IIRC he was first developed in the First Contact uniform, and the phaser stayed when they changed the uniform. However, the exclusive was the correct phaser rifle for the series.... perhaps they just didn't want to retool the phaser.... I suppose it's still anyone's guess.

Ah, yeah, you're right. The curved handle or "boomerang" phaser was first seen in First Contact, I think. I wonder if people are (like I did) Googling TNG Phaser and seeing this graphic, which IIRC might have been done for a Star Trek Collector magazine back in the day. At least, the style looks similar to those. And if they don't know better (or just forgot like I did) might think this means the phaser was used on TNG. I always assumed QMX ended up with that Phaser because we were originally getting a First Contact Picard from them, and either it was already tooled or they forgot to change it to the straight-handle phaser. But it happening here too is odd. But, I mean, going with the early season 3 uniform is also odd.

View attachment 424912

If I remember correctly, the nicknames were
#1 The Shaver Phaser
#2 The Dustbuster Phaser
#3 & #4 were the Cobra Phasers

My guess for what happened with the QMX Picard, IIRC he was first developed in the First Contact uniform, and the phaser stayed when they changed the uniform. However, the exclusive was the correct phaser rifle for the series.... perhaps they just didn't want to retool the phaser.... I suppose it's still anyone's guess.

This is the first time I hear of QMX originally planning to make a First Contact Picard, but it makes so much sense. I always got the impression of his likeness representing an older, feature films Picard instead of a TNG series version.

This is the first time I hear of QMX originally planning to make a First Contact Picard, but it makes so much sense. I always got the impression of his likeness representing an older, feature films Picard instead of a TNG series version.

When they first started shopping him around toy shows, he was in the FC uniform. This was the first id heard of QMX getting the licence, and I think also before they'd announced Kirk and Spock, but I could be a bit out with my timings there. I'm sure there are others around that can corroborate. (Or tell me I'm spouting nonsense!)

Edit: found the pic I was thinking of and it's the very first image on Picard's own thread here!

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...qmx-1-6-star-trek-contact-captain-picard.html

And Boy have QMX's tailoring come on in leaps and bounds since that proto!

When they first started shopping him around toy shows, he was in the FC uniform. This was the first id heard of QMX getting the licence, and I think also before they'd announced Kirk and Spock, but I could be a bit out with my timings there. I'm sure there are others around that can corroborate. (Or tell me I'm spouting nonsense!)

Edit: found the pic I was thinking of and it's the very first image on Picard's own thread here!

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...qmx-1-6-star-trek-contact-captain-picard.html

And Boy have QMX's tailoring come on in leaps and bounds since that proto!

Yup, that was the original plan...Data was originally shown in the First Contact uniform as well, with an alternate damaged headsculpt. I could be wrong, though, but I believe those were Nanjin's pre-QMX prototypes.

Ok, so I got these guys on Sunday (seriously, I was shocked) and was overall very pleasantly surprised!

My mini-review:

Packaging: I'm not in love with this new, generic bright-blue Star Trek color scheme, but that's coming from CBS, not McFarlane, so I can't blame them for it. But otherwise, I like it. They're fairly small, and there's very little waste. The card fronts are customized with a pic of the character and a different accent color (red for Picard, gold for Kirk), which is nice. The backs are the same/generic, and multilingual, but show off both figures well.

The only complaint I have here is that they're not collector friendly. There's one rubber band around the waste (which fortunately is soft and doesn't damage the figure) but there's no way to remove it easily without cutting it. The sides of the plastic shell are taped to the back - nice - but the top and bottom are glued, so you still have to damage the plastic to remove them. Ah well.

Sculpt: We've already talked about the fact that Picard doesn't look quite like Patrick Stewart. But in hand, it's a bit better. Kirk is spot on. The bodies are also quite good and close to how the character would be - Kirk has his "hunch" while Picard is ramrod straight. In photos, Kirk's neck looks long, but it's fine inhand.

A couple oddities on Picard, though. As mentioned already, he's got the two lines down the front of his uniform that only appeared in a handful of episodes at the beginning of season 3. Those uniforms also didn't have the built-in jacket belt, so this is technically a hodgepodge of two uniforms. A second oddity appears on the back of the jacket - the bottom black section is straight across, instead of up at an angle. And the pants are missing the department stripe along the "V" near the boots (EDIT: I was reminded by Oxnard that that was only true in the season 1-2 uniforms...my mistake!). These things are ones no one would notice but a huge fan (although it's worth noting that Playmates got them right 25 years ago...just saying).

Articulation: Pretty great overall. Ball joint neck, elbows, knees, and ankles. Cut waist. Wrist pegs that are basically shrunk-down Hot Toys-style pegs. The shoulders are the newer standard style restricted ball joint (if you have the DST figures, think of the shoulders on the TNG/DS9 line). The legs are odd - there're two peg joints (think of the old Playmates elbows), one that goes in-out and one that goes up-down. They're a bit odd at first, but they do a good job, and they look a lot better than ball joints.

The only downside to the articulation for me is that in areas where the articulation would hinder sculpt, they favored sculpt. I agree with the decision, but it does detract from poseability. All the wrist pegs only allow for slight rocker movement because the long shirts fall over the wrists. Picard's ankles only have slight articulation because of the way the pants lay. And most importantly, Kirk loses his waist swivel completely. It's there, but the shirt blocks it from even the slightest turn.

Paint: Great. Honestly rivals Mezco's, it's THAT good. I'm really impressed. No stray lines, everything straight. I did have a little slop on both insignias, but they're really minor. Both the red sections on Picard and yellow on Kirk have highlighting when they didn't need to bother, and the boots are shined. Really an A+ job, especially at this price point.

Accessories: Kirk comes with a phaser, communicator, and phaser rifle. The communicator fits nicely in his left, while the phaser fits well in his right. He also has a replacement right hand for the phaser rifle handle, which works well. He holds everything great. The phaser is oversized for some reason as Sybeck mentioned earlier, but the communicator and rifle seem right.

A couple nits on the rifle for me - First off, it's mirrored on the left/right sides, which, as fans of the prop know, is not correct - the controls were different on either side. Also, the interior gold pipes should be ribbed, not smooth (well, the gold part was ribbed inside a smooth clear shell, anyway). They made the interior gold portion movable, which is a nice nod to the prop, but it's really loose, and is just molded in color and not painted like everything else on both figures, so it feels cheap by comparison.

Picard comes with the Ressican flute (no box) and the incorrect First Contact-style phaser. The phaser fits in his right and the flute in his left hand. There's also an additional right "Engage" hand, which is a nice touch.

The big problem here for me is that I hate it when a figure comes with an accessory that they can't use properly. The articulation doesn't allow for Picard to play the flute. He can hold it in both hands awkwardly in front of his chest, but that's it. I don't see myself ever displaying him with it. It also feels like Kirk gets so much more than he does. Couldn't we have gotten a tricorder instead, and a desktop monitor? Or a cup of earl grey? Those seem like better choices based on the articulation.

They both come with round stands, with an embossed insignia and the words "Star Trek" on it in TOS font. There's pegs that fit into holes on the base of the feet like Playmates figures did. Again, Picard seems shortchanged here - couldn't it have the TNG logo instead?

All in all, I really like these, complaints aside. At this price point, they're both AMAZING and I wouldn't miss them if you're on the fence. But it does feel as though Picard is playing second fiddle to Kirk - the sculpts not as good, he doesn't come with as much, his stand isn't TNG-related, his uniform isn't quite right. Aside from the waist articulation, Picard's lagging behind in every category. He's still a great figure - but Kirk is just a bit better in every possible way.

Last edited:
These have just shown up in the uk, unfortunately, I can't bite until payday and it's hard watching the online numbers slowly whittle down before I can spare the cash.

One small note on the Picard, The department stripes were only above the boots on the Season 1/2 spandex jumpsuits. They were plain black from S3 onwards. So technically the figure is correct.

Fantastic mini review Cap'n. Although it is making the wait for payday much, much harder!

These have just shown up in the uk, unfortunately, I can't bite until payday and it's hard watching the online numbers slowly whittle down before I can spare the cash.

One small note on the Picard, The department stripes were only above the boots on the Season 1/2 spandex jumpsuits. They were plain black from S3 onwards. So technically the figure is correct.

Fantastic mini review Cap'n. Although it is making the wait for payday much, much harder!

Ouch. I had that so ingrained in my head from the Playmates days that I didn't even bother checking on it. Thanks for the heads up :)

Sold a few odds and ends on eBay, and was able to treat myself to Jim. He should be arriving tomorrow. Here's hoping I don't get burned on another Trek line. I'm going to leave Picard until I can look at one in person. I may change my mind on him, I may not. I'm very torn between not having a vast amount of disposable income, and wanting to support the line to make sure we get more.

Sold a few odds and ends on eBay, and was able to treat myself to Jim. He should be arriving tomorrow. Here's hoping I don't get burned on another Trek line. I'm going to leave Picard until I can look at one in person. I may change my mind on him, I may not. I'm very torn between not having a vast amount of disposable income, and wanting to support the line to make sure we get more.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. The only pieces that are meh on him are the oversized phaser and the oddly cheap middle on the rifle, but if you have any DST figures lying around that should be remedied easily. The figure itself is fantastic.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to Jim's arrival! Just got my order in by the skin of my teeth too, Amazon UK sold out of Kirk not long after I ordered. They still have a few Picards, but I don't want to buy him sight unseen. (Although the more I hear of him being better in hand is making it hard to resist)

I got both Kirk and Picard and think they are great. They really look amazing in person and are so much better than anything Diamond Select ever put out. Here's hoping the line goes on for a long time.

Soooo.... nothing new at toyfair. That doesn't look good for this line.

Yep as I stare at my lonely Kirk and Picard figures...let this be a warning to any DC or Potter fans who are feeling excited about this week's announcements from McFarlane.

I didn't expect this to happen. Or maybe dind't want to admit this could happen. You'd think after so many precedents I should have seen it coming. I think I'll move Kirk and Picard further back on my shelf so it won't be a constant reminder of what we could"ve had and stop thinking about it. I am pissed though.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Back