Marvel Studios : X-Men '97 - 2023

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Marvel Studios' X-Men '97, an animated Original Series, coming in 2023 to Disney+

lJDGJ8Q.png

A new generation, and fans of the original decade-defining cartoon, will enjoy this all-new animated series that revisits the iconic era and cast of characters from 1992’s X-Men: The Animated Series. In X-Men ’97 viewers can expect a return to this classic period in X-Men history, with many of the same cast members from its original run!

“This is the first X-Men title produced by Marvel Studios,” emphasizes Winderbaum. “What an amazing first step to reintroduce audiences to the X-Men with a look at one of the most pinnacle eras of the X-Men comics, which was the ‘90s. That iconic style that has its roots in Chris Claremont, and is celebrated in Jim Lee, and then again in ‘The Animated Series.’”

Is it really an “original” series if it’s a continuation of a 25 year old show? These companies have no idea what the word “original” means, same with creative.

I guess I'm the only nerd around that thought the X-Men animated series was trash.

I was so hyped for it before it came out, but the animation sucked so bad, and the character designs were really cheap looking, I just stopped watching it after about 3 episodes.

I preferred the pilot "Pryde of the X-Men" from the late 80s. Better character design and animation.

X-Men 90s just had truly awful, cheap, AKOM animation. Killed it for me.

I guess I'm the only nerd around that thought the X-Men animated series was trash.

I was so hyped for it before it came out, but the animation sucked so bad, and the character designs were really cheap looking, I just stopped watching it after about 3 episodes.

I preferred the pilot "Pryde of the X-Men" from the late 80s. Better character design and animation.

0E31A863-4B8A-4506-BC1D-96FE71494465.jpeg

Seriously, you are the only person I've ever seen to trash that series. That series was gold to me and many others. You actually prefer a forgotten series that has some of the worst voice acting, let alone bad casting, which features a Wolverine with an Australian accent?

e028ec7331dee13a9d44a5dc6f315440.jpg

AKOM is the worst animation studio in the world. Everything they touch turns to poo.

Wolverine is my favorite X-Man, and I've always preferred his brown costume.

AKOM is the worst animation studio in the world. Everything they touch turns to poo.

Wolverine is my favorite X-Man, and I've always preferred his brown costume.

Hopefully the new show will have great animation. That's one thing they can upgrade. Hopefully the show doesn't go too woke.

X-Men:TAS was great even with the sometimes clunky dialogue and voice acting and the dated animation. This show, Spider-Man, Justice League and WildCats were my son's favorites growing up. Curious to see what animation style they go with. Animation technology has come light years since then, so there are an array of options. Just don't change the costumes or lose the big hair. Hopefully Marvel will revisit some of the more iconic storylines like "The Phoenix Saga," "Days of Future Past" and "Apocalypse", which could then lead to "Age of Apocalypse."

Last edited:
This will be interesting. I watched the cartoon back in the day and liked it for the most part, even though I could tell it was different from the comics. Here's hoping they don't shove modern agendas into the thing and stick to a 90's kid show tone.

This seems to be a pretty unpopular opinion, based on what I've seen on the interwebs over the years. But. . .I agree with you.

Loved Pryde of the X-Men, and a big part of it was the quality of the character design and animation (Aussie Wolvie aside). Toei animation knows its stuff.

The Fox X-Men show came out around the same time as Batman: The Animated Series. I was pumped for both, but ended up completely loving Batman, and having no interest in X-Men despite Wolverine being one of my favorite comic characters. Stories may have been good, and it may have gotten the spirit of the X-Men right as far as I know. But the characters looked crummy, the animation was low rent, and the voice acting wasn't anything to write home about. The fact that they ran with the Jim Lee aesthetic for the characters also didn't help. Batman looked classic and classy, while X-Men looked cheesy, and dated in hindsight. Was the same with comics, for me. It took me a long time to learn to appreciate a great story with bad art. But with a cartoon, I can't get over poor technical execution.

Putting that aside, many seem to be nostalgic for this show, so I hope the update on Disney does it justice for their sake.

gosh Everytime you post I picture this

Attachments

• 7F6D9FAA-C2DF-4E80-B604-0480BADAE1BE.jpeg
    7F6D9FAA-C2DF-4E80-B604-0480BADAE1BE.jpeg
    32.6 KB · Views: 42
I've heard Pryde of the X-Men was good, and looking at what I've seen it does look better than the 90's show. It would've been cool to see a revisit new series based on that pilot.

Loved Pryde of the X-Men, and a big part of it was the quality of the character design and animation (Aussie Wolvie aside). Toei animation knows its stuff.

The Fox X-Men show came out around the same time as Batman: The Animated Series. I was pumped for both, but ended up completely loving Batman, and having no interest in X-Men despite Wolverine being one of my favorite comic characters. Stories may have been good, and it may have gotten the spirit of the X-Men right as far as I know. But the characters looked crummy, the animation was low rent
See? This guy gets it!

I still remember when it premiered. I was used to B:TAS and the gorgeous, fluid animation from Japanese studios like Tokyo Movie Shinsha, and I expected at least the same for the X-Men. And I tuned in all excited and we got low frame rate, just above Hanna Barbera level garbage from AKOM, the cheapest studio in Korea.

Ugly animation, ugly character designs, boring stories.....I tuned out and never came back.

gosh Everytime you post I picture this

Yeah. Pretty much. Now get off my lawn.

Didn't they cover every X-Men storyline up to the end of the show? I honestly don't know of any X-Men story that is better than any of those in the last 25-ish years.

Didn't they cover every X-Men storyline up to the end of the show? I honestly don't know of any X-Men story that is better than any of those in the last 25-ish years.
I recall that they got into the weeds from the Chris Claremont run, even bringing out Black Tom Cassidy. But there is no way they could have covered every X-storyline to that point. Too much there. Some, like the mutant massacre would have been too dark. And there were many stories were from the original team that wouldn't easily translate to the '90s version of the X-Men.

Would be hilarious to see Professor X lusting after a teenage Jean Grey, though.

I never watched any X-Men cartoons back in the day but I've seen enough clips of the main series to know that it wasn't for me. I was aware of the fan following but just figured it was one of those "after my time" things. Based on your and kara's posts I just checked out the Pryde of the X-Men pilot on YouTube and hell yeah I would have watched that. Felt like a Sunbow animation (GI Joe/Transformers) show.

This is amazing news and I hope the surviving cast could still do the voices and maybe adapt something like Grant Morrison's New X-Men run from the early 2000's. Quite surprised at the amount of negativity here since I could barely find anyone I know that didn't liked the show.

Back