Marvel Masterworks vs Marvel Epic Collection

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Knight_89

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi all!

I am looking to pick up some TPBs of content from Marvel's silver age, and was wondering what the general consensus was on which was better;

Marvel Masterworks TPBs

detail.jpg

Marvel Epic Collections TPBs

clean.jpg

I appreciate that the Epic Collections contain more issues that their Masterworks equivalents, but was wondering if there were any other major differences noted from anybody who has owned both?

Thanks in advance!

As I recall, Masterworks (only have some of the Daredevil HCs) are primarily chronological while Epic Collections collects issues based on story arcs.

As I recall, Masterworks (only have some of the Daredevil HCs) are primarily chronological while Epic Collections collects issues based on story arcs.

Thank you. Yes, I think that whilst the Epic Collections are also intended to cover complete chronological series' (despite being released out of chronological order), I believe they do intend to cover specific arcs (which is why I think the number of issues included differs from the MW).

The epic collections also collect graphic novels and crossovers. They will have more issues in the long run but the masterworks are genuinely on better paper. Either option is good but both versions do have unique titles that they are doing.

The Epic Collections are much more than just story arcs. Their plan with the EC's is to eventually to allow you to have a character's entire run in TPB form. That's why they have such staggered and seemingly out of sequence volume numbers.

Thanks for all the responses!

Does anybody have any thoughts or feelings on which series is better, from a content or quality perspective?

I prefer the epic collections because they come out more frequently and and since they collect the graphic novels and crossovers you can have a complete run on the titles. Each collection lists the years that they came out also. I just wish they would get some other title collections going for Spider-Man collecting Web of Spider-Man and Peter Parker. If you like hardcover collections Omnibuses are also good but expensive especially when they go out of print.

Hi all!

I am looking to pick up some TPBs of content from Marvel's silver age, and was wondering what the general consensus was on which was better;

Marvel Masterworks TPBs

Bear in mind the Marvel Masterworks TPB line was discontinued when the Epic TPB line started.

Thanks for all the responses!

Does anybody have any thoughts or feelings on which series is better, from a content or quality perspective?

If you're looking for sheer quality, go for the Masterwork hardcovers, but lots of them are out of print and expensive. The Epics are a great alternative, though, if you don't mind them being soft cover and having cheaper paper - still not a bad paper, mind you. Content is pretty much the same, but Epics give you more bang for your money, since every volume has more issues.

Back