Marvel Studios' The Eternals (November 6th, 2020)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw it the other day. Not bad. Not great either. Some of the visuals are amazing though.

I dont mind wokeness in films, but it feels like its rammed down my throat at times warching this. Its not any different than the girl power shot in endgame I guess.

I must have either missed it all or I'm not sensitive to it...I don't recall there being any woke stuff in this. The only film I've only ever rolled my eyes at was with Captain Marvel.

Then how do we explain Apocalypse, Logan, Selene, Xavier and so on and forth? Is every single Mutant going to be from [current day]? Nah, there's waaaaay too much lore in the X-Verse. That's more or less the same with AoS Inhumans, and it was underwhelming. You need the "superior race of the future/children of the atom" angle to properly do the X-Men, otherwise they're just another group of metas. I want Sinister going on tirades about Scott having to creampie Jean for the survival of the Mutant Race; nothing else will suffice.
I guess in my head, some aspects of X-Lore, like Apocalypse, just won't make the jump to the MCU, or will be tweaked in a way to fit in the universe. The MCU logically doesn't allow for mutants pre-existing in a large scale. But I guess you could also set it up so that the snap is responsible for a mutant explosion, but earlier attempts at messing with cosmic powers resulted in mutants here and there (see Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver). Wandavision set up the possibility that some people have innate powers that are amplified by the stones somehow. *Waves hand* More of that. Maybe 5000 years ago there was a cosmic event that made Apocalypse, but he's a lone survivor. Maybe Xavier, Magneto, Logan, and whatever other generation 1 mutants you want are from some earlier, less known event.

Saw it the other day. Not bad. Not great either. Some of the visuals are amazing though.

I must have either missed it all or I'm not sensitive to it...I don't recall there being any woke stuff in this. The only film I've only ever rolled my eyes at was with Captain Marvel.
When Ajak told Ikaris to know his place.

Not really woke though.

Don’t forget the most gross woke scene from EG though the A-Force group shot lol

I could see the conundrum of presenting the X-Men and not turning out like the Shiternals' where were you before? If they'll use the snap as the catalyst for mutation which can point to the effects of the infinity stones, then Xavier/Magneto and anybody from their generation would have to happen post snap. Apocalypse can be explained by having been in contact with the Tessaract from ancient times and caused his mutation. Obviously he has been dormant or asleep for centuries after some event.

The combination of the snap/infinity stone effect and the presence of a Celestial is what triggers mutation so that's why it happens on Earth but nowhere else.

I guess in my head, some aspects of X-Lore, like Apocalypse, just won't make the jump to the MCU, or will be tweaked in a way to fit in the universe. The MCU logically doesn't allow for mutants pre-existing in a large scale. But I guess you could also set it up so that the snap is responsible for a mutant explosion, but earlier attempts at messing with cosmic powers resulted in mutants here and there (see Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver). Wandavision set up the possibility that some people have innate powers that are amplified by the stones somehow. *Waves hand* More of that. Maybe 5000 years ago there was a cosmic event that made Apocalypse, but he's a lone survivor. Maybe Xavier, Magneto, Logan, and whatever other generation 1 mutants you want are from some earlier, less known event.
Eh, that just robs the property of its unique themes. They'll probably do it by way of an alternate Earth merge or something. X-Men without the lore isn't X-Men. I can see what you mentioned happening if they want to streamline things, but if they take such a route all of my interest will disappear.

Eh, that just robs the property of its unique themes. They'll probably do it by way of an alternate Earth merge or something. X-Men without the lore isn't X-Men. I can see what you mentioned happening if they want to streamline things, but if they take such a route all of my interest will disappear.
Yeah not sure how they will do this. Maybe Witch goes crazy and does something. Mr. Sinister would be a good first villain since he likes tampering with DNA and hasn't been ruined by Fox.

That little girl that plays sprite is a terrible actress. Most of the time she sounds like she's reading her lines off cue cards.

That little girl that plays sprite is a terrible actress. Most of the time she sounds like she's reading her lines off cue cards.
kids-suck-goonies.gif

Yeah not sure how they will do this. Maybe Witch goes crazy and does something. Mr. Sinister would be a good first villain since he likes tampering with DNA and hasn't been ruined by Fox.
Who knows? Maybe it's going to be Multiversal stuff. They could do a reverse House Of M in that mutants were around before the MCU, something happened and depowered them, people moved on, and now something happens again and undoes it. Or whatever. We'll see.

I am a man of my word. I downloaded this just to see the explicit thrusting in the sex scene that was so groundbreaking and earthshattering for a Marvel movie, so I could count the thrusts and turn it into a gif.

Well....there wasn't enough to work with.

There's ONE thrust. ONE. In this horribly underlit scene you can almost kind of barely make out the fact that Robb Stark's hips and ass have moved, then the camera immediately pans and the two actors just roll back and forth for a few fractions of a second, no thrusting.

I haven't watched a scene from daytime soaps in over 25 years but I gotta believe there's raunchier stuff going on in those.

The mature, adult, serious thrusting I was so looking forward to turned out to be just like everything else about this movie: completely and thoroughly empty and worthless, but oversold and hyped by the crooked media.

vlcsnap-2022-01-16-19h07m01s345.png

I didn't even realize that was supposed to be the "sex" scene in question.

I've seen more explicit simulated sex on america's funniest home videos.

Finally watched it on D+ the other day (my niece has a subscription), and I didn't think it was that bad. I mean, it's not good, but it's not a train wreck. It's not your usual light MCU fare, either.
First off, the visuals and cinematography were the best of any MCU movie. That alone was a breath of fresh air. The moral ambiguity of the Eternals, and some of their less than charismatic character traits were really interesting and I applaud the MCU for finally stepping away from their cookie-cutter approach. The thing is, it was just too much of everything to cram into one movie. Maybe if this had been a ZSJL type of excess it could've worked better, but with so many new characters and so many "deep" issues to tackle, there was no way it was going to work.
I wonder what they're going to do going forward, if they'll stay the course or try to move it back into less turbulent waters.
Speaking of waters, that Celestial's rise through the Earth's core and the ocean would have been catastrophic anyway... :lol

I am a man of my word. I downloaded this just to see the explicit thrusting in the sex scene that was so groundbreaking and earthshattering for a Marvel movie, so I could count the thrusts and turn it into a gif.

Well....there wasn't enough to work with.

There's ONE thrust. ONE. In this horribly underlit scene you can almost kind of barely make out the fact that Robb Stark's hips and ass have moved, then the camera immediately pans and the two actors just roll back and forth for a few fractions of a second, no thrusting.

I haven't watched a scene from daytime soaps in over 25 years but I gotta believe there's raunchier stuff going on in those.

The mature, adult, serious thrusting I was so looking forward to turned out to be just like everything else about this movie: completely and thoroughly empty and worthless, but oversold and hyped by the crooked media.

View attachment 556306
At least they went full IMAX for that one thrust though! :yess:

Finally catching up on all the phase 4 MCU movies now they are free. This was the 'best' for me of the three. Black Widow being entertaining until any action scene happened then the movie forgot her power set. Shang Chi was so pedestrian and boring, another MCU formula movie re-skinned to try and get Chinese money - I fell asleep and missed the second half of the second act.

This had too many characters but by the end of the movie I felt like a new them all which was some achievement. It started well and I was really enjoying the Cersei, Sprite and Jon Snow dynamic then ex-bf Icarus turned up making things awkward - that should really have been the focus / core of the characters. It then became a bit boring and slow with all the flashbacks that we decided to have an intermission and nearly stopped right there. Fortunately we didn't because the second half was actually quite interesting for the MCU.

As abake mentioned, the cinematography actually had some effort put into it and the characters actually felt somewhat real / human each trying to contend with the morale implications of the dilemma they faced. It was the first time since end game that I was actually interested in anything MCU beyond just tuning in out of obligation (I've yet to see spider-nan yet but I do want to).

It was a bit messy and was trying to accomplish too much for one movie with too many characters but it was better than the reviews at the time gave it credit for. It actually asked the audience to think and that's probably not a great idea for an MCU movie where most people turn up for the snappy one liners and obligatory sky beam fight at the end.

Agreed. One thing I forgot to mention, the opening scene on the beach was the worst part of the movie for me. It felt completely devoid of any drama and almost made me turn it off...

Back