Mamegyorai 1:2 scale ALIEN head

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another highly translucent dome, I see :rolleyes:

Even in this well lit production photo
image.png

You can barely get an inkling of the skull inside.

That's because the dome misted up due to condensation being produced by the heat from the studio lights. The dome was in fact completely translucent.

Honestly I think I have seen a picture of a pile of heads and they all had different shading, which was dependent on the scene.

Exactly. Imagine all the work that went into producing this, only to completely drop the ball at the last second with the paint. Every company does this. They all parade the hand-painted Artist's Proof around the web to drum up interest, and then back at the factory they had the guy a dry paintbrush and a shaker can of spray paint. You can see where they over-applied the black and it collected in spots obscuring detail from the sculpting. Almost 100% of releases like these are let-downs when it comes to the paint application (Prime 1 Dog being the only exception that comes to mind). It's almost bait-and-switch, the difference between the prototype and the final product. Boy they aren't kidding when they put the legal disclaimer: "Prototype only. Final product may different from photos." Hell yeah it's going to differ. By a lot. Every time. I worked hard to try to procure one of these for myself, and now all of that anxiety has washed over me after seeing the final production pieces. I'm glad I didn't sink $1500 to own one of these.

I believe you mean transparent. I've seen pics of the dome not on set where it isn't crystal clear as well.
:) Yes, correct. Thank you.

I would want any Big Chap I bought, especially a premium item like this, to look like what I saw in the film. It doesn't matter to me how it may actually have looked at some point behind the scenes, when the difference in one area is so stark compared to it's screen appearance.
If I had ever bought this, I would want to get the interior of that dome frosted and tinted to make skull far less visible. But that's me.

It's a great looking sculpt, though at this scale I would definitely want to see part of the creatures sternum and back tubes, as in a traditional bust. I wasn't keen on the cut of the Queen piece initially, but the design choices Queen made have grown on me a lot since.

I agree that I would rather have how something looks on screen versus how it looks in real life. A lot of costumes are post-production cgi these days and you wouldn't want a statue of how something was filmed on green screen, but rather how it looks in the actual film.

I saw some more production photos that look worse than what was already posted. Giant gap in the dome around the front. Of course, I cannot find them now. I just look at this as an overpriced oddity that not a lot of people own. Here are some pics of one repainted by Eno. He probably just builds up on what is already there. He also has his own style which is definitely Giger-ish, but not entirely screen-accurate.
IMG_8469.JPG
IMG_8468.JPG
IMG_8467.JPG
IMG_8466.JPG
IMG_8465.JPG
IMG_8464.JPG
IMG_8461.JPG
IMG_8459.JPG
IMG_8462.JPG

See, yeah, this is how they should've come from the factory. A pro repaint is what's needed on this, unfortunately. And how you're almost double the price.

You know, the more I look at photos of the actual suit, the more I think that people are going overboard with the detailing in some of those repaints.
A lot of what people see on screen (and some BTS photos) has to do with lighting and other factors, such as damage to the suit and the KY-Jelly actually dissolving the paint; not really with the way Giger painted the suit.
I know there's also a photo of the suit (or maybe the statue?) looking almost white with a lot of Giger's characteristic swirls and patterns, but that looks like a WIP and not an actual screen-used suit.
I think if we were to look at the actual thing in regular lighting conditions, it'd look mostly black with some very faint detailing...

abake, I agree with that sentiment. If 'screen accurate' or 'movie accurate' is one's priority, then yeah, should be mostly black, with few and/or subtle variations in color. Much like the Cool Props offering. My personal taste is such that I love the unique takes on color and shading that a professional painter provides. All that aide though, I think with this piece in particular, people are dissatisfied with the overall poor paintwork done, and less-so the fact that it's just mostly black.

I saw some more production photos that look worse than what was already posted. Giant gap in the dome around the front. Of course, I cannot find them now. I just look at this as an overpriced oddity that not a lot of people own. Here are some pics of one repainted by Eno. He probably just builds up on what is already there. He also has his own style which is definitely Giger-ish, but not entirely screen-accurate.
View attachment 599965View attachment 599967View attachment 599968View attachment 599969View attachment 599970View attachment 599971View attachment 599972View attachment 599973View attachment 599974
What's up with that honeycomb dome??

Back