Marvel's Antman and the Wasp: Quantumania

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing is over until I get Doom being cool on the big screen.

matthew-broderick-its-over-go-home.gif

If you read the reviews, even the ones that are rated as fresh still slam the movie...

How in the world does a review like that say it's "Fresh".... :dunno

And they make up their own rating scale.. out of 3, out 4, out 5, out of 10.... Some 3/5 a 60 say fresh and some say rotten... Rotten Tomatoes is such a joke...

These certified critics & shills are terrified of Disney ruining them... :lol

But most readers just look at the total % and don't even bother reading any actual comments/reviews before saying it's getting review bombed.. Can't wait to see the audience scores.
TIL more CGI = visually impressive.

Skimming the reviews on rottentomatoes almost every one of them slams the movie for not being funny or fun. I'm confused, hasn't the comedy and quips been one of the number one criticisms against the MCU? But now when a movie introduces a supposedly badass new villain and is more serious it bombs with reviewers?

I wonder if this will be another one where the critics are clueless and the audience score tells the real story.

The common criticisms of the current MCU are pretty varied outside of "comedy and quips" but the nature of the problems tend to centralize in a few consistent places.

Just because AATWQ is a more serious tone doesn't make it a lock to be a well received film.

Paul Rudd plays Paul Rudd. He's a comedian by trade. He plays the goofy guy. If you ask him to chew up scenery in a film like David Fincher's Se7en, then what's going to happen? A heavily serious film starring Paul Rudd is like bringing in your car to a dry cleaners to get your oil changed.

The common complaints are usually the same

- The film feels rushed, because it likely was rushed
- The film is lacking true star power to attract an audience and anchor the film. Many of these "products" are highlighting badly written/badly structured characters played by bad actors ( IronHeart in Wakanda Forever is a glaring example)
- There is a clear degradation in the quality of the CGI and effects, because again, rushed to hit a deadline
- The core story is usually compromised to check certain boxes to prepare for a sequel and set up progression for the next Avengers team up film
- There's usually a young "replacement" force fed, as a potential backdoor pilot, to replace the original core character
- The movies are structured "In Name Only" - Dr Strange's sequel has very little practical Dr Strange in it for example.
- Cast bloat. Can't just have a few core characters, need to have a wide array of call backs, cameos, introductions and side characters. It makes it impossible to develop anyone or any basic narrative when there's this shotgun approach.
- Is openly willing to antagonize up to half the total potential audience. There are a lot of thinly veiled shots taken in the current MCU slate at various factors outside of the fantasyland world. A lot of people just want some escapism and there's nothing wrong with that. What should be entertainment becomes virtual signaling for ESG and becomes an outright lecture. You don't win over people to become legacy fans by trying to shame them for simply loving what they love

The "comedy and quips" was heavily criticized in Thor Love And Thunder, that's for sure. Because the jokes were endless, poorly timed, and lacked balance with a functional narrative.

Feige and the MCU has lost a lot of the benefit of the doubt. Captain Marvel got a pass from many because the MCU overall was so strong and had so much momentum. But that's changed. You can't keep stringing together bombs then expect the benefit of the doubt.

uncut-gems-disagree.gif

Analogies and exaggerated insults are all the fun, especially when they're true...

Alas, I shall comply. I can't get banned and deprive you lot of my ingenious takes on pop culture. What would you poor saps do then?

Besides, I have to go find ways to insult the Adam Warlock guy now...
I'm sure we'll survive. :wave

There are a lot of thinly veiled shots taken in the current MCU slate at various factors outside of the fantasyland world. A lot of people just want some escapism and there's nothing wrong with that. What should be entertainment becomes virtual signaling for ESG and becomes an outright lecture. You don't win over people to become legacy fans by trying to shame them for simply loving what they love

Not disagreeing with you here. No one likes being blatantly preached to especially if they disagree with what they are being told. But Entertainment has been doing that for centuries, it's not a new phenomenon. What's different though is something you hit on in another point. The poor writing. There are countless examples across several mediums of divisive topics being discussed, but the writing was good and nuanced so it was entertaining. In a lot of cases both sides of the argument was shown, and the story actually just left it up to the reader/watcher to come to their own conclusions. I miss the days of when entertainment would make you think by hiding it in a good movie/tv show.

Back