Mass lay-offs at Mondo, future uncertain.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sad news. I have their Creature from the Black Lagoon and Alfred Hitchcock figures -- great stuff. Never bought any of their posters, but they have some terrific designs out there.

Woof. I wonder how long the toys can hold on. We still have some big releases with MOTU coming out, and plenty more were teased. Hopefully its not a dead line soon.

I wonder if this is a Funko thing or rather a sign of things to come. There's still Bottleneck Gallery for the occasional impulse poster purchase (for now).

Funko has a track record of doing this. They acquired Loungefly, axed the founders and then drastically changed the way they operated. Loungefly is still around, but most would argue the products are not the same quality as before.

I suspect the same thing will happen here with Mondo's toy lines. They'll keep it going, but it will be smaller and specifically curated to whatever Brian wants. The poster division is clearly dead. Ultimately, I think Funko bought them for the music division.

We are headed for a deep recession, if not depression. The data from life insurance companies' actuaries shows that many working-age Americans are either dying, disabled or missing work due to illness more than ever in the history of the country. It's probably true internationally also. I wonder how all this will impact this hobby of ours. Wait a minute. Ultimately who cares about the hobby when something this serious is going on, right?

AI will replace us and we'll all be on UBI living the dream while we wait for HT Bespin Han.

https://www.cbr.com/funko-mondo-posters-continuing-larger-print-runs-broader-scope/
"The Mondo posters will continue, period," he stated, "We feel that making extremely limited runs of posters, most of which are 150 pieces or under, limits access to fans unfairly. Many of these posters are bought with the sole purpose of flipping them at a much higher cost to fans that really want them."

So..... this may be a good thing? Goodness knows there have been a TONNE of Mondo posters I've wanted and couldn't get because of their insanely small numbers and lack of anti-bot measures meaning stocks sell out in a few seconds.

We are headed for a deep recession, if not depression. The data from life insurance companies' actuaries shows that many working-age Americans are either dying, disabled or missing work due to illness more than ever in the history of the country. It's probably true internationally also. I wonder how all this will impact this hobby of ours. Wait a minute. Ultimately who cares about the hobby when something this serious is going on, right?

I told everyone in another thread about six months ago to sell their entire collection and buy more shotgun shells and canned beans.

I was only half kidding to be honest. You can't eat a Hulkbuster if you are starving. You might, however, be able to use it as a weapon for pure blunt force trauma in a fight for more canned beans.

You are right, things are going to get bad out there, and it will likely price more and more people out of the hobby. However, the silver lining to this, there is essentially 20+ years of product that was pumped out and there is enough budget level fodder out there ( We are probably at the 7th gen stage of this hobby overall) for people to enjoy the hobby and love the toys in a more creative fashion. Won't be pure high speed and cutting edge, but the opportunities are there if people want them.

I would be just as happy with my old Dragon Models and BBI stuff from 2004 and have to use more customizing, paint, tweaking, upgrading, futzing around, etc, etc.

But there is no denying it. Hard brutal times are coming for us all. Pass the beans and shotgun shells around I say.

Mondo I hope they live on or sold off. I love their 1/6 scale figures like Magneto. Funko made bad decisions and I seen why...they hired the wrong people on the top, mostly because of the ESG.

We are seeing inflation, recession, depression all happening and then sending money over seas and proxy wars and our currency imploding.

I work as a teacher and what I am seeing is no hiring, only really subbing. This is due to budgets. I cannot land a full time job, meaning no benefits. I am paid well, but I have really had it with the coastal cities. I will be paid less, but at some point, I have to choose lifestyle over incoming implosion. No matter where you live, you are screwed I think, might as well be screwed and be happy.

Hoping for Mondo figures, especially their X-Men line to continue on. That's my selfishness, but I am allowed to be once in a while.

well not everyone live in places where guns are easy to legally own.

so what will happen to countries like japan where the hobby is big and airsofts are legal but real guns are hard to acquire? most people will know how to operate basic guns by playing airsofts.

for most people here i think even if they kept their hobby they still jave enough funds to buy guns and ammos, but it is the city folks who will find it difficult to gain survivor utilities. with an apartment the amount of food you can store is limited. you cant really plant your own food nor can you set up your own power utilities and fences. and things happened so fast since the pandemic you would need to make a decisive decision to move to rural places when the pandemic hit and have 2-3 years to setup and prep up.

i mean most folks probably cant have a prepped vehicle without risking break ins or have their vehicle stolen unless they have a secure garage.
I told everyone in another thread about six months ago to sell their entire collection and buy more shotgun shells and canned beans.

I was only half kidding to be honest. You can't eat a Hulkbuster if you are starving. You might, however, be able to use it as a weapon for pure blunt force trauma in a fight for more canned beans.

You are right, things are going to get bad out there, and it will likely price more and more people out of the hobby. However, the silver lining to this, there is essentially 20+ years of product that was pumped out and there is enough budget level fodder out there ( We are probably at the 7th gen stage of this hobby overall) for people to enjoy the hobby and love the toys in a more creative fashion. Won't be pure high speed and cutting edge, but the opportunities are there if people want them.

I would be just as happy with my old Dragon Models and BBI stuff from 2004 and have to use more customizing, paint, tweaking, upgrading, futzing around, etc, etc.

But there is no denying it. Hard brutal times are coming for us all. Pass the beans and shotgun shells around I say.

Mondo I hope they live on or sold off. I love their 1/6 scale figures like Magneto. Funko made bad decisions and I seen why...they hired the wrong people on the top, mostly because of the ESG.

We are seeing inflation, recession, depression all happening and then sending money over seas and proxy wars and our currency imploding.

I work as a teacher and what I am seeing is no hiring, only really subbing. This is due to budgets. I cannot land a full time job, meaning no benefits. I am paid well, but I have really had it with the coastal cities. I will be paid less, but at some point, I have to choose lifestyle over incoming implosion. No matter where you live, you are screwed I think, might as well be screwed and be happy.

Hoping for Mondo figures, especially their X-Men line to continue on. That's my selfishness, but I am allowed to be once in a while.
this is bound to happen when everyone decided it is best to move production to china. so all the cost of production ends up in china and we know how difficult it is to move money out from china. foreign companies get to keep their 30% profit but the 70% the whole world is paying for ends up in china. this means money available in the international market to circulate becomes lesser, this is why the whole world minus china and few smaller nations are facing economy crisis and this has been going on since 97 and only recently showing how bad it is thanks to the pandemic revealing how fragile world economy state is in.

sure companies make more profit by producing in china due to lower cost, however eventually everyone outside china has to pay the ultimate price.

this is not a political post. if china allowed free in and out flow of funds, world economy would be better as more funds get invested across the world.

we are in a point of no return now. even if we decide to shift production back to us or move elsewhere, the parts and materials still need to come from china and this will jist make your cost go up and become uncompetitive while rest of the conmpanies still hanging onto china.

As Mark Twain may or may not have said, “the reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.”

It’s been about a year since the Mondo layoffs, their figure division still seems to be thriving in spite of the Funko acquisition.

A lot of their best work was released or previewed over the past few months (like Rogue & Teela), although much of that was probably in the works well before Funko stepped in.

I hope Mondo continues their great work, I love all their animated lines - MOTU, X-Men, Batman and Spider-Man.

My wish is we get Mondo TMNT 1987 or the 1990s movies - NECA has a lock on the license but I want the figures in 1:6 scale (animated or movie).

As Mark Twain may or may not have said, “the reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.”

It’s been about a year since the Mondo layoffs, their figure division still seems to be thriving in spite of the Funko acquisition.

A lot of their best work was released or previewed over the past few months (like Rogue & Teela), although much of that was probably in the works well before Funko stepped in.

I hope Mondo continues their great work, I love all their animated lines - MOTU, X-Men, Batman and Spider-Man.

My wish is we get Mondo TMNT 1987 or the 1990s movies - NECA has a lock on the license but I want the figures in 1:6 scale (animated or movie).
The figure line may be living, but what brought Mondo to the dance is dead

Back