Marvel Studios' The Eternals (November 6th, 2020)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally watched this last night (actually it took me two nights to finish it because the first 20-30 minutes bored me to tears) and I actually found myself enjoying it more than I thought I would. The characters seemed so bland and uninteresting in the beginning but by the end I did find myself caring about them and was interested in seeing how things turned out.

I was pretty surprised that the movie did feel like it had genuine stakes and despite the often ill-timed (but not always) quips it was quite dark in tone and almost had elements of horror with the whole "Cabin in the Woods" vibe of Earth being an egg that was about to hatch an uncaring planet-sized god. And now when you take the multiverse into account does that mean that Tobey and Garfield's Earths are *also* giant god eggs that are going to explode in their lifetimes? With no Avengers to show the Eternals of their universes that humans are worth saving because there won't be any snapping trillions of people back to life? *Shudder*

I think I still prefer to keep everything Phase 4 as separate from the Infinity Saga (and NWH) but I do really enjoy pondering the greater ramifications of movie plots like this and this one definitely delivered in that regard.

Last edited:
I finally watched this last night (actually it took me two nights to finish it because the first 20-30 minutes bored me to tears) and I actually found myself enjoying it more than I thought I would. The characters seemed so bland and uninteresting in the beginning but by the end I did find myself caring about them and was interested in seeing how things turned out.

I was pretty surprised that the movie did feel like it had genuine stakes and despite the often ill-timed (but not always) quips it was quite dark in tone and almost head elements of horror with the whole "Cabin in the Woods" vibe of Earth being an egg that was about to hatch an uncaring planet sized god. And now when you take the multiverse into account does that mean that Tobey and Garfield's Earths are *also* giant god eggs that are going to explode in their lifetimes? With no Avengers to show the Eternals of their universe that humans are worth saving because there won't be any snapping trillions of people back to life? *Shudder*

I think I still prefer to keep everything Phase 4 as separate from the Infinity Saga (and NWH) but I do really enjoy pondering the greater ramifications of movie plots like this and this movie definitely delivered in that regard.
I didn’t hate the movie but I simply can’t buy into their explanation that Thanos “snap” ideology was to stop the Celestials by eliminating HALF OF THE POWER SUPPLY feeding the sleeping celestial on Titan, Earth and around the universe.

I call BULLCRAP he wanted BALANCE end of story!

Leave that crap for The Matrix lol

It literally is the matrix only this time the Eternals are the ones who are living a lie and the humans are not in the matrix but still being used for energy.

The Celestials reasoning of Eternals/Deviants was also super convoluted.

Besides the sleeping Celestials would absorb way more power from the core of a planet than from human AA batteries.

Dumb lol

I didn’t hate the movie but I simply can’t buy into their explanation that Thanos “snap” ideology was to stop the Celestials by eliminating HALF OF THE POWER SUPPLY feeding the sleeping celestial on Titan, Earth and around the universe.

I call BULLCRAP he wanted BALANCE end of story!

Leave that crap for The Matrix lol

It literally is the matrix only this time the Eternals are the ones who are living a lie and the humans are not in the matrix but still being used for energy.

The Celestials reasoning of Eternals/Deviants was also super convoluted.

Besides the sleeping Celestials would absorb way more power from the core of a planet than from human AA batteries.
Also how would the "Emergence" not be common knowledge throughout the cosmos as countless planets would have witnessed and recorded other planets giving birth to Celestials over the millennia.

And I didn't think that they retconned Thanos into willfully wanting to stop the Celestials, I thought they just said that his snap inadvertently would have delayed them.

Also how would the "Emergence" not be common knowledge throughout the cosmos as countless planets would have witnessed and recorded other planets giving birth to Celestials over the millennia.

And I didn't think that they retconned Thanos into willfully wanting to stop the Celestials, I thought they just said that his snap inadvertently would have delayed them.
So in essence The Avengers almost killed the earth by re snapping lol

That’s why that baltimore ex con super soldier was all….

1642439533296.gif

This.

So in essence The Avengers almost killed the earth by re snapping lol

That’s why that baltimore ex con super soldier was all….

View attachment 556577
No, but as far as Arishem was concerned it was a course correction. The snap was really Arishem's fault though - if he hadn't tied the Eternals' hands (i.e., only allowing them to fight Deviants) they could have stopped Thanos. Also, I wonder how many OTHER Celestial births were delayed due to Thanos? He wiped out half of life in the entire universe - you'd think Arishem & the other Celestials would have been a bit more proactive once that occurred. Maybe they all were in their bacta tanks when it happened. Oh wait, wrong thread. :lol

No, but as far as Arishem was concerned it was a course correction. The snap was really Arishem's fault though - if he hadn't tied the Eternals' hands (i.e., only allowing them to fight Deviants) they could have stopped Thanos. Also, I wonder how many OTHER Celestial births were delayed due to Thanos? He wiped out half of life in the entire universe - you'd think Arishem & the other Celestials would have been a bit more proactive once that occurred. Maybe they all were in their bacta tanks when it happened. Oh wait, wrong thread. :lol
Well yes the Avengers resnapping everyone back into existence did speed up the Celestials awakening.

Also the……

You know what.

**** this movie lol

Maybe Arishem got dusted, lol.

I also just saw this for the first time a couple days ago. I thought it was fine, but in the lower tier of Marvel Studios films for me. The drama and character interaction, primarily, felt stilted and unnatural. Which is odd since they picked a director whose claim to fame is making great dramas. At one level, this is sensible, since these aren't actually people but. . .whatever they are. But I don't think this was by design. One reason could be that they throw all these different characters at us, with different relationships and personalities, and there was no way that could really breathe in a single movie. I found myself really liking the Druig guy, partly because he's so different than any other action or superhero character I've seen before. Something odd and compelling about that guy. I also liked Gilgamesh, but don't think he was supposed to be the former Avenger Gilgamesh that I remember as a kid. . .

file-20180816-2918-1pz5ku3.jpg

*I never read an Eternals comic, I don't think*

The Stark boys stood out as being heads and shoulders above most others in the acting department in my opinion. Best thing about this movie is probably that it allowed us to finally get Black Knight. Angelina Jolie kind of phoned it in.

Action was OK, but I've had about enough of CG monsters rolling around fighting CG superheroes. Not sure if I dislike that, or shakycam more.

Story as a whole was OK, but somewhat convoluted. Maybe I missed it, but why would the Celestials give the Eternals the ability to have a conscience and revolt at all? Also, seems like they created those guys pretty dang quick. So, why the need for memory cleansing? Why not just make new ones? And the idea that these near omnipotent creatures wouldn't have the foresight to understand that destroying all the predators on a planet is an incredibly stupid idea. . .

I thought Pip the Troll wasn't that great. Hopefully he's more likable and better CG next time he shows up.

Sersei: “We can’t get involved with humans other than protect them from Deviants!”

Thanos is a Deviant! :slap
Thanos, in the books, is an Eternal cursed with the Deviant syndrome; he's not an actual Deviant. In the movie lore where they're all robots, I don't understand how any of that works, especially with Thanos' planet and now the introduction of Starfox. The way they explained it in the comics with the recent retcon is that Eternals are all synthezoids of sorts, but Thanos was born out of two Eternals ******* and so he's a biological being, or as close as it gets to one. The lore got downright wrecked, I'll tell you that. I don't know what the Hell they were even thinking.

I also just saw this for the first time a couple days ago. I thought it was fine, but in the lower tier of Marvel Studios films for me. The drama and character interaction, primarily, felt stilted and unnatural. Which is odd since they picked a director whose claim to fame is making great dramas. At one level, this is sensible, since these aren't actually people but. . .whatever they are. But I don't think this was by design. One reason could be that they throw all these different characters at us, with different relationships and personalities, and there was no way that could really breathe in a single movie. I found myself really liking the Druig guy, partly because he's so different than any other action or superhero character I've seen before. Something odd and compelling about that guy. I also liked Gilgamesh, but don't think he was supposed to be the former Avenger Gilgamesh that I remember as a kid. . .

Story as a whole was OK, but somewhat convoluted. Maybe I missed it, but why would the Celestials give the Eternals the ability to have a conscience and revolt at all? Also, seems like they created those guys pretty dang quick. So, why the need for memory cleansing? Why not just make new ones? And the idea that these near omnipotent creatures wouldn't have the foresight to understand that destroying all the predators on a planet is an incredibly stupid idea. . .

I thought Pip the Troll wasn't that great. Hopefully he's more likable and better CG next time he shows up.
I think an underlying theme of the movie was that you shouldn't mess with natural evolution, and also that Arishem (or any Celestial for that matter) isn't perfect. He made one mistake by creating Deviants and giving them the ability to evolve to become the alpha predators on the seeded worlds, then compounded his error by doubling down with the Eternals. In order to defeat the Deviants they would also need to be able to adapt & evolve. Really only their fighting abilities & strategies needed to evolve, but by failing to sweat the details Arishem also gave them the ability to evolve emotionally. As for wiping their memories vs. making new ones, I suppose by the time he realized there was a problem he concluded it was the more expeditious solution. Yet another mistake lol.

Thanos, in the books, is an Eternal cursed with the Deviant syndrome; he's not an actual Deviant. In the movie lore where they're all robots, I don't understand how any of that works, especially with Thanos' planet and now the introduction of Starfox. The way they explained it in the comics with the recent retcon is that Eternals are all synthezoids of sorts, but Thanos was born out of two Eternals ******* and so he's a biological being, or as close as it gets to one. The lore got downright wrecked, I'll tell you that. I don't know what the Hell they were even thinking.
Yeah it’s super convoluted lol

file-20180816-2918-1pz5ku3.jpg

*I never read an Eternals comic, I don't think*

The Stark boys stood out as being heads and shoulders above most others in the acting department in my opinion. Best thing about this movie is probably that it allowed us to finally get Black Knight. Angelina Jolie kind of phoned it in.

Action was OK, but I've had about enough of CG monsters rolling around fighting CG superheroes. Not sure if I dislike that, or shakycam more.

Like my wife’s apple pie this movie was half baked.

Back