Marvel Studios - Moon Knight series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a one shot of the suit transformation, which has to be all CGI. I get your point though.
I know, it just looks extremely bad though. It literally looks like the Fortnite model :lol.

1652020683375.png
1652020724266.png

Surprisingly the movies don't always either, there's some questionable looking stuff in NWH too :lol
I honestly think at home viewing the NWH CGI is better than on the big screen. :dunno

The most notable bad CGI in theater was Black Panther. The end suits battle and the rhino didn't look good at all. Then Endgame where Thanos throws the rock before the last battle, the CGI motion was bad. With so much CGI, companies might just have to move on to get other things done in time.

I honestly think at home viewing the NWH CGI is better than on the big screen. :dunno

The most notable bad CGI in theater was Black Panther. The end suits battle and the rhino didn't look good at all. Then Endgame where Thanos throws the rock before the last battle, the CGI motion was bad. With so much CGI, companies might just have to move on to get other things done in time.
I was going to mention Black Panther. Oof.

To be fair, so much of it isn’t really their fault. You work with the deadlines and resources you’re given.

They have resources and they have time. They just wised up that the GA will eat up the MCU even if it looks like a badly redered PS3 cutscene, so they've stopped trying and "wasting" money.

d23f86f0de54126fe7507ef7eb02682f85-spider-man-home-2.1x.rsocial.w1200.jpg

doctor-strange-gargantos-clip-featured.jpg

And sometimes it’s the cinemas fault for not projecting the film correctly. For example, if the 3D equipment has not been removed from the projector the picture quality can look particularly bad and opticals/CG especially can look awful.

Tbh I almost never thought the CG looked dodgy in MK and am going to go back to that pool shot and have another look when I get the chance.

And sometimes it’s the cinemas fault for not projecting the film correctly. For example, if the 3D equipment has not been removed from the projector the picture quality can look particularly bad and opticals/CG especially can look awful.

Tbh I almost never thought the CG looked dodgy in MK and am going to go back to that pool shot and have another look when I get the chance.
And sometimes its just poor animation and rendering :lol

And sometimes its just poor animation and rendering :lol
I can remember when I went to a presentation that ILM at director Mark Moore did and he told me that John Knoll did this shot on his home computer. That blew me away. He also said they ran out of time doing shots for the special edition and just had to let it go with incomplete shots.

70487A52-1A56-448C-8A43-8368D80D1624.jpeg

Surprisingly the movies don't always either, there's some questionable looking stuff in NWH too :lol

^

I use this as a standard of bad special effects.

I saw Air Force One in the theaters so I saw this big and up close. People in the theater actually laughed.

SFX is so much more sophisticated now that I don't mind most of it most of the time. I mean compared to what I had growing up, it's incredible what's been achieved in the past 10 years.

What's incredible is "The Thing", the first version from John Carpenter. That still holds up even today, the practical effects. Also Cameron's Aliens in the mid 80's, that still looks really good. Blade Runner, Dark City, NeverEnding Story, etc, etc.

What I find most interesting is you can always make a scene darker. If you don't have much money for SFX or you can't get it done without pulling the viewer out of the "immersion", then just make it darker.

There are points in AVPR where I have no idea what's happening. It's literally like putting on a blindfold.

^

I use this as a standard of bad special effects.

I saw Air Force One in the theaters so I saw this big and up close. People in the theater actually laughed.

SFX is so much more sophisticated now that I don't mind most of it most of the time. I mean compared to what I had growing up, it's incredible what's been achieved in the past 10 years.

What's incredible is "The Thing", the first version from John Carpenter. That still holds up even today, the practical effects. Also Cameron's Aliens in the mid 80's, that still looks really good. Blade Runner, Dark City, NeverEnding Story, etc, etc.

What I find most interesting is you can always make a scene darker. If you don't have much money for SFX or you can't get it done without pulling the viewer out of the "immersion", then just make it darker.

There are points in AVPR where I have no idea what's happening. It's literally like putting on a blindfold.

The best summary I have on modern special effects is that if you don’t even notice they’re there, then they’ve done their job. But as a result, you only notice the ones that stand out in the wrong ways.

I know, it just looks extremely bad though. It literally looks like the Fortnite model :lol.

View attachment 576122View attachment 576123
Your screenshots highlight that the CG in the show is pretty good. It’s lit so it doesn’t come across as flat white, there are shadows everywhere, inside the hood, under the pecs, his upper right arm is correctly darker. There is a ton more detail, like the dirtiness of the sash, the lines in the belt, the crescent moon blade has more detail. The more I look at it, it looks beautifully rendered, a ton of fine detail. My only complaint in that scene is that Oscar Isaac’s head is badly integrated with the CG suit. A common problem. It’s the exact same problem with Tony Stark on Titan in Infinity War.

Your screenshots highlight that the CG in the show is pretty good. It’s lit so it doesn’t come across as flat white, there are shadows everywhere, inside the hood, under the pecs, his upper right arm is correctly darker. There is a ton more detail, like the dirtiness of the sash, the lines in the belt, the crescent moon blade has more detail. The more I look at it, it looks beautifully rendered, a ton of fine detail. My only complaint in that scene is that Oscar Isaac’s head is badly integrated with the CG suit. A common problem. It’s the exact same problem with Tony Stark on Titan in Infinity War.
Looks blatantly fake to me, almost distractingly so, especially in motion.

Back