Mamegyorai 1:2 scale ALIEN head

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mamegyorai always seems to have trouble with the dome fit, or maybe that's accurate to the original. Here's some pics from IG ewer-ebichan.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220925-184001~2.png
    Screenshot_20220925-184001~2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220925-184017~2.png
    Screenshot_20220925-184017~2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220925-183945~2.png
    Screenshot_20220925-183945~2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
As mentioned before here, that was entirely intentional, and was a direct copy from the examples they used, to be "screen accurate" to the original pieces Giger created. The dome fitment issue you're likely referring to was their 1:3 scale Big Chap, actor in the suit bent over/resting on his knees pose. That one was a bear to get the fitment right, and they even supplied double-stick tape to help people get it on there correctly.

abake, I agree with that sentiment. If 'screen accurate' or 'movie accurate' is one's priority, then yeah, should be mostly black, with few and/or subtle variations in color. Much like the Cool Props offering. My personal taste is such that I love the unique takes on color and shading that a professional painter provides. All that aide though, I think with this piece in particular, people are dissatisfied with the overall poor paintwork done, and less-so the fact that it's just mostly black.
Yeah, agreed.
I also love to see some of the fantastic interpretations in paint apps by talented folks. I can honestly say there is no other creature/character that I find as fascinating as Giger's creature. There is simply so much to study, analyse and admire in the design, all that coupled with a great movie, and you have a true original. It's probaby unhealthy, the amount of time I've spent poring over photos of the alien...

My dream job would be to serve as creative consultant on these alien statues/figures... I've even contacted some of the companies, but I suppose I've never made a very strong impression! :lol
I can however, lay claim to having helped out with feedback and suggestions on NECA's Giger alien. :yess:
Unfortunately I could never convince Kyle of reworking the face/mouth area. :gah:

As mentioned before here, that was entirely intentional, and was a direct copy from the examples they used, to be "screen accurate" to the original pieces Giger created. The dome fitment issue you're likely referring to was their 1:3 scale Big Chap, actor in the suit bent over/resting on his knees pose. That one was a bear to get the fitment right, and they even supplied double-stick tape to help people get it on there correctly.
I don't think it is intentional. The last dome looks like crap. Same as the other one I saw. It shouldn't gap toward the front like that. These looked slapped together with very little finishing or test fitting.

4.jpg

Came back to look at the Mamegyorai sculpt to compare with the Queen Studios one, and I do prefer this one, subdued paint apps and all.
Looking at the pics above, it seems to me that the dome is not properly fitted, especially on the example on the right.

Looking at the pics above, it seems to me that the dome is not properly fitted, especially on the example on the right.
That was intentional, as the reference head they used ALSO had that type of fitment on it. This wasn't an oversight or mistake. Everything about this 1:2 scale head was designed to be exactly like the reference they were using. I don't have those photos on my computer here but others may have them, which more clearly shows how the plastic dome was kind of just resting on the head like that.

Oh, I know the intention behind it, but it still seems to me that the dome is not positioned correctly at the front. In the video I posted a while back it seems the front part adjusts more tightly.

On reflection, I'm glad these weren't widely available. I definitely would have grabbed one based on the early prototype. Bullet dodged....

Also Mamegyorai really need to figure out how to poroduce domes if they wish to carry on making high end Alien collectibles. It was bad enough originally (The intentional bit for whatever reason) The production is worse...

Also Mamegyorai really need to figure out how to poroduce domes if they wish to carry on making high end Alien collectibles. It was bad enough originally (The intentional bit for whatever reason) The production is worse...
I can vouch for their awful dome on the 1:3 scale 'man in the suit'. IMHO, that statue is quite nearly perfect, except for the colossal fail that is the dome, which must be heated with a hair dryer, then affixed with double-sided tape, which they even provide. Can you imagine the way they just gave up at some point and the decision was made to throw in a small piece of double-sided 3M tape for each customer to (hopefully, maybe) get the dome to stay on correctly? I heated mine up, then wrapped rubber bands over it while it cooled in place, AND used the stupid tape, only to have this inevitably happen over time (see pic). The dome pulls away from the skull, and in the image you can see the bit of sticky tape pulling away. I hear some lucky few are able to get it to stay, but it seems to be hit-or-miss with a majority have issues with fitment. The only positive is that they pretty much nailed the skull darkening airbrushing: not too much, not too little.

Attachments

• HipstamaticPhoto-695865784.600846.jpg
    HipstamaticPhoto-695865784.600846.jpg
    530.9 KB · Views: 0
I can vouch for their awful dome on the 1:3 scale 'man in the suit'. IMHO, that statue is quite nearly perfect, except for the colossal fail that is the dome, which must be heated with a hair dryer, then affixed with double-sided tape, which they even provide. Can you imagine the way they just gave up at some point and the decision was made to throw in a small piece of double-sided 3M tape for each customer to (hopefully, maybe) get the dome to stay on correctly? I heated mine up, then wrapped rubber bands over it while it cooled in place, AND used the stupid tape, only to have this inevitably happen over time (see pic). The dome pulls away from the skull, and in the image you can see the bit of sticky tape pulling away. I hear some lucky few are able to get it to stay, but it seems to be hit-or-miss with a majority have issues with fitment. The only positive is that they pretty much nailed the skull darkening airbrushing: not too much, not too little.
I didn't use the tape on mine and it's pretty much stayed where it was. I don't like snapping it back down in place after reassembly though. I always worry about the paint. Doesn't seem to do any damage though.

Back